Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-22-2014, 03:04   #1
Brandon G

Vacuum sealing ammo

Hey folks, I recently tried vacuum sealing some ammo for my camping/bug out bags. During this process I ran into a problem, The sharp points on the 556 ammo punctured the sealing bag, well I then tried sealing some 40 cal. And the bag leaked again. I couldn’t find any puncture points on the bag of 40 but I did on the 556. Has anyone had similar problems and if so how did you overcome said problems. The bags where gallon sized with 200 rounds of each caliber in different bags. Thanks for any and all help.

Brandon G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 04:57   #2
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

Ammo cans,check gaskets and hinges.'08.

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:34   #3
tom mac

3 things with the small vac bags...

1) don't overfill and try to put in layers ( separate by thin cardboard , like shirt box type)
2) use a small piece of shirt box cardboard folded over tips of 223 , 1-2 inches on each side... no sharp corners - cut rounded
3) some time the cheaper bags are thin.
tom mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:44   #4
AZson

Why not try alternating the direction from left to right every other .223 round?
Old 01-23-2014, 08:28   #5
PEC-Memphis
Scottish Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirgi08 View Post
Ammo cans,check gaskets and hinges.'08.
I'm not sure vacuum sealing is necessary. There is ammunition from the '40's stored in nothing but a cardboard box in a room temperature, dry location, that is still serviceable.

If you are trying to waterproof, but don't want to use ammo cans. Try using factory type cardboard boxes with the appropriate insert (styrofoam/plastic), then seal in your vacuum bags (without vacuum or just partially pull a vacuum). If you don't have boxes, the trash can at a public range is usually full of them.

Sealing primers and the case mouth also helps with regard to "waterproofing", you have to open the container sometime.

Keep in mind that vacuum bags that are not metalized are permeable to water vapor and O(2) transmission. Same goes for plastic ammo boxes, although the rate is slower because the wall thickness in much greater. With regard to water vapor / O(2) transmission, sealed "spam" cans are probably the best, followed by metalized plastic/mylar vacuum bag, followed by gasketed metal ammo cans, followed by plastic ammo cans.
Old 02-06-2014, 00:03   #6
bustedknee
Curmudgeon

I have vacuum-sealed them in jars.

Hunting, Fishing & Camping
Old 02-06-2014, 08:23   #7
AZson

I'm reloading with powder and Western/Winchester primers that are over 20+ years old that where stored in a garage and they work fine. Why vacuum seal them? Just make sure their stored out of any humidity or water.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:35   #8
Brandon G

I'm vacuum sealing around 500 rounds for a go bag. I keep the bulk of my ammo in the safe in factory boxes. I'm only doing this to make it more ready for the shtf situation and this ammo will stay behind the seat of ny truck for an extended about of time. Thanks for all the advice guys.
Brandon G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 18:14   #9
chrisbroz

I would try stretching a piece of sheet neoprene over the meplats of the bullets or packing them in those ammo specific segmented plastic tubs/boxes available from various manufacturers such as Frankford Arsenal or US Plastics.
CB in FL
chrisbroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 19:34   #10
PEC-Memphis
Scottish Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustedknee View Post
I have vacuum-sealed them in jars.

"Bullet Preserves"?
Old 02-06-2014, 20:23   #11
chrisbroz

If I may paraphrase a line from Jules Verne's "Mysterious Island": "CAPITAL, JUP!!! OH CAPITAL!!!" Excellent work-around my friend...

CB In FL
chrisbroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:52   #12
bustedknee
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEC-Memphis View Post
"Bullet Preserves"?
Moonshine Munitions.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:22   #13
John Rambo
Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon G View Post
I'm vacuum sealing around 500 rounds for a go bag. I keep the bulk of my ammo in the safe in factory boxes. I'm only doing this to make it more ready for the shtf situation and this ammo will stay behind the seat of ny truck for an extended about of time. Thanks for all the advice guys.
You're taking the hard way around.

Get a plastic container with a rubber gasket, dump them in it, close it, and stop worrying about it. Or just stash an ammo can back there.

Ammo is not fragile. Its not dainty. It doesn't need to be handled with care. Keep it dry, don't expose it to open flames, and it'll outlast you.
John Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 16:36   #14
PEC-Memphis
Scottish Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustedknee View Post
Moonshine Munitions.
Now that right there is funny, I don't care who you are.

Old 02-07-2014, 16:47   #15
Jeremy_K

Are you able to keep them flat as they seal or do they bunch up? If they'll remain flat you could cut a thin strip of high density foam and drill or poke holes for the bullet points to go into. You could also put the 5.56 on stripper clips and lay them points in, interlocking with each other, and try to keep them flat as they seal. The suggestions for air and water tight containers are great except I think the OP may want them a little more packable i.e. flat and not bulky or heavy.

Last edited by Jeremy_K; 02-07-2014 at 16:53..
Jeremy_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 17:51   #16
JohnnyE

I don't know if I'm outta my mind thinking this, but:

1. If you pull the air from inside each cartridge, if the ammo pack develops a leak or is accidently breeched, the atmosphere surrounding it will leech in. If the ammo pack is underwater, buried in the ground, or some other less than ideal environment, that is what the case will be sucking into the powder; and,

2. Might pulling a vacuum do something adverse to ammo with sealed primers and bullets? Maybe not, but just throwing it out there.

I keep my ammo in .50 cal and other assorted military steel ammo cans. I start out using a rechargeable silica gel pack to dehydrate the ammo and its packaging. Over the next month or so, I check and recharge the silica gel as needed until everything is fully dehydrated. Once it is, I remove the rechargeable silica gel, replace it with a smaller disposable silica gel packet, close the can, mark it "SEALED," put it on the shelf and move along to the next can.

If I wanted ammo in more portable packages, I'd remove dehydrated ammo from the sealed cans, then pack smaller quantities of ammo in pouches, but not pull a high vacuum. The vacuum would be used just to shrink the packages so the packs don't waste space. I wouldn't want a high vacuum, as that might pull things in if the pack developed a leak. Some of the ammo is stored on a boat in a salt water/air environment. If I were a total freak, after dehydration, I'd consider sealing that ammo in packages filled to slightly above atmospheric pressure with dry nitrogen.

Last edited by JohnnyE; 02-07-2014 at 17:53..
JohnnyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 16:20   #17
Glocks n' Crocs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEC-Memphis View Post
"Bullet Preserves"?
Preserving Freedom.