Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-08-2014, 18:42   #1
DonCT

Judge rules Ten Commandments monument must go

Religious Issues

Quote:
BLOOMFIELD, N.M. (AP) A federal judge on Thursday ruled that a New Mexico city must remove a monument inscribed with the Ten Commandments from the lawn in front of Bloomfield City Hall.
http://news.yahoo.com/judge-rules-te...141940443.html
Old 08-08-2014, 19:38   #2
oldman11

Why? Did the Muslims gripe about it, or is this just another left libtard complaint in their attempt to bring down America? Communists are taking over our way of life, thanks to Obama and his minions.
oldman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 19:57   #3
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman11 View Post
Why? Did the Muslims gripe about it, or is this just another left libtard complaint in their attempt to bring down America? Communists are taking over our way of life, thanks to Obama and his minions.
Geez, propaganda much?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Geko45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 20:50   #4
DonCT

Quote:
Find some good light, and have someone read you the linked story. Muslims were not involved, nor were communists.

Last edited by DonCT; 08-08-2014 at 20:52..
DonCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 20:57   #5
nursetim

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCT View Post
Find some good light, and have someone read you the linked story. Muslims were not involved, nor were communists.
Well, the aclu certainly aren't shall we say, subscribers of capitalism, are they? They would be fine with a communist state I believe anyway.
Old 08-08-2014, 21:07   #6
DonCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nursetim View Post
Well, the aclu certainly aren't shall we say, subscribers of capitalism, are they? They would be fine with a communist state I believe anyway.
Your belief is wrong. A communist state would conflict with the ACLU's mission, which is "to defend and preserve the individual rights and liberties that the Constitution and laws of the United States guarantee everyone in this country."

Also, do keep in mind that a majority of those commandments are blatantly unconstitutional.

https://www.aclu.org/guardians-freedom

Last edited by DonCT; 08-08-2014 at 21:12..
Old 08-08-2014, 21:45   #7
Tvov

"...The suit was filed in 2012 on behalf of two Bloomfield residents who practice the Wiccan religion...."

lol...umm...what??

I'm not sure what is weirder, that it is one religion complaining about another, or that it is the "wiccan religion"...
Tvov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 21:49   #8
kostnerave

Quote:
Just a real dirt bag that our judicial system is teaming with.
kostnerave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 21:54   #9
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Let me explain to everyone how you can have the 10 commandments monuments.

First thing you do is make a monument of the most ancient laws.
Persian
10 commandments
Charlamain's (SP?)
Something from Asia

This way it is not a religious monument, but a monument about laws. It is just that simple.
Old 08-08-2014, 21:55   #10
DonCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostnerave View Post
Just a real dirt bag that our judicial system is teaming with.
You can uphold the Constitution, OR a religious display on government property. Not both.

Awww, Christian Sharia law got struck down.
Old 08-09-2014, 02:09   #11
Guss

If you read the commandments and compare them to our laws, there's not much overlap. It's totally out of place at a courthouse.
Guss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 02:21   #12
Dave514

"We firmly support the right of individuals, religious groups, and community associations to publicly display religious monuments, but the government should not be in the business of picking which sets of religious beliefs belong at City Hall," Simonson said Friday.

Painful?

Now think about if the government had a Muslim monument in front of your City Hall.
Dave514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 05:57   #13
fowl intent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave514 View Post
"We firmly support the right of individuals, religious groups, and community associations to publicly display religious monuments, but the government should not be in the business of picking which sets of religious beliefs belong at City Hall," Simonson said Friday.

Painful?

Now think about if the government had a Muslim monument in front of your City Hall.
Dave, why do you keep trying to derail a rant with logic and common sense?
fowl intent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 06:08   #14
Tvov

Seems to me that if they just allow a big boiling pot of potion in front of the city hall everything would be fine.

Last edited by Tvov; 08-09-2014 at 06:09..
Tvov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 07:17   #15
Bren
NRA Life Member

When the issue is racism, I always say the best common sense test is to change the race involved. For example, if the local government says, we want a separate hiring list for black police officers so we can hire more black officers, change "black" to "white" and see if you think the public would consider that racist. If the answer is yes, then it's racist either way and you have just been conditioned to ignore one-sided racism.

The same can be applied to religious discrimination. If the issue is, should the city hall have a Christian monument on its front lawn, change the religion. How about if the city hall puts a big Star of David on the front lawn in Miami? How about some type of Muslim flag or monument on the Dearborn, MI, city hall lawn? Maybe a Buddha on the lawn in Berkley? Those are all the same to me, but common sense tells me Christians would object to any statues or monuments of non-Christian religions being put on publicly owned property. therefore, I think it is discriminatory and I think it is so obvious it must be intentional.

The only defense to that I have ever heard from Christians is "but it's a Christian nation, founded on Christian principles." Instead of arguing against that, let's assume it's true. It's also a nation founded by white people to as great an extent as Christians, but we don't argue that allows us to exclude other races from voting, or holding office or going to school or whatever. We don't argue that because the founders were capitalists, the 1st Amendment doesn't allow free speech for communists. So even if the founders were 100% Christian, they very clearly intended, and said they intended, for the government to treat all religions equally. Basically, churches handled religion and government had nothing to do with it.

How is that so hard to grasp? Can modern Christians not even comprehend that Christian founders may have intended the country to treat all religions equally?

Last edited by Bren; 08-09-2014 at 07:19..
Bren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 07:21   #16
JBnTX
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave514 View Post

A Muslim (or atheist) monument should NOT be allowed, but a Christian monument should be allowed, simply because this is a Christian country.

Muslims, atheists and other religions are welcome, but they must understand that we observe the Christian faith in both our private lives and our government.

If they don't like it then they can move to another country. They should NOT be allowed to destroy the Christian culture of America just to further their own heathen desires.

America desperately needs to regain it's national identity and re-establish a Christian based culture. We could start by declaring Christianity the official religion of this country, and English as the official language.

Last edited by JBnTX; 08-09-2014 at 07:33..
JBnTX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 07:31   #17
JBnTX
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post

... Can modern Christians not even comprehend that Christian founders may have intended the country to treat all religions equally?
All religions are not equal. Events happening in the world today prove that.

Many Christians (myself included) believe that the founding fathers were referring ONLY to Christianity when they established the first amendment's freedom of religion.

They feared the establishment of a Protestant or Catholic dominated government, like so many governments in Europe had become. Each person should be free to practice Christianity as they saw fit without government influence.

Freedom of religion was never intended that any person can worship any God they choose. That's no different from paganism and leads to chaos and social disorder.

Last edited by JBnTX; 08-09-2014 at 07:34..
JBnTX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 08:22   #18
DonCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBnTX View Post
A Muslim (or atheist) monument should NOT be allowed, but a Christian monument should be allowed, simply because this is a Christian country.
You keep saying that. It continues not to be true.

Quote:
We could start by declaring Christianity the official religion of this country
What part of "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion" is unclear to you? That is the first clause in the first sentence of the first individual right listed in the Constitution.

It is becoming clearer why Christians are so ardently anti-education.

Last edited by DonCT; 08-09-2014 at 08:22..
Old 08-09-2014, 08:24   #19
Dave514

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBnTX View Post

Muslims, atheists and other religions are welcome, but they must understand that we observe the Christian faith in both our private lives and our government.

If they don't like it then they can move to another country. They should NOT be allowed to destroy the Christian culture of America just to further their own heathen desires.

America desperately needs to regain it's national identity and re-establish a Christian based culture. We could start by declaring Christianity the official religion of this country, and English as the official language.

Hey, you should check out this little thing called the US Constitution.

You and your religion are welcome here but it carries no weight.

BTW, while your here. Follow our Laws. We don't be following your 10 commandments.

Last edited by Dave514; 08-09-2014 at 08:56..
Dave514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 08:39   #20
DonCT

Just for fun, here is a US Constitution word counter.

http://www.sporcle.com/games/rocktol...titution_words

Do you know how many times the words "God" "Christian" or "Jesus" are in there?