Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-05-2008, 16:07   #21
eXe

Well I have been looking at this thread for a while so I figured I would give it a try,

I have a Glock slide in the oven as I type this baking, it looks AMAZING right now.. we will see how it looks after 2 hours.. lol I'm sure it will come out great.

This is a 3rd gen Glock 17 that had been carried a whole lot when I got it (I suspect it was a police trade in because the internals and barrel were like new) so I had it as my truck gun.. but it was looking pretty beat up. I roughed it up a bit with steel wool but it was already rather rough, then I cleaned it up with soap and water after a dunk in degreaser.

Cant wait to see how it comes out.. come on and hurry up 2 hours lol.

I will post pics when it is done.
eXe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 17:12   #22
Texas_XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXe View Post
I have a Glock slide in the oven as I type this baking, it looks AMAZING right now.. we will see how it looks after 2 hours.. lol I'm sure it will come out great.

Cant wait to see how it comes out.. come on and hurry up 2 hours lol.

I will post pics when it is done.

Mine in oven now too! I just used Grill paint as that is all I can find in THREE towns, not a drop of dupli-color to be found. I coated it 3 times lightly and have it around 350 degrees now. About another hr and we'll see, it's just meant for a temp fix till I can afford something like Cera-hide. Too many costly medical issues with our baby to blow too large a funds where "momma" notices!

I am hoping the glossiness calms down when it cools. Right now it looks exactly like gloss paint.

Last edited by Texas_XD; 01-05-2008 at 17:13.. Reason: comment added
Texas_XD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 17:33   #23
eXe

I just took mine out of the oven and I am letting it cool. The glossyness calms down its a nice flat black finish. Once its cold enough Ill stick the sights back on and take some pics.. right now its too darn hot to do much of anything with

Not a really stinky smell either, it was smelly but nothing serious. I did notice it smoked a bit when it got hot but all seems ok. The finish is dry to the touch and feels almost like it was parkerized.
Old 01-05-2008, 18:09   #24
eXe

well, please excuse my crummy photo skills.. lol and my cheap camera, but you get the idea.

This slide was worn down with holster wear pretty badly, and now it looks pretty darn good. Looks much better in person, its almost as good as the factory finish.

Let's just hope it holds up well

FWIW I accidentally sprayed some hoppes on it, wiped it off expecting that the coating would come with it, but it did not.. not even a bit of it. Looks like it will hold up well.

I put the sights back on easily, and put the whole thing back togehter for a few pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Gunsmithing - Click for larger version   Gunsmithing - Click for larger version  
Old 01-05-2008, 18:44   #25
Texas_XD

LOL.. I got to go get mine out, I just turned off the oven and letting it sit in there to cool. Should be ready by now and once my new rear sight comes in, I'll be set.. I hope.
Old 01-05-2008, 19:24   #26
BlenderWizard
President Evil

4 or 6 ga. bare copper ground wire is what I have used to make "mounts" for baking firearm parts. you can make any shape you need.
BlenderWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 19:40   #27
MAX100

eXe Great Job the Glock looks nice just right. You did well on the lettering.

Usually if the results are a glossier finish you are holding the can to close or spraying to heavy with the 1200 degree HH Black.

GC
MAX100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 19:51   #28
Texas_XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAX100 View Post
eXe Great Job the Glock looks nice just right. You did well on the lettering.

Usually if the results are a glossier finish you are holding the can to close or spraying to heavy with the 1200 degree HH Black.

GC
Well.. Good news, bad news for mine!

It came out nice, a bit of gloss, more of a fresh oiled look, which is nice to me. Lettering is just fine, everything from the proof stamp to ss # is readily readable.
Now the bad news! Did you know that a firing pin channel liner and 2hrs of 350 degree heat do NOT mix well?? Well, I do now! During re-assembly I had issues getting the firing pin to slip back in, finally realized what the issue was, a 1/2 melted shut liner! I obviously forgot it when I was prepping/breaking it down and trying to help my wife with the baby. Guess it is done and down till I can locate one and get it here, but it is a pretty looking paper weight.
Old 01-05-2008, 20:11   #29
eXe

Yeah that was the one thing I didnt take out.. The channel liner. Mine made it just fine however No melting, I did check.

Sorry to hear the news, Hope you can get it fixed quickly.
Old 01-05-2008, 20:12   #30
MAX100

The grill paint I've used gave a glossier finish. I did a AK barrel with some, it looked good. It was a charcoal black color. As long as you can get the melted plastic out you are OK.

The newer Glocks now, have a more glossier charcoal black finish.

GC

Last edited by MAX100; 01-05-2008 at 20:16..
Old 01-05-2008, 20:44   #31
Texas_XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAX100 View Post
. As long as you can get the melted plastic out you are OK.

GC

It did more of a collapse on one end, over 1/2 shut. Since I am guessing it helps keep the firing pin tip in line with the FP hole, I should just leave her be till I can get a new one. Hate to ruin a FP over this.

Last edited by Texas_XD; 01-05-2008 at 20:45.. Reason: grammer
Old 01-05-2008, 21:49   #32
MAX100

I meant you would be OK until you replace the part. If melted plastic was stuck in the channel you would have a little problem.

GC
Old 01-06-2008, 17:39   #33
xm17sbullpup

I did my G21 today. It came out excellent. As good as the Durabake I used on a SA 1911before. And at less than $6.00 per can at NAPA a lot cheaper. After degreasing, I heated my slide to 150 degrees, then sprayed 3 light coats. After 20 minutes I baked it for 90 minutes at 400 degrees. I'm waiting for a new Heinie Front Night Sight to arrive, before I reassemble it. Thanks for the heads up Max100.

Now do I want to try the Gray Paint sometime?
Gunsmithing
Glock 21 with Heinie Sights/Tritium Front. Grip Reduction. I refinished the bed liner on the grip and refinished the slide with Dupli Color Ceramic High Temp Paint.
Yes I make the holsters in my photos.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Certified GLOCK, Bushmaster, Mossberg Armorer.

Last edited by xm17sbullpup; 01-18-2008 at 07:57.. Reason: Added info
xm17sbullpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 18:06   #34
MAX100

Show us some pictures when you take some.

If anyone is looking for free site to host your pictures so you can copy paste them right in your post go to Photobucket.com it's free.

When you have your pictures downloaded on photobucket click beside (IMG code) below your downloaded picture then click copy on your computer, click paste to paste it directly in your post. It should look something like this when you paste it before you submit it:

[IMG]photobucket..max100..::ghtrf..edtrc..///[IMG]

The picture will come up in your post so others won't have to click a link to get to your picture.

GC
Old 01-06-2008, 18:27   #35
swatemintx

did this to a smith... sand it down and put masking tape on the underside of the slide. =-)
Old 01-07-2008, 10:49   #36
eXe

Being that I had no other guns to re-finish I did an AR15 mag with this stuff.. normally I use the moly spray lube to re-finish them in the correct gray color but this stuff worked amazing. This will come in handy when I buy some older beat up AK Mags as well.. I was using BBQ paint for them.. but this method is much more permanent and looks better.
Old 01-11-2008, 15:59   #37
coltc

Just got done doing my Ruger I picked up. It wasn't in the best shape so I decided to give this paint a try. I'm happy with the results. I did the trim pieces in the black and the barrel and frame in the aluminum color. Blasted it all, wiped it down, painted it, baked it on. It had some rust and all on it and you can still see some of the pitting caused by the rust but it came out pretty good. It looks better in person, there is a lot of glare in the pics.

Gunsmithing

Gunsmithing

Last edited by coltc; 01-11-2008 at 16:02..
coltc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 17:49   #38
MAX100

Good job! Looks Great! I have never seen what the Aluminum looks like. You won't have to worry about rust anymore. Thanks for the pictures.

I just did a Norinco 870 Shotgun in the black and it looks like it came from the factory that way. I will post pictures of it soon.

xm17sbullpup Your Glock looks like a new gun, Good Job! The bed liner on the grip looks nice also.

GC

Last edited by MAX100; 01-11-2008 at 17:57..
Old 01-16-2008, 00:55   #39
Oreo

Here's a tip for you guys...

This paint is probably a decent way to refinish your guns this time, but the paint WILL wear over time & the next time you go to refinish your gun you're going to have to work your arse off to strip all the old paint off before repainting or else it will look like crap.

HOWEVER.... I discovered while using this paint to refinish the brake calipers on my car, that brake fluid will disolve this paint like liquid lightening! And it won't hurt the steel parts of your gun. (Watch out for the plastic bits though!)
Oreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 12:44   #40
Allman

Oreo,

What kind of brake fluid did you use and was the finish baked on? I just got through trying to remove the finish on the barrel vise I mentioned coating earlier with DOT 3 fluid and it wouldn't phase it. Might as well have been trying to use water.