SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-06-2014, 12:40   #1
mykidzrule

Firefighter handcuffed for doing his duty

http://jobs.aol.com/articles/2014/02...6pLid%3D439616

Really? Do the police do this often? I've never herd of anything like this before. Anybody else surprised by this?
mykidzrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 13:05   #2
ranger1968

What kind of nonsense is that?

This wasn't some motorist blocking a lane, it was a frigging fire truck at an active scene, what was that CHP guy thinking?

Good lord.

Hell, just this past Monday me and another guy were working a 2 car crash with road blockage on a divided 4 lane highway at the intersection of the highway and a major feeder road that dead-ended at the highway in a T-intersection; the cars and their wreckage were blocking most of one side of the highway and all of the other side, and the feeder road traffic couldn't turn left onto the highway either; the were 4 injuries with 3 people being transported, so we had 2 fire trucks and 2 ambulances, and those vehicles completely blocked the road as well; once the EMS rigs cleared we were able to divert the feeder road and open 1 lane in each direction of the highway, which was pretty backed up; we were still a little short as far as traffic control (and all of our other units were tied up) so I simply asked the bc from Fire who was there if he could leave us an engine so the guys could give us a hand keeping the road blacked and the scene safe; those guys used the truck as a lane block, and they even deployed some cones and helped direct traffic.

Those fire guys, they can block the road at my scene any day, I'm happy to have them.
ranger1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 13:19   #3
oldman11

That cop doesn't have enough brains to be a real police officer. Oh by the way officer, the next time you need some help (like an ambulance) don't hold your breath.
oldman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 15:22   #4
WT

Surfin' the web, it appears that these arrests happen all the time ... all over the USA.

"My nightstick is bigger than your fire hose."
WT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 15:43   #5
GlockAnonymous

Im sure there was some bad blood between these two, a case of someone slept with someone he wasnt supposed to and someone that wasnt supposed to find out, found out so now he hates him lol. It is obviously the only thing that makes sense.
GlockAnonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 18:22   #6
ChrisJn
"Old Bill"

On a power trip? Needs to be fired.
ChrisJn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 22:44   #7
JuneyBooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykidzrule View Post
http://jobs.aol.com/articles/2014/02...6pLid%3D439616

Really? Do the police do this often? I've never herd of anything like this before. Anybody else surprised by this?
Amazing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Cool songs:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Cool car:
JuneyBooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 22:47   #8
Big1

He thought he was God I guess, give some people a little bit authority and it goes to their head.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:45   #9
FireMedic-50
RTF2 Geek

that scene did not belong to law enforcement until fire terminates command.

hope he doesn't have an mva or get hurt...
Old 02-07-2014, 11:50   #10
crsuribe
10mm Auto

So unnecessary and stupid.

*I love USA*
crsuribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:22   #11
Tvov

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireMedic-50 View Post
that scene did not belong to law enforcement until fire terminates command.

hope he doesn't have an mva or get hurt...
Depends on the state. In Connecticut the FD has "command" of the scene (all aspects of it, depending on the situation) until they turn command over to someone else. Some police do NOT like this.

I think California is different... FD only has command of the immediate area that is needed for the incident or something like that. So the PD is in charge outside of that bubble. I don't know the specifics.

New York City is different as well... the PD has "emergency response" units that do extrications at MVAs. The PD has the Jaws of Life, not the FD. That just seems odd to me.

My department just had a very minor situation with the local PD. One of the PD officers got into the habit of telling apparatus drivers where to park... it wasn't a "bad" thing, the PD officer was just trying to help, but it created confusion at a few scenes. So our Chief had to gently ask that he stop doing that unless it there was a dangerous situation.

We've had a couple situations with the State Troopers... usually no big deal, but one time a Trooper was telling arriving fire units to leave a minor fender bender (we weren't needed, but until we know different we respond).... but what he was saying was "I don't need the damn FD here in the way!". It was completely unnecessary and rude, and kind of shocked us. Later a LT from the State Troop came to our FD to actually apologize about the incident. I guess the Trooper in question was from a different area and had run-ins with the FD there and there was bad blood. The PD LT even said that he was surprised at what happened, as most of the Troop consider us one of the "good" FDs. There's all different kinds of people.

Last edited by Tvov; 02-09-2014 at 16:35..
Tvov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:31   #12
harleystyles

I think his squad car needs a fire engine sized nudge off the road. You know, to help clear traffic.
harleystyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 21:57   #13
OlliesRevenge

A badge, gun, and a fragile ego can be a volatile mix. I'd like to think the Chippy's cohorts are rolling their eyes at his decision to do this... but who knows.

I 1st heard this on Billy G's Secret List -

http://www.firefighterclosecalls.com.../newsid/202921

http://www.firefighterclosecalls.com.../newsid/202979

And sadly, this has happened before -

The strange part is that, depending on the location, cops & HP troopers can have a neurotic conflict of two objectives. 1) Being protected by the fire rig. 2) Minimizing lane closures to avoid traffic jams.

The Captain at my old station told me about an incident with WSP one morning when I was relieving him. They went to a freeway MVA on I-5 and had two lanes blocked. The Pt. got transported, the damaged car was on the shoulder waiting for a tow with trooper on shoulder upstream. From the fire perspective the incident was over so the Captain and crew left the scene.

Well, then the trooper got on the radio and asked for them back. When they arrived (again), the trooper was pretty rude, berating my Captain and asking "What? Do you guys have steaks on the BBQ you cant wait to get back to?" This was back when WSP was always defaulting to opening lanes ASAP.

We have since had some coordination with them at the Chief level, and we get along better now. We now default to blocking more lanes, not less. Apparently they "saw the light".

Now if we could just get 'em trained to accurately radio in incident locations on the freeway... it's surprising how often they screw that up...

Any fool can make a rule, and any fool will mind it.
~Henry David Thoreau

Remember always: The government is not the country!
OlliesRevenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 14:42   #14
VPD4327

There will always be idiots in both professions. Let me paint a picture...I arrived on scene to investigate an MVA with injuries on the interstate. Multiple people, including small children, were transported by EMS. The at-fault party was a pretty good looking female. After my investigation, I found her to be at fault (she was texting which caused the huge pile up). She was getting checked out by medics so I started her citations. When I looked up, all the fire equipment was clearing up with the wreckers and my suspect was missing in action. I called dispatch to see which squad she was transported on (logical conclusion). Dispatch told me she was not transported...hmmm. What I did find was that after she was cleared by the medic, she hit it off with the engine guys...who gave her a ride IN THEIR TRUCK back to their fire station. Does anyone see a problem with this? I went to the fire station, retrieved the slut, and dealt with her accordingly. The only thing I said to the FD guys who were hamming it up with her was, "really?"...to which they responded, "you're kind of being a cock block".

This is not to bash you guys-just letting you know, the idiots are on both sides of the isle. We (PD) have a great relationship with our FD and i can't imagine anything ending with anyone in cuffs. I won't make excuses for the cop...that was ridiculous.
VPD4327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 19:59   #15
OlliesRevenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPD4327 View Post
...she hit it off with the engine guys...who gave her a ride IN THEIR TRUCK back to their fire station. Does anyone see a problem with this? I went to the fire station, retrieved the slut, and dealt with her accordingly. The only thing I said to the FD guys who were hamming it up with her was, "really?"...to which they responded, "you're kind of being a cock block".
Their response of "you're kind of being a cock block", was definitely inappropriate. It pretty well highlights their poor intentions.

Assuming their intentions were a bit more "high road", and assuming they had a better response for you, the act of giving someone a ride is not necessarily a problem. Did they know you were going to cite her?

My Dept. does not forbid giving rides, and I have done it a handful of times in special instances. One was a hot chick in a Camry who rear ended a truck, and her vehicle caught fire... it was a burned out wreck at the end. She lived in our district, so we gave her a ride home.

Another time a guy with diabetes let himself get severely hypoglycemic and he crashed his truck into several parked cars. The cops thankfully recognized that he was not drunk or on drugs and called us. The medics gave him IV glucose and we took him back to the station, fed him, and let him wait there for his wife to pick him up. I did take some flak from the Chief for that one... "You're not supposed to bring patients home with you Lt."

Any fool can make a rule, and any fool will mind it.
~Henry David Thoreau

Remember always: The government is not the country!
OlliesRevenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 21:23   #16
hotpig
CLM Number 211
IAFF Local 4766

The video above happened locally.The cop ultimately lost his job and paid thousands to the Captain out of his own pocket. Justice was served. The cop got off easy and the Captain has some cash and a good story.

Tags
really?