SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-16-2014, 10:04   #141
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teecher45 View Post
Never saw a malfunction. Not once. Not even ammo related.
That was enough for me, my friends, and my family.
Amazing two people can have such drasticly diff experiences. I see enough GLock FTF every year to know they are not, like any piece of machinery, flawless. Certainly closer than some other designs, but not 100%. It leads to foolish practices like carrying only the gun & no spare mag. STill trying to sort out why I see so many limp wrist malfunctions in GLock guns. I know it's the shooter, but why does the gun cooperate so willinginly.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 02-16-2014 at 10:10..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 11:02   #142
WinterWizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
My brother and another trooper tried to destroy a G35 when they were testing them - took a big box of loaded magazines and traded out firing it as fast as they could through thousands of rounds until the recoil spring guide rod melted and started to curl. When they ran out of ammo and the gun cooled down, their firearms guy put it back in his holster and continued to carry it.
So after he melted the guide rod, and the gun being filthy from "thousands" of rounds" fired through it, he put the gun back in his holster and carried it? If so, what was the point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
I recall one personally owned Glock having a kaboom on the P&P range, but it was clearly an ammo issue and the same brand of reloads blew up a revolver the same day. The Glock was functional after the kaboom - the revolver was not.
Wasn't a kaboom if the Glock was undamaged and functional afterward. Near kaboom, maybe...
WinterWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 15:11   #143
Tiro Fijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
...STill trying to sort out why I see so many limp wrist malfunctions in GLock guns. I know it's the shooter, but why does the gun cooperate so willinginly.

Many shooting events attract "tinkerers" & "Tacticool" commandos who like to monkey with connectors, triggers, etc. LE doesn't have this problem. As well, in LE they can address the issue at hand and correct it on the range (usually), whereas you cannot with others at an event. You cannot walk up to a shooter and say "hey knucklehead, WTH are you doing?"

Why so many people limpwristing Glocks? Easy: they break their wrists upon ignition. Metal guns are more forgiving of this, polymer not so much.
Tiro Fijo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 16:27   #144
fastbolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiro Fijo View Post
... "tinkerers" & "Tacticool" commandos who like to monkey with connectors, triggers, etc. LE doesn't have this problem.
Not as a normal procedure, but we still have to be alert to unauthorized "modifications" and "improvements", don't we?

Still one of the things armorers are reminded to look for during inspections.

Quote:
... As well, in LE they can address the issue at hand and correct it on the range (usually), whereas you cannot with others at an event. You cannot walk up to a shooter and say "hey knucklehead, WTH are you doing?"
Yep. If they listen and remember once they leave the range, and then remember for the next qual session.

Quote:
Why so many people limpwristing Glocks? Easy: they break their wrists upon ignition. Metal guns are more forgiving of this, polymer not so much.
Too simple for many enthusiasts and aficionados to be willing to accept.

In the growing collection of factory armorer manuals out at my bench, the significant number of them list shooter grip technique issues as being a probable cause of a range of stoppages and functioning issues ... and this includes for metal-framed pistols.

The wheel's still round ... and still seems to work best in that config.
Sub Club #9; .40 S&W Club #1953; S&W Club #3913
Retired LE - firearms instructor/armorer
fastbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 17:35   #145
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterWizard View Post
So after he melted the guide rod, and the gun being filthy from "thousands" of rounds" fired through it, he put the gun back in his holster and carried it? If so, what was the point?

Wasn't a kaboom if the Glock was undamaged and functional afterward. Near kaboom, maybe...
I don't mean he didn't clean it, I mean it continued to be his duty weapon.

As for the kaboom, it blew the magazine out of the gun - can't remember if there was also frame danger. I didn't realize there was a minimum damage standard for a kaboom

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 02-17-2014, 00:21   #146
ULVER
Dixie Rebel

Send a message via Yahoo to ULVER

I like my 25 year-old Glock 9mm just fine, and you can see what kind of load I carry.

A hndgun of any caliber, is what you use to fight your way to your shotgun

In memory of Off. Steven Trindle
In memory of Det. Dennis C. Stepnowski
ULVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 07:04   #147
CDW4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULVER View Post
I like my 25 year-old Glock 9mm just fine

A hndgun of any caliber, is what you use to fight your way to your shotgun
Not a 45???

Show & tell? !!!

Okay... I bought this one new and I like my ~23 year old Glock 9mm just fine too; but, I'm carrying a 45.

I'm not going to have a shotgun handy when loading groceries into my vehicle, or just walking through a _____; will have to hope the 45 I have available is sufficient to incapacitate an attacker.
Attached Thumbnails
Caliber Corner - Click for larger version  
Old 02-17-2014, 07:38   #148
intecooler

Entertaining!

intecooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 07:55   #149
Wishoot

A caliber war thread concurrent with a Glock love/hate thread.
Wishoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:49   #150
4949shooter

I would like to see the old 9BLE load fired into one of those clear ballistic gel blocks, slow motion as they did above.

Carry what you are most comfortable with!

For me, it will soon be .45 ACP off duty, most likely with a 230 grain +P bullet. But that could change.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:38   #151
fwm

Quote:
The diff between being able to shoot & not is also tremendous. Again, all well & good for the guys that want a lot of ammo in a mag, but in states that are restricted, I doubt so many would opt for a full size 9mm with 10+1. Full size gun, I'll always take a 45 or 40 over a 9mm. In 9mm, for me in a 10+1 state, I reserve 9mm for the smaller guns like my G26.
I also prefer bigger to smaller, but If my choice is 15 .40 or 7 .45, I'll take the 15 every time. As far as mag size restrictions, vote the ba$tards out or move. I refuse to even visit any place I am restricted in my ability to defend myself.

(People that move to KC, MO from NYC find they have to buy huge mansions to avoid capital gains tax when they sell their modest NYC homes. And food and gas prices are substantially lower as well. And you can actually park a car. KC also has an active movie making industry, Opera, nationally renowned art museum, natural history museum and science museum.)
Old 02-17-2014, 13:02   #152
cowboy1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post
Its no stretch of logic to envision that a 45 bullet expanded to .75 may stop aggression a little quicker than a 9mm expanded to .65

It's also no stretch of logic to envision needing more than 7 or 8 shots (it happens - I can cite specific instances).

*Most* people can also handle 9mm better/faster than a .45 too.... and that probably means a lot more to the outcome than .75" vs .65" does.

There are .45 fans that swear that FMJ is just fine... that's WAY smaller than even a poorly expanded 9mm.

Last edited by cowboy1964; 02-17-2014 at 13:04..
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 13:49   #153
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwm View Post
I also prefer bigger to smaller, but If my choice is 15 .40 or 7 .45, I'll take the 15 every time. As far as mag size restrictions, vote the ba$tards out or move. I refuse to even visit any place I am restricted in my ability to defend myself.

(People that move to KC, MO from NYC find they have to buy huge mansions to avoid capital gains tax when they sell their modest NYC homes. And food and gas prices are substantially lower as well. And you can actually park a car. KC also has an active movie making industry, Opera, nationally renowned art museum, natural history museum and science museum.)
This is easily thrown around by those living in free states. Pretty hard to vote them out when they give away so much stuff to the have not parasites that infest most states. The problem with Kommifornia, the weather is just too nice, so we have more parasites than other states. Then there is the whole getting a job thing. Oh yes, I have plans on leaving this krap hole, but since I am not a govt employee, making a living does come into play as well as getting some sort of retirement in place so I can leave. Many of us are in that same boat. Then there is where to move. Many states that once were strong conservative, progun, anti tax, etc, are now flipping. Co is just one such place, I avoided buying prop there about 20yrs ago. So I have thrown my hat into Montana & have 10ac there, but timing is everything in life, so just finding the right balance of $$ vs sanity, then move.
So I live with the restrictions because I have little choice. There is more to one's life than their gun rights. Yes, that is hard to swallow, especially for one that loves shooting & guns as much as I, but that is the reality. So my gun choice, totally diff than another because it has to be.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 02-17-2014 at 13:52..
Old 02-17-2014, 14:26   #154
fastbolt

Quote:
... Then there is the whole getting a job thing.

... making a living does come into play as well as getting some sort of retirement in place so I can leave. Many of us are in that same boat. Then there is where to move. Many states that once were strong conservative, progun, anti tax, etc, are now flipping.

... So I live with the restrictions because I have little choice. There is more to one's life than their gun rights. Yes, that is hard to swallow, especially for one that loves shooting & guns as much as I, but that is the reality. So my gun choice, totally diff than another because it has to be.
Yep. Reality does matter.
Sub Club #9; .40 S&W Club #1953; S&W Club #3913
Retired LE - firearms instructor/armorer
fastbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 14:40   #155
happyguy
Na Ben Don Chat

I am also resolute.

I'm a hell of a shot so 9mm will work just fine for me.

Regards,
Happygu

"Nobody should ever run a race where they are lapped by the sun."
happyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 18:51   #156
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

If it ain't .38 Super, it ain't squat.

Keep your loser 9mm and .45.
Old 02-17-2014, 18:58   #157
happyguy
Na Ben Don Chat

I can do what needs to be done with a .32 but I don't want the little people to think it is appropriate for them.

Keep compensating for your deficiencies.

Regards,
Happyguy

Old 02-17-2014, 21:04   #158
CDW4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyguy View Post
Regards,
Happyguy
Because I say I'm going to carry a 45, I am somehow a deficient shooter?

Maybe I am deficient compared to some (especially compared to someone who proclaimed them-self "a hell of a shot"), but that's quite an assumption.

If I'm deficient, I've been deficient for awhile... (possibly since at least one respondent was in elementary or middle school).

In 1992 I was the "unofficial top gun" at the Dept. Criminal Justice Training (police academy); unofficial because they wanted to "de-emphasize" firearms ability at that time.

I subsequently won the "top gun" handgun competition (Using a Glock 21) at my department in 1992 and 1993 , both years I was an officer, ... completely deficient.

Twenty years later, my only "contest" is of my own design. How quickly can I keep both my first and 2nd shot on a 6 inch circle at 6 - 7 yards? This is a much stricter (self imposed) accuracy standard than simply hitting inside the silhouette of a "coke-bottle" target.
If keeping both 1st & 2nd shot on a 6 inch circle at 6 - 7 yards with an average time of .26 second using a 9mm Glock 19 is deficient, then I certainly am.
If a .29 second average split with a Glock 30 using flush fitting magazines and 230 gr. ammo is deficient, then I am completely deficient.

That .03 (three hundredths second) difference average in split times is such a handicap, I should choose the softer shooting 9mm, so I can control it.

Last edited by CDW4ME; 02-17-2014 at 21:05..
CDW4ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 22:20   #159
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyguy View Post
I can do what needs to be done with a .32 but I don't want the little people to think it is appropriate for them.

Regards,
Happyguy
Yeah like to see that gunfight @ 50ft; you & a 32 against anyone I know & 9mm & up??

Last edited by fredj338; 02-17-2014 at 22:20..
Old 02-18-2014, 06:51   #160
happyguy
Na Ben Don Chat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post
Because I say I'm going to carry a 45, I am somehow a deficient shooter?

Maybe I am deficient compared to some (especially compared to someone who proclaimed them-self "a hell of a shot"), but that's quite an assumption.

If I'm deficient, I've been deficient for awhile... (possibly since at least one respondent was in elementary or middle school).

In 1992 I was the "unofficial top gun" at the Dept. Criminal Justice Training (police academy); unofficial because they wanted to "de-emphasize" firearms ability at that time.

I subsequently won the "top gun" handgun competition (Using a Glock 21) at my department in 1992 and 1993 , both years I was an officer, ... completely deficient.

Twenty years later, my only "contest" is of my own design. How quickly can I keep both my first and 2nd shot on a 6 inch circle at 6 - 7 yards? This is a much stricter (self imposed) accuracy standard than simply hitting inside the silhouette of a "coke-bottle" target.
If keeping both 1st & 2nd shot on a 6 inch circle at 6 - 7 yards with an average time of .26 second using a 9mm Glock 19 is deficient, then I certainly am.
If a .29 second average split with a Glock 30 using flush fitting magazines and 230 gr. ammo is deficient, then I am completely deficient.

That .03 (three hundredths second) difference average in split times is such a handicap, I should choose the softer shooting 9mm, so I can control it.
Why so serious? Lighten up CDW4ME! It's all in good fun!

Regards,
Happyguy

Last edited by happyguy; 02-18-2014 at 16:28..