Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-28-2013, 07:52   #1
seanmac45
CLM Number 38
Charter Lifetime Member

Perfect Night With My Son

Living in NYC it is very difficult to find a way to introduce young people to the shooting sports. About one month ago I was invited to a police range outside of the city for a Halloween Zombie Shoot for LEO's and their families. Children were welcome to come and shoot under parental supervision.

I metioned it to my 16 year old and he jumped at the chance to accompany me. We spent the intervening time frame with me teaching him basic firearms safety and handling (dry, no live ammo) at home. I gave him six different handguns to dry fire so he could pick the one he liked best. He chose my old NYPD 2nd Gen Glock 26.

I provided him with his own gunbelt, a custom OWB holster (I only carry IWB) and a combo mag pouch/flashlight holder. We got him some Peltor hearing protection and a good set of shooting glasses. I had him practicing (dry) with a timer set for par and he was getting shots off from the holster in under a second. All of this was the in-house preparation for his first live fire event.

Well, Saturday evening it all came together. He stood on the seven yard line, and on my command drew and center punched his zombie target. His smile lit up the whole range even though it was dark. He proceeded to go through about 150 rounds of ammo and had a grand time.

He was amazed to see Thor shooting a shotgun and a Storm Trooper wielding an AR-15 (it was a costume party/shoot). There was hot food, cakes and lots of interesting people for him to chat with. We helped someone who was having problems with a Kel Tec and he listened in as one of the range officers and I discussed a safety issue which was rectified quickly.

He was astounded when he got home and discovered that the Halloween goody bag he was handed at the entrance to the event contained not candy but rather 9mm rounds painted to look like candy corn. His first target is the Halloween decoration on our front door. He wanted to put a sign on it "ZOMBIES, ROBBERS AND LIBERALS NOT WELCOME HERE" I laughed my ass off at that one.

Truly this was one of the most enjoyable bonding experiences we have had together. He admitted he was terrified the first time I had him go hot on the line, but after the first round he had a blast (pun intended).

I know this is the 1911 forum so in keeping with the theme let me relate that I was shooting my WC CQB Elite which purred along like a kitten and garnered some interest from the other shooters on the line. I posted this in here because I prefer the company of this and the LEO areas to all others.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited by seanmac45; 10-28-2013 at 07:53..
seanmac45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:00   #2
NMG26

Cool.

Glad is was a good family affair.

Thanks for posting.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
NMG26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:28   #3
20South

This is a great post and really glad you two could share that experience. Thanks for the post!
Old 10-28-2013, 09:05   #4
seanmac45
CLM Number 38
Charter Lifetime Member

Thanks very much.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:11   #5
Baba Louie

seanmac45,
I'm sure your son will also remember it as a special Father/Son moment, because truly, it was.
Quote:
"ZOMBIES, ROBBERS AND LIBERALS NOT WELCOME HERE"
Are you sure he's not a member here already?

Excellent story and congrats on raising a fine young man.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13
Baba Louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 15:40   #6
seanmac45
CLM Number 38
Charter Lifetime Member

Thank you, sir.

He's alright in my book!
Old 10-28-2013, 16:07   #7
Joshhtn
The eBay Guy

Great stuff!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Joshhtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 17:01   #8
RLB

Sounds like a great time was had by both.
RLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 17:17   #9
b1det

I love reading stuff like this
b1det is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 15:50   #10
bac1023

Great story

Thanks for sharing...

bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 18:13   #11
qwiksdraw

Hey, this was almost as much fun to read as I guess it was to have been there!

I Miss America
qwiksdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:05   #12
bill1981

Sounds like a heck of a good time at the range!
bill1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 13:10   #13
Billy10mm

That's awesome! Congrats.

I'm about 20 miles north of you in Westchester county (lived in Brooklyn prior to this) and there's a private range about two miles from my apartment in Ardsley. I have a yearly membership and they allow me to bring "friends" for a $10 fee. My sons and I (7 and almost 5) like to go on Saturday or Sunday mornings around 10:30 ... any time you and your son are interested, you're welcome to join us. Send me a PM if interested.
H&K P30S 9mm
Ruger SR22
Billy10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 16:06   #14
seanmac45
CLM Number 38
Charter Lifetime Member

Billy;

Thank you very much for that offer. I just may take you up on it when work permits.

Sean
Old 10-30-2013, 17:19   #15
MinervaDoe

I bought my son a Marlin XT-22 a couple of years ago. He doesn't always want to go to the range, but when he does, he's always proud of bringing home a target with one tight ragged hole in it.

I bought a Kimber .22 LR conversion kit for my 1911, but he hasn't wanted to shoot that yet. I don't really push him on how often we shoot. When he feels the urge, he lets me know.
MinervaDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 19:39   #16
seanmac45
CLM Number 38
Charter Lifetime Member

Yes, exactly. You can't push them. I waited until he showed an interest and then provided training.
Old 10-30-2013, 20:20   #17
ithaca_deerslayer

Glad he had fun!

Upstate the kids have plenty of shooting opportunities. Every cub scout parent in our den has guns. Even some of the mom's hunt and have pistol permits too

Old 10-30-2013, 20:44   #18
steve1988

Could the stormtrooper hit anything with the AR?
Thomas Paine: "...arms...discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. ...Horrid mischief would ensue were (the law-abiding) deprived the use of them."
steve1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:07   #19
seanmac45
CLM Number 38
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1988 View Post
Could the stormtrooper hit anything with the AR?
He wasn't too bad. God knows how he sighted through that helmet.
Old 11-02-2013, 19:11   #20
#5xbr

any type of bonding is worth a huge amount down the line. thx for sharing
#5xbr is offline   Reply With Quote