SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-23-2007, 17:24   #1
G_34
STUMPY

Kansas Coyote

Anyone else Hunt this mangy Critters. Just picked off my first one this morning going after our ducks on the frozen over pond. Hit him with my Remington 597 .22 with a CCI stinger.
Midwest Glockers
Midwest Glockers
G_34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 18:12   #2
rickh

careful there, your about to get hooked! Will cost you lots of money...
I hunt them here in Nebraska but they seem to be getting pretty thin in the East Central area of the state.
Wanted to go this morning, but too dang cold!
How far was your shot and where was the placement. Is that rifle a Center Fire or Rim Fire?
Rick H...
rickh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 18:33   #3
G_34
STUMPY

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickh View Post
careful there, your about to get hooked! Will cost you lots of money...
I hunt them here in Nebraska but they seem to be getting pretty thin in the East Central area of the state.
Wanted to go this morning, but too dang cold!
How far was your shot and where was the placement. Is that rifle a Center Fire or Rim Fire?
Rick H...
He was just a hair over 100 yds out. From an elevated position, wind 5-10mph. That is a Remington .22 rim fire. I shot him with Hyper-velocity CCI stingers that are 32 Grain hollow-points. 1640 fps at the muzzle.
I struck him right behind the shoulder blade on his left side exited right shoulder you can see the entrance wound on the second pic right by the rifle.

G_34

Last edited by G_34; 12-23-2007 at 18:36..
Old 12-24-2007, 06:54   #4
rickh

Darn good shot there with a rim fire no less.....
Wish I was headed out this morning, but to much to do for the Holidays, maybe next weekend.
Pelts don't go for much around here a few bucks maybe 5 for Eastern NE, 12-15 for Western NE.
Rick H...
rickh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 22:10   #5
sandhiller
NRA member

Pelts haven't been worth much for quite a few years now. We mainly shoot 'em because they are a nuisance and I lose some calves to 'em every year. We have a few guys that still run hounds but it's mainly call 'em in or drive around until you see one. Still a good way to spend an afternoon! BTW mange seems to be especially hard on them this year. My youngest found one about 20 yards from the house in the stackyard.
sandhiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 22:40   #6
G_34
STUMPY

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandhiller View Post
Pelts haven't been worth much for quite a few years now. We mainly shoot 'em because they are a nuisance and I lose some calves to 'em every year. We have a few guys that still run hounds but it's mainly call 'em in or drive around until you see one. Still a good way to spend an afternoon! BTW mange seems to be especially hard on them this year. My youngest found one about 20 yards from the house in the stackyard.
Yeah...this one came to my treestand (our house has a walkout basement and is supposed to have a deck but doesnt, so the door to the non-existent deck is my treestand) He was headed toward our ducks on our pond. He was actually very healthy looking, no mange, and plump...shouldn't have been hungry but made the mistake to look for a snack.

That is why we shoot them here too, not for the pelts. I tried to skin this one but am not too skilled with the knife and made too many cut-ins and gave up on it.

My dad used to run greyhounds to catch coyote's and always tells stories about how his favorite dog died chasing a coyote and didn't see a barbed wire fence coming and he close-lined himself breaking his neck. Running dogs seems fun...but would hate to lose a dog this way.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:15   #7
sandhiller
NRA member

G34, I like your "treestand"! I get a few every year out of my office window as they come across the meadow looking for mice and gophers. I'm not good enough at skinning either, just sell them to the fur buyers as is. I have owned a few hounds and they make great pets, very loyal and friendly. Running coyotes is damn hard on them. They love it and are bred for it up here but is very hard to lose them in this way.
sandhiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 06:34   #8
velvetant

I built a custom rifle just for coyotes, I got hooked long ago
velvetant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 18:26   #9
bukn77

Varmint hunting has become my favorite hunting in the last couple years.
Black Rifle Club #823
NRA Pistol Instructor
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
bukn77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 20:25   #10
quimby1

ammo

g 34 do you live close to the sierra ammo plant.if so let me know
quimby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 15:47   #11
SiGlockBoy

Always wanted to do it and haven't.
SiGlockBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 12:48   #12
Hi Ball
Hi Ball

Varmint hunting and killing "song dogs" is great experience for young hunters. It keeps you on your toes and is more fun than shooting paper targets. The wife and I varmint hunt and love hunting coyotes too. You might say we take varmint/coyote hunting real seriously!!!

Rifles used are model 70 Winhester in .243 with Leupold 3 x 9 power. CZ model 527 in the .222 Remy with Bushnell 3200 series in 4 x 12. Savage .204 model 12 with Bushnell 3200 series in 5 x 15 mil-dot. Ruger model 77 in 25-06 with 3200 series in 5 x 15 with mil-dot and turrets. 700 Remington 6mm Remy with 4 x 12 Leupold vari x 2. Also a CZ in .223 caliber in burl walnut, monticarlo stock with Bushnell series 3200 in 5 x 15 power mil-dot.

Last edited by Hi Ball; 07-30-2009 at 12:52..
Hi Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 16:07   #13
bear10

longbow coyote

The last coyote that i shot was taken at 12ft. with an arrow from my lonbow. he made the mistake of hunting in the same place that i was sitting in a ground blind while deer hunting.
bear10 is offline   Reply With Quote