Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-11-2013, 17:55   #1
Nick.45

Power Surge through Satellite Coaxial Cable

So like the title says, took a power surge during a storm that came in through the satellite Coax. It took out both my Directv receivers, 37in Vizio LCD TV, my PS3 no longer puts any signal to the TV although it still powers on and off, and the HDMI ports on another TV. I am trying to see if there is a fix for the blown HDMI Ports on the one working TV. It is an HP 32in, model number is LC3260N. Any help is appreciated.
Nick.45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 22:02   #2
kc8ykd

easiest fix? call your insurance company and see if you have coverage.

most consumer electronics these days aren't very easy or economical to repair (sans non-laptop computers maybe)..

the tricky thing with electrical surges is that they can affect items in all sorts of unpredictable ways and may not necessarily manifest a problem immediately.
kc8ykd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 07:04   #3
boomhower

I had the same thing happen, sucks. I got off with one TV, a DVD player, and a DirecTV DVR. Use your DirecTV insurance but the rest just pay out of pocket. A few electronics is not worth filing a claim on your home.
boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 17:23   #4
Pierre!
NRA Life Member

Just got Charter cable established again...

The *FIRST* thing the tech did was undo the CATV feed from the surge protector and take it direct to the Charter cable box.

So I said "Charter insuring my equipment now? What will y'all do if a lightning strike takes out my equipment???"

Tech proceeds to tell me their equipment is grounded - and that nothing could possibly happen.

THE NEXT story was about a lady he was installing who caught a surge while he was working on the system and smoked the TV as he watched.

He left, I fixed it the right way...

I get enough Koolaid in my life, don't need the Charter Koolaid too...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Download YOUR copy of
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

My Gift to You, AND it's >FREE<
Pierre! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 13:27   #5
W4CNG

Send a message via AIM to W4CNG
My Direct TV cable from the dish has a surge protector where it enters the house and is tied to an 8 foot ground rod just below it. Not sure about the cable boxes power cords but my Direct TV receivers have two pin plugs and that means there is no ground on the box. If a surge were to come in the next place it stops is the TV which also has a 2 pin plug. I also have a whole house AC Surge protector on the main electrical panel in the terrace level which is tied to another 8 foot ground rod buried in the terrace level floor below the panel. Having worked in "Cellular World" on Cell Sites that have everything Protected, I made sure my home was protected as well.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
W4CNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 03:20   #6
Atlas
transmogrifier

At my sister's house I installed her cable broadband modem in a weathertight junction-box outside, with a cat5-to-fiber converter.

Only that optical fiber enters the house.
Lightning cannot travel on a plastic optical fiber.
A lightning surge can only smoke the modem and cat-to-fiber converter in the outside box, both of which are cheap.

Don't know how TV cable from a dish can be easily converted to fiber-optic, but there's probably a way.

Surge protectors are better than nothing, but they won't even slow down a really nasty surge.

Uncontrolled, unaccountable government spending + Graduated income-tax = SLAVERY
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 17:11   #7
fwm

A few years ago I had an IBM PC (1980 or so) with a 30' mouse cord on it strung across my living room. My girlfriend came over and I answered the door just as a cloud to cloud lightning bolt went over the top of my house parallel to my mouse cord. It nearly knocked my girlfriend down as she stepped in the door. I heard my computer sizzle.

The insurance tech responder said it was the first computer he had ever certified as 'struck' by lightning and gave me 'new' price money for it.

He said every electronic circuit and chip was fried. And it wasn't even a strike, it was an induced current through the mouse cord, which was also fried.

Don't even attempt to fix your stuff, even if it can be made to work, there will still be unknown damage that will come back to haunt you. Lightning is mean stuff.

Last edited by fwm; 10-29-2013 at 17:11..
fwm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:02   #8
gwalchmai
Lucky Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
At my sister's house I installed her cable broadband modem in a weathertight junction-box outside, with a cat5-to-fiber converter.
Atlas, would you mind sharing the details of the parts and where you got them? Sounds like a real good idea.
gwalchmai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 15:10   #9
Obi Wan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre! View Post
Just got Charter cable established again...

The *FIRST* thing the tech did was undo the CATV feed from the surge protector and take it direct to the Charter cable box.

So I said "Charter insuring my equipment now? What will y'all do if a lightning strike takes out my equipment???"

Tech proceeds to tell me their equipment is grounded - and that nothing could possibly happen.

THE NEXT story was about a lady he was installing who caught a surge while he was working on the system and smoked the TV as he watched.

He left, I fixed it the right way...

I get enough Koolaid in my life, don't need the Charter Koolaid too...
The tech disconnected mine also. Guess I might just have to re-run the cables like you did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwalchmai View Post
Atlas, would you mind sharing the details of the parts and where you got them? Sounds like a real good idea.
x2, please.
"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." - Virg Muelleri
Obi Wan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 17:01   #10
Atlas
transmogrifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwalchmai View Post
Happy to help..
PM on the way later tonight.

Uncontrolled, unaccountable government spending + Graduated income-tax = SLAVERY
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 23:06   #11
racer11

Quote:
Happy to help..
PM on the way later tonight.
Same for me Atlas,,,,if you don't mind thanks
Old 11-21-2013, 14:23   #12
Obi Wan

Quote:

Only that optical fiber enters the house.
Lightning cannot travel on a plastic optical fiber.
A lightning surge can only smoke the modem and cat-to-fiber converter in the outside box, both of which are cheap.

Don't know how TV cable from a dish can be easily converted to fiber-optic, but there's probably a way.

Surge protectors are better than nothing, but they won't even slow down a really nasty surge.
Atlas, would greatly appreciate it if you'd share the details of how you did that and where you got the parts, et al.
"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." - Virg Muelleri
Obi Wan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 16:48   #13
kc8ykd

I'd use something like this:

http://www.protectiongroup.com/Surge...ranstector-TSJ

About $110, depending on where you source it.

I think what atlas was describing is using a pair of transceivers similar to this:

downside, is that they have to be powered on both sides of the fiber... lots of failure points there, the fiber, transceivers, the power supplies for each.

If the power supplies aren't plugged into a safe source on both sides, or at least on the interior side, it could negate the whole concept if the interior power supplies gets spiked and then it'll transfer into the transceiver and into the internal network.
kc8ykd is offline   Reply With Quote