Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-15-2014, 21:17   #1
Strato

Gssf

Is it just me or does it seem that GSSF participation is waning?
Strato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 21:21   #2
Cruiser1
Still Alive

Not if the turnout in Orlando was any indication.
Cruiser1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 22:47   #3
Noponer

It's just you.
Noponer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 06:28   #4
Justin1911

Most matches have shown a steady increase over the years, I know the GA ones have. GSSF has more staff than ever before, it's growing overall.
Justin1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:02   #5
RonS

How many matches did you go to last year? I want to Dayton, Marrietta and Brighton. I believe the numbers were up at all but I believe that is based on the number of entries not the number of participants. I suppose it could be possible to have fewer people but for them to be shooting more different classes. Didn't feel like it though.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:11   #6
Mrs Glockrunner

You're going to reach a saturation point, where the number of entries will level off.

With the state of the economy right now and the availability of ammo and/or supplies, some matches will stay about the same or even decrease.

We attend as many as we can. They are lots of good fun with many great people.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:19   #7
ede
Bama's Friend

Based on the number of shooters I see at GSSF events I'd say hell no. Makes me wonder what criteria you used to come up with the idea attendance is declining. Shooting sports in general I think have increased participation, 2014 AL Section match filled quickly, 2014 Battle in Blue Grass filled quickly and registration opened 7 months before match, 2014 MS Classic filled in 4 days with 40 or more on waiting list. The 2013 Gator Classic filled in just a few days and I'm sure it will again this year.
PM Black Diamond 538 F&AM
Bamatrooper taught Chuck Norris how to shoot.
ede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:55   #8
Glockrunner
HOOYA DEEPSEA

Send a message via Yahoo to Glockrunner
We have had to cap them number of shooters at our IDPA matches on a regular basis. I think all of the matches we attend with GSSF have grown pretty steadily over the years.

With that said, a decline in a match attendance is most likely due to poor operational conditions by the staff or sporadic economical situations.

Folks in our sport want to have fun but safety is a must. If shooters don't see safety as a number 1 goal of the club or the event they just don't return. Sporadic applications of the rules probably have somewhat the same effect as folks seem to enjoy the consistency as a fair environment to compete.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:06   #9
njl

The recent 2014 Orlando match set a new Orlando record of 755 entries, up from 279 in its first year 12 years ago. It may have seemed less crowded due to the number of stage setups and a huge team of ROs. I know from working as an RO Saturday morning that we seemed very non-busy, so the new record entry count was a surprise to me.
Old 02-16-2014, 16:42   #10
Strato

I have attended many GSSF indoor shoots and the inconsistency of the interpretation of the rules makes for an less than interesting contest.
Old 02-16-2014, 17:37   #11
PM720

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strato View Post
I have attended many GSSF indoor shoots and the inconsistency of the interpretation of the rules makes for an less than interesting contest.
Care to expand on that? After 12 matches I like to think I know the rules and play by the book. From what I have seen the problem cases are newbies that just haven't read the rulebook and don't know. Some minor coaching usually fixes then up. If you see an RO not running a stage correctly and consultation with the MD usually fixes those situations. As has been noted many times here most GSSF RO's don't do this full time and many have never shot GSSF ever so they are a little ignorant of the rulebook. I have not seen too many cases of people trying to cheat. JMHO

Scott
PM720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 17:45   #12
ede
Bama's Friend

Indoor GSSF is largely left up to the range putting on the match. That might be where you get inconsistences in the rule interpretation. I'd guess the rules are consistent at the same location.
PM Black Diamond 538 F&AM
Bamatrooper taught Chuck Norris how to shoot.
ede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 20:59   #13
Strato

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM720 View Post
Care to expand on that? After 12 matches I like to think I know the rules and play by the book. From what I have seen the problem cases are newbies that just haven't read the rulebook and don't know. Some minor coaching usually fixes then up. If you see an RO not running a stage correctly and consultation with the MD usually fixes those situations. As has been noted many times here most GSSF RO's don't do this full time and many have never shot GSSF ever so they are a little ignorant of the rulebook. I have not seen too many cases of people trying to cheat. JMHO

Scott
You have touched on a big part of the problem.
The GSSF indoor rules are not available to the shooters. GSSF only gives the rules to the R.O.
I have talked to Melanie about this more than once. But this situation never seems to get resolved. The real issue is when you travel to attend different GSSF indoor matches.
The inconsistencies in the rules interpretation make it difficult to prepare the correct equipment for each match.
If a shooter only goes to the same range that is holding a GSSF indoor match and doesn't travel to different matches then the inconsistencies are not readily apparent.

Last edited by Strato; 02-16-2014 at 22:10..
Old 02-16-2014, 21:05   #14
wct097

I just joined in December. Shot my third indoor match earlier this month. Best score yet @ 475. Seems to be taking off locally.
Old 02-16-2014, 21:11   #15
Don At PC

Stratos; Come on be a REAL man and shoot some outdoor GSSF Matches and see what the real world brings. The indoor matches is not even close to any comparision to the worst outdoor match. REAL GSSF FANS shoot the outdoor matches.

Don
NRA Benefactor Life Member
Retired A.F. Chief 1961-1991
Don At PC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 22:21   #16
Noponer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don At PC View Post
Stratos; Come on be a REAL man and shoot some outdoor GSSF Matches and see what the real world brings. The indoor matches is not even close to any comparision to the worst outdoor match. REAL GSSF FANS shoot the outdoor matches.

Don
Pretty good, Don.

Strato, the indoor leagues are fairly new. The outdoor match program is the main GSSF competition... it has been around & evolving since 1991. Comparing indoor leagues to them is not even as close as comparing apples & bananas.

Last edited by Noponer; 02-16-2014 at 22:25..
Noponer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 00:07   #17
PM720

I have to agree. If all you have shot is the indoor matches you really have not experienced all that GSSF has to offer.

Scott
PM720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 07:30   #18
Strato

I have shot several outdoor matches.
But I also participate in the indoor matches.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:29   #19
9mmdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strato View Post
Is it just me or does it seem that GSSF participation is waning?
It is just you
9mmdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:58   #20
stak

Unfortunately I can't comment specifically about Indoor as GSSF doesn't release the scoresheets, as the individual ranges manage the series.

For Outdoors, I don't have the time to break out individual people, and there isn't data kept regarding people in attendance vs. people competing. For Entries, excluding the 4 matches in 2012 that didn't host in 2013 and the 6 new matches we are left with 40 matches and there was a slight 46 entry dip (1%) from 13,896 to 13,850 with the average entries shot slipping from 347 to 346.

If you take the 4 dropped matches of 1,427 entries (357 average) and replace them with the 6 new matches of 2,261 (377 average) the numbers change. Now, year over year, you have a 5% increase from 15,323 to 16,111 and an entry average increase from 348 to 350.

Was it a red year for a lot of matches? Yes, the most since 2008.

Were they big declines? No, they were mostly small declines and very spread around the country.

Is GSSF Membership in decline? No, the membership numbers appear to be almost perfectly liner.

Is GSSF Outdoor Participation in decline? No, but as a disposable income sport it definitely moves around with the economy and market conditions. Excluding the election pause of 2008 it's been growing at a steady clip since 2006 and above trending average for the last three years.

-Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
stak is offline   Reply With Quote