Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-08-2014, 00:22   #1
drifter2be

Looking for a reliable budget AK

So, let me preface this with I am a dyed in the wool AR-15 guy (please no flaming me, first rifle I ever had the pleasure of shooting was a registered full-auto AR, kinda left a lasting impression) and as such I know little about the various AK rifles on the market.

I do own an AK pistol (Zastava M85 NB, love that it shared ammo and mags with my AR plus it looks like it would make liberals poop their pants)

I am wanting to expand out a bit. Unlike some that always post about cutting back calibers, I want to expand the number of calibers I own, so that in the next panic, I can find ammo for SOMETHING that I own. My plan is to make the AK my "mid-length" gun, as my M85 is my short gun and I plan on swapping the barrel on my AR to a 20" barrel and setting it up for long range shooting.

I have been looking at a lot of guns recently and it's hard for me to distinguish what about one is better than another. Particulars such as the type of furniture it comes with are unimportant as that can all be changed down the road. I am really looking for something that will go bang every time I pull the trigger and reliably extract, eject and feed. The only thing I know I DON'T want is a VZ2008, because I want something that uses standard AK mags. Lastly, I would like the price before shipping/ffl fees to be $600 or less, figure that gives me lots of options from what I have seen.

The ones that have caught my eye so far are:
WASR 10/63
Zastava N-PAP
I.O. AKM247

So...of those three, what would be the better gun? Any others in my price range I should consider over those?
drifter2be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 00:55   #2
Gator Monroe

You can't go wrong with a Type 56 Chinese "Spiker" AK !
Gator Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 05:02   #3
Rick O'Shay

I have never met an AK I didn't like. That being said, there are two that have left a lasting impression:

SAR-1 is a fantastic example, 100% reliable, awesome accuracy. The usually can be found with a nice recoil pad on them, and very easy to shoot.

MAK-90 by Norinco is the best-built AK I've seen, and so accurate at 100 yards that it is amazing. I have one with a scope installed, and I can shoot clays on a 45-degree berm and hit 10 for 10 with no problem. These have usually (in these parts, anyway) commanded an extra $100 each compared to the Romanian and Hungarian ones.
Rick O'Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 07:12   #4
John43

Opaps are back again, less than $600.
John43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 08:49   #5
captainstormy

Send a message via ICQ to captainstormy Send a message via AIM to captainstormy Send a message via Yahoo to captainstormy
He's not going to find a Chinese AK for less than $600.

Honestly any AK you find under $600 is going to be about the same. They should be plenty reliable for you. Just make sure it's something that takes double stack mags and has a bayonet lug.

You'll find lots of Romanians and Yugos in that price range, they are both good.

To get any of the higher end AKs your going to have to spend a bit more.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:54   #6
DMS45

Quote:
Originally Posted by John43 View Post
Opaps are back again, less than $600.
Do they have a web site? Century is over 700.
DMS45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 08:57   #7
John43

Buds.
John43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:07   #8
Gator Monroe

MAK 90 is easily found for $600.00 and depending on his state , a Type 56 or 56S ( Unless he is in California NY NJ MA HA CT ...
Old 08-08-2014, 09:15   #9
captainstormy

Send a message via ICQ to captainstormy Send a message via AIM to captainstormy Send a message via Yahoo to captainstormy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator Monroe View Post
MAK 90 is easily found for $600.00 and depending on his state , a Type 56 or 56S ( Unless he is in California NY NJ MA HA CT ...
Maybe in some areas. I guess it depends on how many are in the area. I've never seen one in Ohio for less than $600.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:30   #10
Gator Monroe

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainstormy View Post
Maybe in some areas. I guess it depends on how many are in the area. I've never seen one in Ohio for less than $600.
Gently used MAK 90 (Slant Cut) or a Type 56 truck gun (well used but serviceable) are sitting in a nearby Gun & Loan (Pawn Shop) or FFL Storefront (Gun Shop) all over this Country...
Old 08-08-2014, 10:14   #11
captainstormy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator Monroe View Post
Gently used MAK 90 (Slant Cut) or a Type 56 truck gun (well used but serviceable) are sitting in a nearby Gun & Loan (Pawn Shop) or FFL Storefront (Gun Shop) all over this Country...
Depends on the area I'd guess. I check pawn shops once a month or so for the past few years for good firearms deals. I've only seen 3-4 AKs in that whole time. Mostly Saigas.

Mostly what I see is shotguns and handguns.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:43   #12
SmithietheFox

$600 or less may be slight wishful thinking these days. I've seen Yugo PAPs in the $500-600 range but not much else (and who knows how long PAPs will be available at current prices?)

Always looking for German Weatherby Customs and Stoner 63A parts and accessories.
SmithietheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:44   #13
DMS45

John43, Yes that's a good price. I don't like their wording though,makes me wonder if the receiver is actually a yugo? All AK variants are going for a lot, like most every thing else. I for one don't see prices ever going back down. All one can do is try and get the best price, and get what you want.
Old 08-08-2014, 11:24   #14
The_Gun_Guru
Ban Democrats!!

O-pap!!!!!!!

Tgg
Kalashnikov Klub #4519
OD G19 - LOTS of AKs - Only ONE AR....but it's a Colt!
NO AMNESTY FOR ILLEGAL ALIENS!!!
This is America. If you can't or won't speak English, PLEASE LEAVE!!!

Last edited by The_Gun_Guru; 08-08-2014 at 11:26..
The_Gun_Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 12:04   #15
DMS45

:QUOTE=The_Gun_Guru;21444166]O-pap!!!!!!!

Tgg[/QUOTE]Don't know what you mean, but with today's prices.

Last edited by DMS45; 08-08-2014 at 12:06..
Old 08-08-2014, 12:20   #16
Gator Monroe

Why OPAP when you can get an AB70 ?
Old 08-08-2014, 12:22   #17
drifter2be

Well, I found a I.O. AKM247-t at a price i am comfortable paying. Black polymer grip and stock, quadrail handguard and a phantom flashhider. By the time i add in shipping and the deal my FFL gives me I am looking at less than $600 total and would need nothing more than the optic mount for the side rail and a red dot sight, but neither is necessary.

I remember reading threads about reliability being spotty on their hellpup AK pistols. How do they do in terms of QC on their rifles?
Old 08-08-2014, 21:40   #18
willdabeast

If it was me I would stay away from the IO guns. I think in your budget I would pick up a wasr. All the newer wasrs I've seen have been gtg. I just picked one up not long ago, was originally looking at some pricier models, but after inspecting bought the wasr and used the savings on mags and ammo. At first I was afraid I would regret not getting an arsenal, but I couldnt be happier, wasr is awesome and what good is apretty rifle without lots of ammo to feed it?
willdabeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 22:41   #19
drifter2be

Quote:
Originally Posted by willdabeast View Post
If it was me I would stay away from the IO guns. I think in your budget I would pick up a wasr. All the newer wasrs I've seen have been gtg. I just picked one up not long ago, was originally looking at some pricier models, but after inspecting bought the wasr and used the savings on mags and ammo. At first I was afraid I would regret not getting an arsenal, but I couldnt be happier, wasr is awesome and what good is apretty rifle without lots of ammo to feed it?
Thanks for the input. One thing I have been told about AKs from Century is to physically inspect the specific gun you are buying before purchasing. Was told they have had serious quality control issues in the past, lots of guns coming out with canted sights and other issues.

I am planning on doing a bit of AK window shopping at a few local gun stores tomorrow (with cash in my pocket just incase something really tempts me). I will definitely look at the WASR rifles while I am out. I know one or two stores I frequent usually have one or two on the wall.

The biggest reason for my $600 budget on the gun is because I want to make sure I am well stocked on mags and ammo. I'm actually in the $1000 range on budget, but the plan is to have at least 1000 rounds and 10 mags on day 1.
Old 08-08-2014, 22:46   #20
Inebriated

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter2be View Post
Thanks for the input. One thing I have been told about AKs from Century is to physically inspect the specific gun you are buying before purchasing. Was told they have had serious quality control issues in the past, lots of guns coming out with canted sights and other issues.

I am planning on doing a bit of AK window shopping at a few local gun stores tomorrow (with cash in my pocket just incase something really tempts me). I will definitely look at the WASR rifles while I am out. I know one or two stores I frequent usually have one or two on the wall.

The biggest reason for my $600 budget on the gun is because I want to make sure I am well stocked on mags and ammo. I'm actually in the $1000 range on budget, but the plan is to have at least 1000 rounds and 10 mags on day 1.
Make it 34 mags and you won't have to worry about finding a place to put a case
Kalashnikov Klub Member #870
Black Rifle Club Member #2L8
The 21 Club Member #19691
Inebriated is offline   Reply With Quote