Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-29-2013, 13:16   #1
bigmoney890

Aimpoint Comp M2

I stumbled into a pawn shop in town that just recently moved locations. Saw the usual over priced old guns and triple priced ammo. As I was walking out I spotted a red dot, the price said $199 with an interesting cantilever mount. Figured it was a strikefire, but when I picked it up, it was an Aimpoint Comp M2. I turned it on, adjusted the brightness setting all the way to high and the dot was perfectly crisp and clean. I know it's a hell of a deal, but I'm not sure if it's real. Can anyone tell some major differences between the Chinese and Legit Aimpoints. The only thing that I 100% remember is that it definitely said "Made in Sweden."

If I can get some positive proof of real vs fake, i'm going back tomorrow to grab it if it's real.

Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by bigmoney890; 10-29-2013 at 13:38..
bigmoney890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 13:32   #2
bullittmcqueen
Gunfighter

Well for one thing, aimpoint would not misspell Sweden.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

bullittmcqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 13:40   #3
bigmoney890

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullittmcqueen View Post
Well for one thing, aimpoint would not misspell Sweden.
Haha, that's my fault, typing to fast. Edited it. bullitt, are you the same guy from YouTube that does the 3gun stuff?

ETA: I couldn't see your signature on the mobile app, you're the same guy haha

Last edited by bigmoney890; 10-29-2013 at 16:20..
Old 10-29-2013, 14:32   #4
Samuel_Hoggson

http://www.aimpoint.com/products/cou...opies/16-tips/

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_18/367860_.html

$200 is a great buy. M2s are great optics. Mine is something like 9 years old, is on my dad's 6920. The original battery is still works just fine. That one year battery life spec relates to units left on a visible setting for one year. Sam
Samuel_Hoggson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 14:46   #5
collim1
Shower Time!

Hurry up and go back there! If it is real thats a heck of a deal. Look on Aimpoints site for how to spot fakes. Go back up there and verify its real and buy it.

http://www.aimpoint.com/us/products/...opies/16-tips/
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 16:31   #6
bigmoney890

Between the Arfcom posting and the tips from the Aimpoint site, I'm ready to go inspect the optics first thing tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully it's real. Plus it comes with a horrendous mount that I'm not going to use. Hopefully I can convince the guy to take some price off the deal since I don't want the mount. It can't hurt to try

Old 10-29-2013, 20:45   #7
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmoney890 View Post
Between the Arfcom posting and the tips from the Aimpoint site, I'm ready to go inspect the optics first thing tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully it's real. Plus it comes with a horrendous mount that I'm not going to use. Hopefully I can convince the guy to take some price off the deal since I don't want the mount. It can't hurt to try
Be prepared to call/email Aimpoint and give them the serial number. Given your area, a Comp M2 that's too cheap to be true could very well have fallen off the back of a truck going in or out of a certain local base. Getting caught with such an item (without proof that you got it in such a way that you didn't know it was stolen) will land you in some SERIOUSLY hot water, along with the shop where you bought it.

Check this link out, too.
Old 10-29-2013, 21:07   #8
bigmoney890

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenPlank View Post
Be prepared to call/email Aimpoint and give them the serial number. Given your area, a Comp M2 that's too cheap to be true could very well have fallen off the back of a truck going in or out of a certain local base. Getting caught with such an item (without proof that you got it in such a way that you didn't know it was stolen) will land you in some SERIOUSLY hot water, along with the shop where you bought it.

Check this link out, too.
Appreciate the tip about the serial number, I'll give them a shout when I'm at the store. I've recently moved up to the mountains so I'm not near any bases anymore, not to say it couldn't be stolen military property, but it's far more unlikely up here. I asked how long he had it and he told me he's had it over a year or so and lost it. When they moved locations two weeks ago, he found it, and I'm thinking that's why it's so cheap. Either that, or it's a fake.

Old 10-29-2013, 21:11   #9
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Appreciate the tip about the serial number, I'll give them a shout when I'm at the store. I've recently moved up to the mountains so I'm not near any bases anymore, not to say it couldn't be stolen military property, but it's far more unlikely up here. I asked how long he had it and he told me he's had it over a year or so and lost it. When they moved locations two weeks ago, he found it, and I'm thinking that's why it's so cheap. Either that, or it's a fake.
Calling Aimpoint with the serial can also help ID a fake. Plus, don't be surprised if it did fall off a truck - stuff that has done that tends to migrate once it's off the reservation.
Old 10-29-2013, 21:46   #10
bigmoney890

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenPlank View Post
Calling Aimpoint with the serial can also help ID a fake. Plus, don't be surprised if it did fall off a truck - stuff that has done that tends to migrate once it's off the reservation.

Well, I sure hope it didn't fall off a truck, and I sure hope it's real. I'd love to snag a Comp M2.

Old 10-30-2013, 11:47   #11
bigmoney890

Just picked up the sight. Talked him to $187 out the door without the horrendous mount. He "guaranteed" it to be real on the phone, so when I showed up, I did the once over just to make sure, and everything checked out just fine.

Had serial number, fine threads on the front of the optic, font was correct, Aimpoint was on all the covers, and only had a single well made battery, all of which were indications of the real deal. I'm super excited, hopefully I don't get contacted by the CID and they seize my optic

Old 10-30-2013, 12:59   #12
PaLEOjd

Go to the Aimpoint webpage and register the optic. I would definately call them as well to give them the serial number. They will be able to tell you if it was registered before, who had it registered, and if it is in fact real.

You may be suprised at how authentic the clones look. Just about identical on the outside side by side with Ainpoint. Hopefully for your sake all checks out and it's the real deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire mobile app
Old 11-01-2013, 09:49   #13
bullittmcqueen
Gunfighter

Quote:
Just picked up the sight. Talked him to $187 out the door without the horrendous mount. He "guaranteed" it to be real on the phone, so when I showed up, I did the once over just to make sure, and everything checked out just fine.

Had serial number, fine threads on the front of the optic, font was correct, Aimpoint was on all the covers, and only had a single well made battery, all of which were indications of the real deal. I'm super excited, hopefully I don't get contacted by the CID and they seize my optic
If it all checks out, sounds like you got a heck of a deal.

bullittmcqueen is offline   Reply With Quote