SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-14-2014, 18:45   #41
DonD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinspeed View Post
I don't want to sound like a jerk but if you like to shoot and don't reload you're a fool. People who don't reload talk like the main result of reloading is you end up shooting a lot more for less money.

The main advantage for me, and others might be different, is I always have several thousand rounds ready to shoot and/or in process. I couldn't imagine wanting to shoot and having to go search for ammo. My only dilemma is which dies should be in the press.
For the vast majority of the cases, reloading is the way, I do for everything I have but 9mm. Everything I shoot now with .357, .500 Mag, 7.62x39, .458 Win Mag and .300WSM is a reload.

Right now, if I were to buy commercial FMJs for the 9mm, the cost of the slugs, primers and powder would be about the same as Walmart 9mm. Not a good deal there. Don
DonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 19:07   #42
Rinspeed
JAFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonD View Post
Right now, if I were to buy commercial FMJs for the 9mm, the cost of the slugs, primers and powder would be about the same as Walmart 9mm. Not a good deal there. Don

Last batch of 9mm I ran cost me $158 per thousand using FMJ, using lead it would have been $20-30 cheaper. Last four times I was at Walmart I checked, just out of curiosity, and they didn't have any 9mm ammo. I know I'm not saving a ton of money but I have quite a few rounds ready to shoot at all times.

You run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking, racing around to come up behind you again, the sun is the same in a relative way but you’re older, shorter of breath and one day closer to death…

Last edited by Rinspeed; 02-16-2014 at 10:59..
Rinspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 19:29   #43
Revvv

Unfortunately not everyone can reload. It would be nice to have the space, presses, ect, but that isn't realistic for all.

I would love to reload, but at the moment that is not a possibility.

.......and from my understanding rimfire ammo can not be reloaded.

Sent by Morse code using rocks and cup phones.
Revvv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 01:44   #44
gorwilla

To answer the three:

45acp, <0.44/rnd or I walk.
40s&w, <0.36/rnd or I walk.
22LR...I miss the availability of CCI mini mag...but still,
<0.07/rnd (CCI) or I walk.

At times like these, you vote with your money.

Man I miss blazer brass...

Last edited by gorwilla; 02-15-2014 at 01:57..
gorwilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 15:30   #45
GWG19

45 ACP .40 to .44 for FMJ
9mm .23 to .30 for FMJ
- If you’re not moving, you’re dead.
GWG19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 17:43   #46
RonS

I am buying Federal Champion 9mm at .029 at WM. I have paid more at the LGS if I need it for a match. Hope it doesn't dry up before summer, I can only justify spending so much per month.
Old 02-16-2014, 01:52   #47
glide

In Maui, Hawaii I was actually able to find .45 ACP WWB (50 rounds) at the local Sports Authority for $23 plus 4 percent tax. Not too bad price. As for .22LR ammo, forget it. I've not seen rimfire ammo for over a year or maybe longer in the shops I frequented. I'm holding on to what I have and shooting very sparingly nowadays.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:22   #48
M2 Carbine

Quote:
Unfortunately not everyone can reload. It would be nice to have the space, presses, ect, but that isn't realistic for all.
Do you waste time watching the liberal TV news talking heads or other equally time wasting TV shows?

If so, you have plenty of time to reload. And it can be very inexpensive. (in 1961 I had to start reloading because I couldn't afford store bought 38 and 45 ammo)

In reloading, money is time. The more money you spend on equipment the less time it takes to reload a box of ammo.
As a rule of thumb, reloaded ammo costs a little less than half what the same store bought ammo costs. Less if you buy the components on sale and in bulk.

For instance, it takes under 10 minutes to load a box of pistol ammo on my Dillon press.
General Firearms Forum

It takes about 30 minutes to load a box of ammo on this $33 Lee "hand tool" press.
Your whole reloading outfit can fit in a medium size box in a corner of the closet.
I use this press for small jobs like making 30 test rounds.
General Firearms Forum

Last edited by M2 Carbine; 02-16-2014 at 10:25..
M2 Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 15:00   #49
GWG19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvv View Post
My first reloading area was in a corner in my bed room. I built a corner cabinet and bench and went to town with a Lee single stage press. Lee now has a slick little loading bench.
http://leeprecision.com
We always find time and way a way for what we want.
When we built our house I had a loading room made.
General Firearms Forum
- If you’re not moving, you’re dead.

Last edited by GWG19; 02-16-2014 at 15:06..
GWG19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 02:45   #50
varget

Like M2Carbine I started loading in the early 60's. Problem is that now replenishing powder(especially!)is almost impossible. Primers are 3X what they used to cost and slugs have more than doubled in just the last 2 yrs. As has been stated .22 RF is just out of sight. Have gone to pump air pistols and lead pellets. Young people today just accept these prices as normal and within the next 8 yrs. of hellary the shooting fraternity will shrink rapidly as minimum wage workers can barely afford to eat and pay utility bills, much less have money for recreation like shooting. Sad state of affairs.
varget is offline   Reply With Quote