Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-06-2014, 21:52   #1
Nalapombu

Can STANDARD Thickness 1911 Grips be Sanded Down to THIN Size??

Hey all,

I much prefer my 1911's to have THIN grips. The size that has to have the THIN grip screw bushings.

I was looking for some decent and "affordable" think grips the other night and ran across some chatter about how you could take a standard set of grips and simply sand them down a bit and have yourself a set of THIN grips just like you ordered them that way.
I was skeptical. I have mistakenly took a set of standard thickness grips and was sanding the back of them to get them even and nice and smooth and the next thing I know the grip screw bushings wouldn't hold them on. I guess I went way too much crazy with the sandpaper.

Anyone ever tried it? What do you think? Can I just sand a bit off to equal the THIN thickness and not have to buy a new set?

Thanks all.

Nalajr
Old 08-07-2014, 00:26   #2
4Rules

Sanding or grinding them down, rather than just buying what you want, seems to me to be a wasted effort; Brownells has a wide selection suitable for all budgets.
4Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 01:44   #3
Tiro Fijo

No, as the thin grips require shorter grip screw bushings.
Tiro Fijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 04:33   #4
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiro Fijo View Post
No, as the thin grips require shorter grip screw bushings.
They are also usually plastic or wood glued to plastic, because thinner wood grips will break.
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 07:15   #5
bac1023

Nala, I wouldn't waste the effort doing all that. Plus, you would then need new screws. Just buy a thin set. They are not expensive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 07:16   #6
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
They are also usually plastic or wood glued to plastic, because thinner wood grips will break.
Not really. I've got some thin wood grips on a couple 1911s.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 08-07-2014, 22:48   #7
Nalapombu

I've got both sets of grip screw bushings and I do have a THIN set of bushings on my Commander with the THIN grips by AlumaGrips.

I was reading about some grips for sale over on the Classifieds on the 1911 forum and ran across a post where one guy said that's all that you needed to do to turn a standard thickness grip into a THIN set.

I thought it sounded fishy when I read it, that's why I posted it here, to see what you all thought.

Thanks for the info and help.

I've seen some really nice looking thin grips on eBay lately. They are a beautiful deep red in smooth, checkered and the 1/2 checkered pattern. Not that expensive either.

Speaking of the 1/2 checkered grips, the ones that have that diagonal line separating the smooth part from the checkered, you know what I am talking about? I have thought about getting a set of those, but before I do I'd like to know if a Colt Medallion could be put in that style of checkering on THIN grips. Anyone know for sure?

I've always been nuts for nice looking grips with silver COLT medallions in them. Anyone else really like them and think that they really set off the looks of a nice Colt 1911?

Thanks again

Nalajr
Old 08-08-2014, 10:37   #8
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

I don't know if the thin grip has enough meat to support the Colt medallion without cracking.
Old 08-08-2014, 13:05   #9
smokey45

Chip McCormic makes some nice thin grips for the 1911. I have a set on my Officer's model.
s45
Old 08-08-2014, 13:29   #10
BuckyP
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
Not really. I've got some thin wood grips on a couple 1911s.
BuckyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 16:03   #11
CBennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
Nala, I wouldn't waste the effort doing all that. Plus, you would then need new screws. Just buy a thin set. They are not expensive.
^^ this im going through the same thing right now for the Hi power I want a set of thin grips and the few ive seen are thin a few are expensive a few are relatively cheap...same deal for the 1911. the more expensive ones are around $60-70 (VZ,alumagrips,something in G10) there are a few in the $20-30 range though. http://www.brownells.com/items/1911-slim-grips.aspx
CBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 21:51   #12
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalapombu View Post
I've always been nuts for nice looking grips with silver COLT medallions in them. Anyone else really like them and think that they really set off the looks of a nice Colt 1911?

Thanks again

Nalajr
I think those as well, but they would need to be standard thickness.

Old 08-09-2014, 00:12   #13
Nalapombu

Well I figured as much. That explains why I never see any for sale. In fact I don't think I have ever seen a set of THIN grips that were SMOOTH that had a medallion in them. I guess that would make them likely to break easily.

I wonder if I could get a set of grips and have them thinned out a bit just enough to support a medallion? Sounds like a lot of aggravation to go through just to get a set of grips that I like though. Probably expensive. I'd probably have to task something like that to Esmerelda. If she can't do it, it can't be done. My LORD she makes some beautiful grips though.

The standard thickness grips just aren't comfortable in my hands. The THIN grips are so much better feeling to me.

Thanks all for the help and ideas. I appreciate your input, believe me.

One last thing, if you have any ideas as to what grips look really good on BLUED COLT 1911's, how about posting it. I'd like to get some different ideas than my own narrow field of view. It's very likely that you all would suggest a shade or color of grips and I'd seen them and think "oh wow, those are beautiful, I need to go that way instead of my original plan"

So, if you have any ideas or experiences trying to decide on grips to pretty up your own 1911, I'd like to hear it.

Everyone except BAC....we've only got so much time and bandwidth here....

Nalajr

Last edited by Nalapombu; 08-09-2014 at 00:12..
Nalapombu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 12:14   #14
PhotoFeller

Thin grips are available from LOTS of on-line sources at different price levels. I'm partial to the traditional double diamond and checkered grip design in cocobolo or some other dark wood. If you're interested in having the Colt emblem, I'm thinking you want traditional style grips.

I've never seen thin grips with the Colt emblem. I think someone makes the thin ones with "Colt" carved into the wood between the diamonds and surrounded by checkering.

These have the emblem, but they aren't your preferred thickness:

PhotoFeller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 15:30   #15
Nalapombu

Those rosewood grips really look good. I think they would look great on my blued NRM. I don't particularly like the GOLD medallions though, I much prefer SILVER. It just looks better to my eye I guess.

I'll likely end up getting something similar to that if I can't find a "reduced" thickness grip that can take those medallions.

I've looked at so many grips over the years at all kinds of online sites. The ones that catch my eye more than any other are IVORY grips and for those that are less financially inclined like myself, the FAUX IVORY grips, both with SILVER Colt Medallions. They are the most beautiful grips ever. That's what I would want if I could afford $300 (minimum) for a set of grips.

I'm gonna bet that someone is going to post some sweet pics of ivory grips on 1911's for all of us to admire. BAC....are you there??

Thanks all.

Nalajr