SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-03-2008, 17:18   #1
UtahBen

Sandy PD Concerned W/ CCP Holders...

This is taken from http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=2425910

Four Sandy City police officers are currently on paid administrative leave because of officer-involved shootings. That is the most officers Sandy has ever had on paid leave at once, according to police.

Sgt. Victor Quezada said, "For the workforce part, we'll muddle through it. We've got a 118-man department, so we're OK that way. The citizens won't be neglected. However, for our officers, we want to make sure they're OK."

Three of the four officers were involved in shooting Patrick Rees to death at his home. They were assisting a bail bondsman in revoking Rees' bail. Police say Rees pulled a gun on them.

The fourth officer on leave stems from a traffic stop shooting. On Dec. 30, an officer pulled over a car, and a passenger -- 23-year-old Heron Gonzales -- allegedly fired at the officer.

"You know with the concealed weapons permits that are handed out nowadays, I know we have a lot more guns out there in vehicles. That raises my concern and other officers' concerns greatly, there's no question," Quezada said

On New Year's Day a Sandy police officer pulled over a car and the passenger shot himself in the chest. The officer was not involved, so has not been put on paid leave, but we bring it up because there's been a rash of recent shootings in Sandy.

A detective with the department tells KSL two of the officers involved in the Rees shooting will be back to work this weekend. The district attorney reviewed that case and will not take any action against the three officers.

Meantime, the D.A. is still reviewing the traffic stop shooting.

My question for Sgt, Quezada is how many CCP holders have threatened to or actually fired at any of his Officers?

I think it would be agood idea to leave any comments you have for Sandy PD

Sandy City Police Department-Police Administration (801) 568-7214
Old 01-03-2008, 17:29   #2
mudmanfloyd

Thanks for posting that. Pretty ridiculous. Did any of the shooters in the article actually have ccw permits? Probably not.
mudmanfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 20:01   #3
Steve Koski
Got Insurance?

Them damned CCW holders are always shooting it out with the cops when they get pulled over. Happens every day.
Old 01-03-2008, 22:06   #4
UtahIrishman
BLR

That's such an odd comment. I don't really know what to say. In the past I've always had excellent positive responses from police officers that knew I had a permit and a pistol.

Me thinks they are over generalizing. Reporters are always looking for over generalizations; it makes good copy

----
UtahIrishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 10:53   #5
RyDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBen View Post
This is taken from http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=2425910

Four Sandy City police officers are currently on paid administrative leave because of officer-involved shootings. That is the most officers Sandy has ever had on paid leave at once, according to police.

Sgt. Victor Quezada said, "For the workforce part, we'll muddle through it. We've got a 118-man department, so we're OK that way. The citizens won't be neglected. However, for our officers, we want to make sure they're OK."

Three of the four officers were involved in shooting Patrick Rees to death at his home. They were assisting a bail bondsman in revoking Rees' bail. Police say Rees pulled a gun on them.

The fourth officer on leave stems from a traffic stop shooting. On Dec. 30, an officer pulled over a car, and a passenger -- 23-year-old Heron Gonzales -- allegedly fired at the officer.

"You know with the concealed weapons permits that are handed out nowadays, I know we have a lot more guns out there in vehicles. That raises my concern and other officers' concerns greatly, there's no question," Quezada said

On New Year's Day a Sandy police officer pulled over a car and the passenger shot himself in the chest. The officer was not involved, so has not been put on paid leave, but we bring it up because there's been a rash of recent shootings in Sandy.

A detective with the department tells KSL two of the officers involved in the Rees shooting will be back to work this weekend. The district attorney reviewed that case and will not take any action against the three officers.

Meantime, the D.A. is still reviewing the traffic stop shooting.

My question for Sgt, Quezada is how many CCP holders have threatened to or actually fired at any of his Officers?

I think it would be agood idea to leave any comments you have for Sandy PD

Sandy City Police Department-Police Administration (801) 568-7214

Provo PD and Springville PD were running a drunk checkpoint New Year's Day on 89. I hit it on my way home, got waved over.

Told the Provo PD officer who came to my door I had a CFP and was carrying, and his response was:

"As long as you don't point it at me, it's no problem."

He checked my DL, and sent me on my way.
RyDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 16:10   #6
reerc
Just a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Koski View Post
Them damned CCW holders are always shooting it out with the cops when they get pulled over. Happens every day.
Yeah, those a-holes that have to pass all those background checks, and take all those classes, and pay those fees ... they're the REAL threat!

Old 01-06-2008, 23:03   #7
23glockrock

I would just like to point out that not all police officers, including Sandy officers, are against concealed carry. I'm an officer in Utah and I'm 100% for concealed carry. To be honest, nothing makes me feel safer on a traffic stop than knowing the driver has a CCP. It just means I'm not dealing with a felon/criminal. It's too bad this comment came out the way it did. I don't know if the Sgt just didn't think out the statement first, if he let his opinion out when speaking for a department, or if there was conversation leading up to this that wasn't in the article. Who knows? I just hope this one comment doesn't hurt law enforcement's relationship with the public too much.
23glockrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 21:01   #8
phox_mulder

I live in Sandy.

Never been pulled over by any Sandy PD though, but the few times I have by other departments, my CCW was a non issue after I informed them of it.

phox
PPK/S .380 ACP
Taurus ?? .357 Magnum Revolver
phox_mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 22:41   #9
MPD59

This is one guy's opinion and he got quoted by the media. I hardly believe that a significant number of Sandy officers are concerned about CCP holders.

But that's just THIS one guy's opinion.
MPD59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 08:39   #10
ustate
NRA Member

I've only been pulled over twice since I got my permit, the first time the Trooper just asked if I had it one me and where it was. The 2nd time the Officer asked what kind of pistol I had on me, when I told him it was a G36 he asked me about it since he was thinking of getting a new backup gun and the 36 was on his short list that he was considering. Neither of them seemed to care at all, my brother who is a street cop in Missouri doesn't care either, its those without a permit that worry him, not those of us with the permit.
Old 02-29-2008, 21:22   #11
DevinB
I am awesome...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahIrishman View Post
...In the past I've always had excellent positive responses from police officers that knew I had a permit and a pistol....

Most definitely. Every time I've had an encounter with an officer, they've been very professional about it. One UC sheriff at a DUI checkpoint even shot the breeze with me for a couple minutes about carrying concealed.