Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2014, 12:05   #1
Obi Wan
Senior Member
 
Obi Wan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 'Round the bend...
Posts: 2,166
Anonymous Browsing?

What's the 'best', free, easiest, anonymous browsing service a person can use?

I'm presently using FireFox 27 the most... don't like Chrome.
__________________
"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." - Virg Muelleri
Obi Wan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 12:39   #2
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows
 
IndyGunFreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Indiana
Posts: 30,606
Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak


I don't use Firefox, but I think you've confused two different things... I'm not sure how a browser could offer truly "anonymous" browsing.

Private Browsing (or Google Calls it "Incognito Mode").. is not really "Anonymous Browsing"... It simply opens a browser and deletes it's cache when you close it.. thus not saving any history, passwords, usernames, etc.. on your local machine. It is NOT "anonymous". Any server you hook to, still has your IP address, etc.

Anonymous browsing, is when you connect to a VPN or proxy, which encrypts your traffic thus hiding your IP address from whatever you are connecting to.

Example:
Your Machine<---Encrypted----> VPN/Proxy<--Public IP-->Internet

When the "Internet" responds (be it a website, download, or whatever).. It will actually see the IP address of the VPN or Proxy service.... and due to the encrypted connection you have to the VPN or Proxy, will not see an accurate IP on "Your Machine".

Sorry if I misunderstood, but I think you're referring to Firefox's private browsing, which is absolutely NOT anonymous browsing.
__________________
Quote:
Ronald Reagan
"If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under."
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 12:48   #3
Obi Wan
Senior Member
 
Obi Wan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 'Round the bend...
Posts: 2,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak View Post
Anonymous browsing, is when you connect to a VPN or proxy, which encrypts your traffic thus hiding your IP address from whatever you are connecting to.

Example:
Your Machine<---Encrypted----> VPN/Proxy<--Public IP-->Internet

When the "Internet" responds (be it a website, download, or whatever).. It will actually see the IP address of the VPN or Proxy service.... and due to the encrypted connection you have to the VPN or Proxy, will not see an accurate IP on "Your Machine".

Sorry if I misunderstood, but I think you're referring to Firefox's private browsing, which is absolutely NOT anonymous browsing.
Sorry for the confusion... I am referring to "Anonymous browsing", such as using 'Anonymouse.org', etc, where the visited website only sees their IP and not mine.
__________________
"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." - Virg Muelleri
Obi Wan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 14:33   #4
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows
 
IndyGunFreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Indiana
Posts: 30,606
Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak


Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi Wan View Post
Sorry for the confusion... I am referring to "Anonymous browsing", such as using 'Anonymouse.org', etc, where the visited website only sees their IP and not mine.
Only problem with those, is they are slow (at least the ones I've used). Obviously that's part of the price for being free. I tried several free Proxy's, and they were all different levels of terrible.

I know you said free, but if you change your mind.. for $40/yr this was WELL worth it. I've been quite happy with it.

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/

I don't run it 24/7 like some.. so I simply set it up, and when I want to be "private" I connect via network manager, which encrypts all traffic from my PC. After I'm done doing what I'm doing.. I just disconnect from the VPN and go back to my normal network connection.

Been very happy w/ this solution.
__________________
Quote:
Ronald Reagan
"If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under."
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 14:38   #5
GIockGuy24
Bring M&M's
 
GIockGuy24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: With Amber Lamps
Posts: 3,987
If you visit websites and use Java Run Time Environment, and possibly some other browser plug-ins, on them your true IP address will appear there, even if going through a proxy server.
__________________
Despite some media reports, there were no AK-47s involved in the incident
GIockGuy24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 15:03   #6
Obi Wan
Senior Member
 
Obi Wan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 'Round the bend...
Posts: 2,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIockGuy24 View Post
If you visit websites and use Java Run Time Environment, and possibly some other browser plug-ins, on them your true IP address will appear there, even if going through a proxy server.
Well, damn... that messes things up a bit, doesn't it. There's always a fly in the ointment, eh?

Thanks for the suggestion, IndyGunFreak.

Maybe I'm thinking up the wrong alley here, you guys tell me...

The bug up my ass might be a dumb/paranoid one, but it really irks me that some sites, including our lovely goobernment, try to track and ID you with personal information along with your IP address. ObamaCare'Less' is a great example, from what I understand, but there are a zillion others, I'm sure. With OC it's bad enough that they have ZERO security of personal information. But if they also track IP addresses and match that to your personal info, any hacking would result in a complete profile package... or won't that make any difference???

So how do you effectively visit these types of web sites if you need to without leaving all the tracks and crumbs that lead them right to you?

Your examples above indicate that while I might be using an anonymous path with my browser, the other softwares like Java, et al, mess thing up behind your back.

I swear that any and all actions I'm referring to are strictly legal ones. NO shenanigans involved, anywhere! I promise.


Thoughts and suggestions welcome.

Thanks.
__________________
"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." - Virg Muelleri
Obi Wan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 15:15   #7
John Rambo
Raven
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Tampa, Fl.
Posts: 9,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi Wan View Post
Well, damn... that messes things up a bit, doesn't it. There's always a fly in the ointment, eh?

Thanks for the suggestion, IndyGunFreak.

Maybe I'm thinking up the wrong alley here, you guys tell me...

The bug up my ass might be a dumb/paranoid one, but it really irks me that some sites, including our lovely goobernment, try to track and ID you with personal information along with your IP address. ObamaCare'Less' is a great example, from what I understand, but there are a zillion others, I'm sure. With OC it's bad enough that they have ZERO security of personal information. But if they also track IP addresses and match that to your personal info, any hacking would result in a complete profile package... or won't that make any difference???

So how do you effectively visit these types of web sites if you need to without leaving all the tracks and crumbs that lead them right to you?

Your examples above indicate that while I might be using an anonymous path with my browser, the other softwares like Java, et al, mess thing up behind your back.

I swear that any and all actions I'm referring to are strictly legal ones. NO shenanigans involved, anywhere! I promise.


Thoughts and suggestions welcome.

Thanks.

My thoughts and suggestions: Don't waste your time.

Its possible. Its very possible. You can set the appropriate settings right from your computer then use a quality proxy service located in another country (that you will pay for, but not too much) and they'll never see your IP, don't care what Java or other programs you have.

But its a huge pain in the ass and can cause all kinds of cool things that you take for granted on the internet to not function properly.

Now, if you had a few sites that you just wanted there to be no record of you ever visiting, a regular group of sites, for example, thats more practical of an issue to tackle than trying to just secretimify your web browsing. But, if this describes you....well...um...I just hope it doesn't.
John Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 15:16   #8
GIockGuy24
Bring M&M's
 
GIockGuy24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: With Amber Lamps
Posts: 3,987
If you want to conceal your IP address using a proxy sever you could disable you browser plug-ins. You could even have two different browsers, one with plug-ins and another, different browser, without plug-ins. Otherwise using Java or other plug-ins will show your true IP address and it likely wouldn't be possibly to conceal your IP address while using plug-ins. Pluh-ins usually start automatically on websites that use them but if possible you might be able to manually enable and disable them for each web page. I think a browser add-on called, "No-Script" makes this possible and gives you control when set up properly.
__________________
Despite some media reports, there were no AK-47s involved in the incident
GIockGuy24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 15:18   #9
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows
 
IndyGunFreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Indiana
Posts: 30,606
Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak


Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi Wan View Post
So how do you effectively visit these types of web sites if you need to without leaving all the tracks and crumbs that lead them right to you?

Your examples above indicate that while I might be using an anonymous path with my browser, the other softwares like Java, et al, mess thing up behind your back.

Thanks.
I've never heard of that with Java and other plugins, but it does make sense.

In that case, your only option would be to use a VPN. There are some free VPN's out there, but I'm not sure what their performance is like (my guess is, not great).
__________________
Quote:
Ronald Reagan
"If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under."
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 15:24   #10
GIockGuy24
Bring M&M's
 
GIockGuy24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: With Amber Lamps
Posts: 3,987
You can test it this way. Use a proxy server, go to a Java based chat room that shows users' IP addresses or shows you your IP address when you log in. Java will pick up your true IP addres and display it through a proxy server.

Even when you aren't logged on a website that shows you it has registered your IP address, if it has any Java applications running on the website, they will pick up your true IP address and the website will have recorded your true IP address, if you have Java installed and enabled. Other browser plug-ins are also capable doing this.
__________________
Despite some media reports, there were no AK-47s involved in the incident
GIockGuy24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 19:58   #11
Obi Wan
Senior Member
 
Obi Wan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 'Round the bend...
Posts: 2,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rambo View Post
My thoughts and suggestions: Don't waste your time.

Its possible. Its very possible. You can set the appropriate settings right from your computer then use a quality proxy service located in another country (that you will pay for, but not too much) and they'll never see your IP, don't care what Java or other programs you have.

But its a huge pain in the ass and can cause all kinds of cool things that you take for granted on the internet to not function properly.

Now, if you had a few sites that you just wanted there to be no record of you ever visiting, a regular group of sites, for example, thats more practical of an issue to tackle than trying to just secretimify your web browsing. But, if this describes you....well...um...I just hope it doesn't.
I'm not sure I get what you're implying as there's nothing surreptitious, unethical, immoral, or illegal in my intent. I just don't like offering all of my personal, medical, and financial information to be openly tied to my IP and "free for the taking"... or that some government 'hack', such as the criminals OC has hired as customer reps to have full access to same. I need to get my wife some insurance and don't care to jeopardize everything in doing so.

Now why would you "hope that isn't me"??? Please explain before I jump to too many conclusions.
__________________
"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." - Virg Muelleri

Last edited by Obi Wan; 02-14-2014 at 19:58..
Obi Wan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 07:32   #12
sbhaven
Senior Member
 
sbhaven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Constitution State
Posts: 4,714
While not 100% anonymous there is the Tor browser (Firefox) and network. Like has been previously said if you use plug ins or extensions your activities and IP address could be tracked. The reality is you can be tracked one way or another online. Your data has to go over someone's network even when its encrypted.
__________________
Currently hiding behind enemy lines in a Blue State.
sbhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 20:10   #13
snerd
Senior Member
 
snerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 7,402
The tower browser bundle ( TBB ) works well for me......

http://torproject.org



Sent from my SM-T310 using Ohub Campfire mobile app
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by snerd; 02-15-2014 at 20:12..
snerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 04:54   #14
John Rambo
Raven
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Tampa, Fl.
Posts: 9,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi Wan View Post
I'm not sure I get what you're implying as there's nothing surreptitious, unethical, immoral, or illegal in my intent. I just don't like offering all of my personal, medical, and financial information to be openly tied to my IP and "free for the taking"... or that some government 'hack', such as the criminals OC has hired as customer reps to have full access to same. I need to get my wife some insurance and don't care to jeopardize everything in doing so.

Now why would you "hope that isn't me"??? Please explain before I jump to too many conclusions.
Because if theres a few sites that you regularly visit as opposed to just your general browsing that you don't want to send information to, theres usually a reason and its generally pretty bad.

Last edited by John Rambo; 02-16-2014 at 04:54..
John Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 06:46   #15
Bren
NRA Life Member
 
Bren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 37,318
In Afghanistan, I had to use sites like Btunnel and Anonyproxy to connect to Glock Talk. I'm not expert enough to know how well they work, but they fooled our ISP, Sniperhill.
__________________
Quote:
This is the internet - you will never learn to shoot here.
- Me, 2014.
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:18   #16
Obi Wan
Senior Member
 
Obi Wan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 'Round the bend...
Posts: 2,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rambo View Post
Because if theres a few sites that you regularly visit as opposed to just your general browsing that you don't want to send information to, theres usually a reason and its generally pretty bad.
You obviously didn't bother reading anything I've posted other than what you wanted to interpret.

Go get yourself some O2 as it's obvious your body is depleted.
__________________
"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." - Virg Muelleri
Obi Wan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 11:21   #17
OldSchool64
Platinum Membership
 
OldSchool64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: In The Danger Zone
Posts: 5,962
Here's something some of might want to consider;
Making it look like you have something to hide can, in it's self, raise a red flag.

I'll occasionally change my IP address, just like I occasionally change my credit/debit card numbers, but I'll not go out of my way and inconvenience myself out of fear of being watched and/or tracked.
OldSchool64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 18:10   #18
pat701
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Beyond OZ
Posts: 485
I am not a computer guy, but i use this one is it any good?
https://startpage.com/
pat701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 21:42   #19
dotsun
conf t
 
dotsun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: TN
Posts: 1,163
Tor is your best bet.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
dotsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 23:59   #20
John Rambo
Raven
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Tampa, Fl.
Posts: 9,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by pat701 View Post
I am not a computer guy, but i use this one is it any good?
https://startpage.com/
Not really. If you're scared that big brother is watching your Google searches for The Anarchist's Cookbook e-books, it'll stop Google from recording your information on the search, but after that they do nothing unless you're using them as a proxy. And then we come to the problem that they have servers in the US. A proxy service with servers in the US is effectively useless.
John Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:52.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 512
125 Members
387 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31