GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-20-2008, 18:55   #26
MajorAmby

Geko45, I really like the idea of combining the shelter / firemaking, but I don't know if they can even be combined. Some people might have different needs depending on location and such...

To all: I think that we need to rethink the grading scale. Maybe 100 points for the basic three (because they are truly the most important), and then after that there could be bonus point categories? It will still be difficult to reach 100 points even with the bonus points...

In the "basic 3", we can have a separate category for firemaking since it is vital to food, water, and shelter... so essentially they are 4 categories sharing the 100-point scale. Then as bonuses, the Navigation, Communication, and I really think we need to do something about medical / hygiene, and something about environment adaptation (such as respirators, KI tablets, gloves, etc in case of a NBC attack or situation. I think flashlights and NVG's can fit in here too since they are for adapting to a dark environment).

That actually sounds like a pretty solid scale - making the basic 3 (in our case 4) making the 100-point scale and everything else is bonus...
Old 01-20-2008, 19:33   #27
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

I suggest a different scale.
If you have tested your BOB/GHB, you pass.
If you haven't, you fail.

This is an apples/oranges/banana thing.
My bag is good to around 20, below that it gets cold.
Guys in FL, your bags are setup for what 40-50s?
Guys in AZ, how much water do you have to have?
RWBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 22:17   #28
WilyCoyote

Ok I'll workout a firemaking scale tomorrow, but those points hafa come from somewhere. I'll likely have to take down the percentages in the big three down to less than a 5% variable.
WilyCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 22:40   #29
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBlue View Post
I suggest a different scale.
If you have tested your BOB/GHB, you pass.
If you haven't, you fail.
Ok, I did a spreadsheet for your rating system too, but somehow I don't think we'll have as much fun with it.

RWBlue's BOB/GHB Rating System Calculator

Or maybe we will! Here's a screenshot:

Survival/Preparedness Forum
CavDoc: "If you have to pretend that a person with a different opinion has an opinion other than his own in order to score points in an argument, you've forfeited any points that you pretended to have."
CavDoc: "You consider yourself as non-religious, and I consider you a religious zealot."

JBnTX: "Freedom of religion doesn't mean you can worship any God, anyway you see fit or not even worship any God if you so choose. [...] Christianity should be the only religion protected under the constitution, and congress shall make no law restricting its practice."

Last edited by Geko45; 01-20-2008 at 23:04..
Geko45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 23:55   #30
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geko45 View Post
Ok, I did a spreadsheet for your rating system too, but somehow I don't think we'll have as much fun with it.
RWBlue's BOB/GHB Rating System Calculator
Or maybe we will! Here's a screenshot:
Survival/Preparedness Forum
Adversity introduces us to ourselves

There is no second place in survival

Everything you do may kill you .including doing nothing.
RWBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 08:53   #31
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBlue View Post
Adversity introduces us to ourselves

There is no second place in survival

Everything you do may kill you .including doing nothing.
Oh, those are keepers! They're going into the spreadsheet!

CavDoc: "If you have to pretend that a person with a different opinion has an opinion other than his own in order to score points in an argument, you've forfeited any points that you pretended to have."
CavDoc: "You consider yourself as non-religious, and I consider you a religious zealot."

JBnTX: "Freedom of religion doesn't mean you can worship any God, anyway you see fit or not even worship any God if you so choose. [...] Christianity should be the only religion protected under the constitution, and congress shall make no law restricting its practice."
Old 01-21-2008, 10:06   #32

Last edited by 223242; 01-21-2008 at 11:49.. Reason: adjusted for fire => still same result
223242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 10:12   #33
WilyCoyote

Ok fire making ability category has been added by popular demand and the category values have been adjusted accordingly. Geko, if you would be so kind, please update the spreadsheet.
Old 01-21-2008, 13:39   #34
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilyCoyote View Post
Ok fire making ability category has been added by popular demand and the category values have been adjusted accordingly. Geko, if you would be so kind, please update the spreadsheet.
Done and done. We now have 10 categories of BOB/GHB rating goodness!

Semi-Official BOB/GHB Rating System Calculator Version 2.2

My GHB score under the new system went from a 68.5 to a 66.5 so I don't think we've skewed anything to badly with the new categories. I need to rate my BOB too at some point, but am dreading pulling everything apart for inventorying. That suckers PHAT! (figuratively and literally)

Last edited by Geko45; 04-26-2008 at 23:48..
Old 01-21-2008, 15:09   #35
Kieller

tagged for cursing later because I will probably score a 2...
Old 01-21-2008, 15:30   #36
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieller View Post
tagged for cursing later because I will probably score a 2...
Nah, the minimum possible score is 10. You get points for maintaining a pulse and having the ability to form words...

Old 01-21-2008, 23:45   #37
BattletweeteR
dude and stuff

i got a 59.5.

this is pretty neat.
if i decided to carry my 2 person tent then my score would be 72.1
Old 01-21-2008, 23:54   #38
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Version 2.1 I score a 62.1.

Lowest rated or portability and navigation, each at 4.

Just a note: It is, of course, impossible to actually score 100. You arne't going to have a rifle/shotgun, shelter, weeks worth of food, etc AND have it all fit in a pocket.

But that's good. It's all about compromise. You can't bring everything with you, and the more you bring the more you get weighted down...

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 23:55   #39
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

Wow, this got long! Must re-calculate. V2.1

Fire helped me out, food is still mediocre, nav sure didn't help, and neither did comms. Fortunately, as I've said before, my max hike is 5.1 miles from the horses, through sparcely populated areas, or 5.2 miles from work, through nice residential neighborhoods. That dramatically decreases my need for navigational tools, as I'm familiar enough with the area to find alternate routes, from either location, with no problems. Due to the short distances involved, this also makes my lack of gourmet food a less serious problem, and my half dozen Power/Cliff/Tiger Milk bars will suffice.

Category Score Weight Points
Shelter: 9 21% 18.9
Hydro: 10 16% 16.0
Food: 6 12% 7.2
Fire: 10 11% 11.0
Portable: 5 10% 5.0
Navigation: 4 10% 4.0
Durable: 9 5% 4.5
Defense: 10 5% 5.0
First Aid: 6 5% 3.0
Comms: 3 5% 1.5
Total 100% 76.1
For the last time

Last edited by NeverMore1701; 01-22-2008 at 00:58..
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 23:57   #40
James Markov

Got out the beer...had a few but too fuzzy to accurately respond-will reassess in the AM
James Markov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 00:12   #41
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

Quote:
Done and done. We now have 10 categories of BOB/GHB rating goodness!

Semi-Official BOB/GHB Rating System Calculator Version 2.1

My GHB score under the new system went from a 68.5 to a 66.5 so I don't think we've skewed anything to badly with the new categories. I need to rate my BOB too at some point, but am dreading pulling everything apart for inventorying. That suckers PHAT! (figuratively and literally)

Great work on the spreadsheet, it really helps! Also, as far as pulling BOB stuff out, I keep a compartmentalized inventory sheet on the computer, in the truck, and in the bag, as well as individual compartment inventories in the respective compartments.
Speaking of which, I need to get the damn C and AA batteries OUT of the GHB and put them in the truck bag. Heavy suckers, and I don't have anything that takes Cs or AAs in the GHB anymore.

Edit: Moving the unneeded batteries to the truck took 2lbs off my GHB weight! Woohoo!
For the last time

Last edited by NeverMore1701; 01-22-2008 at 00:56..
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 00:39   #42
JBlitzen
.22 Hater

Truck bag, rifle, and radio case:

(Hmm, redid it with the spreadsheet and the total changed mysteriously)

(Hmm 2, removed the rifle and radio case after reading an early post in this thread, even though the radio case seems to qualify as 10)

Shelter: 10 (2.5 man 4 season tent)
Hydro: 10 (Pumps and pills galore)
Food: 10 (Weeks of lifeboat rations + redundant snare wire, traps, and fishing kit)
Fire: 8 (No stove, just redundant starters and tinder)
Portable: 4
Navigation: 6 (Topo maps are an interesting idea)
Durable: 7 (Only 7 for REI? Wtf!)
Defense: 4 (Ever since my move, my pistols are in lockdown, larger and redundant knives are a good idea)
First Aid: 8 (I don't trust myself with the clotting agents, and wouldn't have a clue what to do with a scalpel or needle)
Comms: 9

Total: 81.8

Discussion thread:
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=777975

Last edited by JBlitzen; 01-26-2008 at 23:01.. Reason: Revised to include discussion/images thread link
JBlitzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 07:39   #43
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot

Sticky! Sticky! Sticky!

Old 01-22-2008, 10:06   #44
WilyCoyote

Don't forget, the higher you score, isn't the better the bag or the better the grade, just means you're an apple, not an orange. Trend seems that 50-70 people are more GHB types and 70-80 people are BOB types. High 80's fits a seriously equipped BOB and if your scoring in the middle to high 90's or 100 you're a cheater!

STICKY!!!!!!
Old 01-22-2008, 10:16   #45
WilyCoyote

By the By, I'm a 54 with the new fire scale factored in...interestingly, through the addition of three categories, my GHB stayed within a 2 point variance, which seems to show consistancy throughout the scale.

I'd be interested to see how altoid tin or Nalgene bottle, super-portable survival kits score
Old 01-22-2008, 15:54   #46
CCO
CLM Number 231
Wandering

Send a message via AIM to CCO
Great idea, and the spreadsheet makes it even better. Sure helps me to identify holes in my GHB. Mine is worked off a pair of nearly identical GHBs for the wife and I. I plan on bugging in if at all possible. I work 3 miles from home, but take a lot of trips also and have set up my ghb up for 3 days, 2 people.

Shelter: 8 (2 emergency bivys, 2 ponchos, spare socks, shoes)
Hydro: 10 (katydyn filter bottle, 4 bottles water, pills)
Food: 8 (6 cliff bars, 6 MREs, some jerky. Light for 3 days)
Fire: 6 (blast match, 4 bic lighters, 2 cannisters of dryer lint)
Portable: 5 (Kelty daypack with good padded waistbelt)
Navigation: 5 (TX/OK street maps)
Durable: 7 (Kelty backpack, mostly civvie stuff)
Defense: 4 (a large benchmade folder in one, a large crkt folder in the other)
First Aid: 5 (big hunter first aid kit in mine, smaller backpacker kit for her car)
Comms: 5 (portable am/fm radio)

Total: 69.5 points.
Old 01-22-2008, 16:44   #47
JBlitzen
.22 Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilyCoyote View Post
Don't forget, the higher you score, isn't the better the bag or the better the grade, just means you're an apple, not an orange. Trend seems that 50-70 people are more GHB types and 70-80 people are BOB types. High 80's fits a seriously equipped BOB and if your scoring in the middle to high 90's or 100 you're a cheater!
Yeah, a lot of my penalties are for things I choose. The topo maps are a good idea, but I still wouldn't put a GPS or surgical kit in there. Although I may have figured out a loophole through which I can add a rifle. Hmm.

CCO, I think you missed a few redundancies. For instance, two things of tinder and two separate things of good matches = 8, I believe, not 6.
JBlitzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 15:38   #48
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot

Sticky request submitted...

Last edited by Geko45; 01-23-2008 at 15:42..
Old 01-23-2008, 17:34   #49
Eddie C.
CLM Number A
Administrator

Quote:
Sticky request submitted...

Sticky request granted!
"Weapons are tools of power. In the hands of the state they can be the tools of decency or the tools of oppression, depending on the righteousness of that state. In the hands of criminals they are tools of evil. In the hands of free and decent citizens they are tools of liberty. An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
- Col. Jeff Cooper
Eddie C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 04:12   #50
WilyCoyote

tyvm!