Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-08-2014, 15:35   #1
gamecocks

Range report with new Les Baer

Well, just got home from an awesome trip to the range with my new Les Baer UTC. The gun feels and shoots wonderfully. I put 200 rounds of federal 230g fmj and a box of 20 federal HST 230g HPs. I did have a few minor problems, but expected I might have a few hiccups early on. I ran it pretty wet, but think maybe not quite wet enough, as most issues would happen after a handful of mags had been shot since last oiling. Anyway, in the 1st 100 or 125 rounds, I had 2 failure to feeds, both on the last round in the magazine. Also had it try to feed 2 rounds twice. Also had 3 times where the gun needed a slap on the back of the slide to get it fully into battery. Again, I expected a few issues early on. It ran flawlessly the last 50-75 rounds. It definitely felt like it smoothed out somewhat. Both the trigger, and racking the slide feel a little smoother now.(maybe just in my mind, who knows). Hopefully the problems will occur less and less as I shoot it. Anyway, not too much else to say really...love this gun, feels great, shoot great, and is absolutely beautiful. Here are some dirty pics after shooting, before wiping down.1911 Forums1911 Forums1911 Forums

And finally, my first 6 mags. 3 to the chest, 3 to the head, @10yards. Not perfect, but pretty good shooting. Just offhand, probably a shot every second or two.
1911 Forums
Old 08-08-2014, 18:00   #2
GlockFanWA

Nice, like my Baer
GlockFanWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 19:20   #3
Jim Watson

I am not a big Glock fan, preferring my 1911s, but I think it is a darned shame a big name like Baer cannot deliver a working gun. A gun that requires break in at customer expense is an unfinished product.
Old 08-08-2014, 19:37   #4
gamecocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
I am not a big Glock fan, preferring my 1911s, but I think it is a darned shame a big name like Baer cannot deliver a working gun. A gun that requires break in at customer expense is an unfinished product.
I have a hard time disagreeing with this, and it's very fair, especially after you just read my range report above. That said, I bought this gun mostly just for a range toy so I am not too bummed my range session today wasn't perfect. Even with a few jams, I'm pretty sure I was grinning ear to ear, and shooting very well for my first range trip in about 4-5 months. But again, cannot really argue your point.
Old 08-08-2014, 20:05   #5
Berto
woo woo

Congrats on the beautiful pistol, and nice shooting.
Berto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 20:33   #6
ojabog

Congrats on the Baer. They are phenominal guns. I recently bought a Sw1911Performance Center and having same issues. Had to tap into battery twice, one FTE in the first 75 rounds. Disheartening to pay all that money and have it not run out of the box. Praying it will loosen up and run with more usage.
Old 08-08-2014, 20:38   #7
gamecocks

Thanks, Berto!

Ojabog-I'm sort of thinking the same thing. If the problems go away soon, I won't mind though. I feel like the last 50-75 rounds today were fine. Hopefully it is already smoothing out the problems. Fingers crossed.
Old 08-08-2014, 21:09   #8
ojabog

Best of luck with the Baer. Im sure it will end up being just fine.
Old 08-08-2014, 21:13   #9
Berto
woo woo

I agree with JW's point, but at the same time roughly 50% of the new pistols I've brought home over the years were sketchy in the first few magazines, that includes a Glock.
In fact, other than my Makarov and 3913, I'm pretty sure most of my pistols choked a few times until they got some real use.
Berto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 21:24   #10
gamecocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berto View Post
I agree with JW's point, but at the same time roughly 50% of the new pistols I've brought home over the years were sketchy in the first few magazines, that includes a Glock.
In fact, other than my Makarov and 3913, I'm pretty sure most of my pistols choked a few times until they got some real use.
That makes me feel better. Although I definitely wasn't stressing about it. If it doesn't improve, I'll be bothered, but I am expecting it to get better. Like I said, it did seem to get better as the round count went up today.

On a slightly different topic, the new range bag I ordered was waiting for me WHEN I GOT BACK FROM THE RANGE! Typical Oh well, looking forward to using it next trip.
Old 08-08-2014, 21:35   #11
bac1023

Awesome shooting indeed

Congrats again on an outstanding 1911.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 22:30   #12
gamecocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
Awesome shooting indeed

Congrats again on an outstanding 1911.
Thanks bac! Probably had my best trip to the range today, so I had to brag on it a little. Amazing how much easier it is to hold the steel 1911 steady, after getting so used to the light weight Glock 19 over the last year or so. Also, the trigicon sights on the Les Baer I like alot better than the stock Glock sights. I have been thinking about changing those for a long time, and this made my decision pretty easy. May go with something different like warren tactical, but haven't thought much about it yet. My mind is still too consumed with my new toy anyway.
Old 08-08-2014, 22:55   #13
wrx04

GC,

Nice shooting brotha. I wouldnt worry about the FTF's on the first trip. Both my Baers took a while, but they did break in eventually. You may want to look into some better mags though. The Baer mags suck, IMO.

Ive had good luck with wilson etm's and chip mccormicks. Other guys here can tell you what they use. Invest $$$ in good mags though......it will help with a lot of headaches down the road. Baer makes a great full size pistol, but the mags and packaging suck
wrx04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 23:00   #14
gamecocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrx04 View Post
GC,

Nice shooting brotha. I wouldnt worry about the FTF's on the first trip. Both my Baers took a while, but they did break in eventually. You may want to look into some better mags though. The Baer mags suck, IMO.

Ive had good luck with wilson etm's and chip mccormicks. Other guys here can tell you what they use. Invest $$$ in good mags though......it will help with a lot of headaches down the road. Baer makes a great full size pistol, but the mags and packaging suck
Thanks for the advice. I had heard the Baer mags weren't great. Maybe I'll try to find a few Wilsons sometime soon.
Old 08-08-2014, 23:02   #15
GlockFanWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
My Baer has yet to have a failure of any type.
GlockFanWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 23:29   #16
itstime

What mags do Baer use? Baer? I don't own a Baer and never heard their mags suck. I'm kinda surprised he would let that happen.
itstime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 00:10   #17
wrx04

Quote:
Originally Posted by itstime View Post
What mags do Baer use? Baer? I don't own a Baer and never heard their mags suck. I'm kinda surprised he would let that happen.
Les uses his own mags. They have no name or markings on them. Weak springs. I have six of them and they are, by far, the worst 1911 mags i own.

If you read up on it, i think most would agree they are sub-par. Like i said, with Baer you get a great gun. Thats about it.
wrx04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 01:43   #18
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecocks View Post
Thanks for the advice. I had heard the Baer mags weren't great. Maybe I'll try to find a few Wilsons sometime soon.

Flush fit 7-rds Tripp Research Cobra mags. Nuff said.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 08-09-2014, 07:58   #19
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecocks View Post
Thanks bac! Probably had my best trip to the range today, so I had to brag on it a little. Amazing how much easier it is to hold the steel 1911 steady, after getting so used to the light weight Glock 19 over the last year or so. Also, the trigicon sights on the Les Baer I like alot better than the stock Glock sights. I have been thinking about changing those for a long time, and this made my decision pretty easy. May go with something different like warren tactical, but haven't thought much about it yet. My mind is still too consumed with my new toy anyway.
Yeah, there's not much comparison between a Les Baer and a Glock 19 at the range.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 08-09-2014, 07:59   #20
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by itstime View Post
Honestly, get something else, like Wilson or Chip McCormick. Baer mags are not the best.