Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-30-2013, 10:25   #101
Syclone0538

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkdweller22 View Post
If you don't agree with the definitions above, that's ok; humor me
Sorry about participating in the derailing of your thread. It seems to happen a lot around here.

Quote:
Where the negation is placed (I believe there is no God vs. I don't believe there is a God/Gods), although seemingly trivial, creates vastly different statements.
It's good to see a theist that understands this.
Syclone0538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:35   #102
arkdweller22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syclone0538 View Post
Sorry about participating in the derailing of your thread. It seems to happen a lot around here.
No worries. I'm actually surprised it stayed on course as long as it did.

Quote:
It's good to see a theist that understands this.
Thanks for noticing. It's a nuance that most folks don't understand. Probably because they don't want to.
arkdweller22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:37   #103
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
So in your opinion, there are no atheists on GT?
There might be.

Just saying that I was speaking obout the "out there" as opposed to specific GT members.

America is culturally Christian. We have Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny. Anyone who doesn't believe in those two things is out to start trouble

A lot of what I accept about Christianity is culture. You want god on money or in the pledge? That's fine with me. You want Jesus' picture hanging on walls. Fine. Wear the cross, fine. Say God bless you, fine.

No beer on Sunday? Not ok.

I preach to fellow agnostics/atheists that we should be tolerant of Christians.

Tolerant of Muslims? Sure. But they gotta take the scarf off to get an ID photo. And they sure are not welcome to bring over some of the cultural ideals such as murdering girls who go to school.

And we already have Christian holidays as official state holidays, so we have no room for Muslim holidays.

Like I said, America is culturally Christian. That goes for the Jews, too. They have to live in a Christian world in America. They have to celebrate, or tolerate, Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny too.

You all have the right to your own religion, but Christianity has already been adopted into the secular, and adopted by the American government. I see no reason to change things that just happen to have a Christian origin.

Keep the baby Jesus manger display in the town park at Christmas time, for heaven's sake.
ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:48   #104
void *
Dereference Me!

Quote:
There doesn't. I never said there had to be. I think if you read the complete thread, you'll see that.
I think this is just a matter of the wording "What is the purpose of the universe?" holding an implicit assumption that there is a purpose.

You may not have explicitly stated that there had to be a purpose, but I think it's fair to state that the wording at least implies that you think there is. That seem fair?

I mean, based on reading the thread I think you think there is a purpose, but you admit it's possible there's not. If I'm off on that let me know.

Me, I think "Is there a purpose to the universe?" or "Can we determine whether or not there is a purpose to the universe?" is a better starting point.
"The human mind is seldom satisfied, and is not justifiable by any natural process whatsoever, as regards geometry, our universe differs only slightly from a long-term, bi-directional, single trait selection experiment." -- Maxwell/Einstein/Johansson
void * is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:53   #105
arkdweller22

Quote:
Originally Posted by void * View Post
I think this is just a matter of the wording "What is the purpose of the universe?" holding an implicit assumption that there is a purpose.

You may not have explicitly stated that there had to be a purpose, but I think it's fair to state that the wording at least implies that you think there is. That seem fair?

I mean, based on reading the thread I think you think there is a purpose, but you admit it's possible there's not. If I'm off on that let me know.

Me, I think "Is there a purpose to the universe?" or "Can we determine whether or not there is a purpose to the universe?" is a better starting point.
That is a fair assessment.

I understand that the question was worded in a way that assumes a purpose. Would you expect it any other way from a theist? The question was asked from my perspective so it will be tainted with my beliefs and experiences.
Should have I phrased it with my audience's possible perspective in mind? That would have been more efficient.
Had I done that I wouldn't have needed the clarification you cited. I wanted to make clear that no assumptions need be made of the question, despite the seemingly implicit assumption of a purpose.

Thanks for the suggestion and the way in which you approached it.
arkdweller22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 13:31   #106
Glock36shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalry Doc View Post
I see a lot of people trying to legislate for their positions. Luckily, we have a lot of checks and balances that seem to do a fairly good job of keeping things out of the extreme.
Doesn't always stop them. We have a group of school teachers here that will have to be dealt with in the near future because they thinks it's their duty to spread the gospel to children in class. THAT is why we stay on our toes. I want those teachers to be able to believe whatever they want in their private life... that's their right. But they WILL NOT bring it into the schools. I'll make sure they lose their position as educator if they continue.

Quote:
Abortion is legal, prayer is not forced
Wasn't always true was it? It's called progress.

Quote:
It's not so bad here.
It could be better.

Quote:
You've bragged about turning theists before, were they politically overbearing in their beliefs, and that's why you made the effort?
Yeah, I've freed a few. That's me personally. Not all Non-Believers.

Theory:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Grace:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Big Bang:
Glock36shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 14:01   #107
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock36shooter View Post
Doesn't always stop them. We have a group of school teachers here that will have to be dealt with in the near future because they thinks it's their duty to spread the gospel to children in class. THAT is why we stay on our toes. I want those teachers to be able to believe whatever they want in their private life... that's their right. But they WILL NOT bring it into the schools. I'll make sure they lose their position as educator if they continue.

Wasn't always true was it? It's called progress.

It could be better.

Yeah, I've freed a few. That's me personally. Not all Non-Believers.
Funny, when they convert people, they call it "saving" them. Similar approach.

How could it be better than the first amendment approach?

Of those that you "freed", how many of those were politically active theists pushing for policy that you did not agree with?

Last edited by Cavalry Doc; 10-30-2013 at 14:02..
Cavalry Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 14:10   #108
Glock36shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalry Doc View Post
Funny, when they convert people, they call it "saving" them. Similar approach.

How could it be better than the first amendment approach?

Of those that you "freed", how many of those were politically active theists pushing for policy that you did not agree with?
I can see it's pointless trying to have a conversation with you. You just want to drive the conversation back to the only thing you talk about.

Theory:

Grace:

Big Bang:
Glock36shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 14:14   #109
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock36shooter View Post
I can see it's pointless trying to have a conversation with you. You just want to drive the conversation back to the only thing you talk about.
Why are you uncomfortable answering simple questions about things you've said?

I'm guessing by the sudden scampering, that maybe they weren't politically active, no threat to your freedom, and you had other motivations.

Maybe you aren't in agreement with the first amendment approach either?

Kinda makes you wonder, huh?

Last edited by Cavalry Doc; 10-30-2013 at 14:16..
Cavalry Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:52   #110
lomfs24

Send a message via AIM to lomfs24 Send a message via Yahoo to lomfs24
I would have to say that I don't BELIEVE there is a God/god/gods... that would make me atheist. I can't prove whether he really exists or not but there doesn't seem to be any overwhelming evidence that he does. Much the same way there is no evidence that pixies exist in my garden. That would make me an agnostic atheist.

I agree with the people on here who say that the question of the purpose of the universe makes the assertion that the universe has a purpose and that me must now find the purpose. I just don't see that. Like DonCT, I feel that the universe just is. Likewise, being a member of the animal kingdom that has evolved just like everything else, we also have no other purpose than to propagate the species, and do I ever have fun doing my best.
Now, there are things that we can do to make our lives more enjoyable and the lives of others around us more enjoyable. But I don't really consider them to be things that cause us to have purpose, nor are they our purpose.
The simple believeth every word: but the prudent man looketh well to his going. ~Proverbs 14:15
lomfs24 is offline   Reply With Quote