Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-24-2007, 22:18   #1
BillR

new sailor!

My youngest son leaves for Great Lakes (Navy bootcamp) on Jan 22nd. He's a tall, lanky guy w/not alot of meat on his bones, so I know he's gonna freeze his ***** off.
What else does he need to watch for? Any advice? (for him OR his parents...)

Last edited by BillR; 12-24-2007 at 22:52..
BillR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 22:31   #2
Teapot

Finished Basic trng in Canada in June and it lasted 14 weeks. He needs to be able to do at least 19 push ups. Two tall guys in my platoon couldn't do them as their frame was so long.
Then there is the 19 hr work days and PT twice a day along with ruck sack marches and lots of verbal abuse and group punishment for the individuals failings that are a part of training that a lot of recruits find difficult to tolerate.

I am sure your son will do fine. It is only a matter of remembering that all one's buddies are going through the same thing. Knowing that really helps. That is where the bonding begins.
I wish him the best of luck in his endeavours.

Merry Christmas
Teapot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 10:41   #3
squidville_1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teapot View Post
Finished Basic trng in Canada in June and it lasted 14 weeks. He needs to be able to do at least 19 push ups. Two tall guys in my platoon couldn't do them as their frame was so long.
Then there is the 19 hr work days and PT twice a day along with ruck sack marches and lots of verbal abuse and group punishment for the individuals failings that are a part of training that a lot of recruits find difficult to tolerate.

I am sure your son will do fine. It is only a matter of remembering that all one's buddies are going through the same thing. Knowing that really helps. That is where the bonding begins.
I wish him the best of luck in his endeavours.

Merry Christmas
Canada has a Navy?
squidville_1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 10:45   #4
RM

What is going to do in the Navy? Either way tell him to listen to his LPOs and Chiefs, keep his mouth shut till he has enough on the job to know how to do it and have some humility. The military is about the team and not the person, sometimes taking one for the team is more important than being the center of attention. *

Common sense said if he is told something that sound way out to lunch than to ask about it.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimum food and water, in the worst of conditions, day or night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon. The True Believer doesn’t care how hard it is. He knows he either wins or he dies. He doesn’t go home at 1600. He knows only his CAUSE.
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 21:28   #5
Derrin33

+1 to keeping your mouth shut. I went through boot in '02 and have been out the Navy about a yr now. "Eyes open, mouth closed, head on a swivel."
Derrin33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 21:34   #6
BillR

He's signed up to be an Aircraft Mechanic-Hydralics.
I've told him SEVERAL times about keeping his mouth closed. He's not mouthy anyway, but he's NOT a "morning person". He hates getting up early, and I told him that's "part of the deal!"
Old 12-29-2007, 22:28   #7
robert7355

Bill:

Make sure he signed up for the GI Bill & College Fund. Also, when he gets to his permanent duty station he needs to find the satellite college campus on base. Most if not all bases have this. The Navy will give him tuition assistance to pay for school and it won't count against his GI Bill or College Fund $$$. There's no reason why he can't get a minimum of an Associate's during his 1st tour. Since he's going in to aviation field I would highly recommend Embry Riddle. They're a top-notch institution and have satellite campuses as well as online classes. They will also give credit for his Navy schools.
http://www.erau.edu/

Last edited by robert7355; 12-30-2007 at 00:31..
robert7355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 00:18   #8
behr70

Bill,

I think he will find recruit training challenging and rewarding. Instruction has come a long way in the last decade from the classroom through "Battle Stations", the final test. There are fitness standards and his recruiter should be running a pre-PT test prior to his departure for training. It is not that difficult. If he can perform 50 push ups, 50 sit ups, and run 1 1/2 miles in under 13 minutes he will do fine. He should of been given a "Delayed Entry Program" Booklet. This is for him to study and obtain naval knowledge on items such as rank, first aid, customs, abbreviations, and naval tradition. This will help him considerably in training and possibly help in accelerated advancement. As stated earlier when he arrives at recruit training he will be offered the Montgomery GI Bill. This is a one time offer. Do not turn it down. It amounts to 100.00 a month coming directly from his paycheck for 12 months. So 1200.00 total. This investment pays out just under 40,000 for college. It can be used anywhere from 2 years of service until 10 years after ones discharge. The navy also has tuition assistance, currently 100% up to 15 semester hours per year free. Here is a link for some more educational information including Embry-Riddle.

https://www.navycollege.navy.mil/rat...te.cfm?rate=AM

AM "A" Scool should be located in Pensacola, FL. A Beautiful place, I was stationed there for a number of years. He will be arriving just in time to constantly see the Blue Angels rehearsing for thier summer/fall shows.

Jay

Last edited by behr70; 01-03-2008 at 00:22..
behr70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 05:31   #9
Sturmgewehre

Tell your son we're all quite proud of him. Oh, and show him these pics. This is what it looks like up here right now. :D

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m...property_3.jpg
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m...property_2.jpg
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m...property_1.jpg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
: The best firearms and gear reviews on the nations best network, YouTube.
Sturmgewehre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 22:01   #10
ShootNMove
concealed

He'll pass the physical part no problem. If he can't, then he shouldn't serve anyway. I definitely agree that he should keep his mouth shut no matter how smart or capable he is. Tell him to just do his PQS and get warfare qualled ahead of his peers, that pretty much will guarantee you a good eval. What's he doing after boot camp?
Old 01-08-2008, 22:11   #11
ShootNMove
concealed

Okay, I see that he'll be an airdale, Pensacola is nice, I was just there last month. I would check out Arizona's benefits on college before electing for the GI Bill. I chose the GI bill but in my state, we have the Hazelwood act which gives you 150 credit hours tuition at a state school, BUT you have to use up your GI bill first. Career guys have little use for the GI Bill, had I elected a bonus, I could've invested it and been happier than with the GI Bill. If he plans on only doing his first enlistment and getting out, the gi bill can help.

One thing I would've done differently: Set up a Roth IRA before shipping out, and setting up an allotment to max it out every year. Retiring after 20 years on an enlisted salary is only possible if you have a good amount of money saved, another job, or you retire to a 3rd world country.

Also, prepare yourself for a lengthy deployments. He has a good chance of ending up on a carrier and they do the longest deployments in the Navy.
Old 01-15-2008, 23:03   #12
standerson

I've been retired from Uncle Sams Canoe Club for about 10 years.

1. You can learn more with your mouth shut than you can with it open.
2. Say "Yes and No Sir" to Officers NOT CHIEFS! He'll learn that the
hard way the first time he does it to a CPO.
3. Repeat 1.
4. If he's not a morning person, he soon will be.
5. Tell him to get all the college credits he can while he is on active duty.
6. Repeat 1.

Tell him to get an overseas billet if at all possible. Travel and have a good time.
Old 01-21-2008, 20:51   #13
bubllehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidville_1975 View Post
Canada has a Navy?
don't laugh. I went to a party with at least 2/3 of their Sub force in like 1990 and again in 92. Lots of Crown. love those guys.

If you can fill the unforgiving minute with 60 sec. worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more, you'll be a Man my son! - RK
bubllehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 21:33   #14
tampashooters
Shellback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrin33 View Post
+1 to keeping your mouth shut. I went through boot in '02 and have been out the Navy about a yr now. "Eyes open, mouth closed, head on a swivel."

+2

The only advice my Grandfather told me was to keep quiet, do what you are told, and don't stand out. Trust me, I saw the idiot's that didn't heed that advice! At the end of my boot camp (San Diego)... the company commanders were like.... uh, who are you? ....Bingo!

(Plankowner) & (Trusty Shellback...back before the wussies ruined it)

Tell him good luck, and express my gratitude for joining....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by tampashooters; 01-21-2008 at 21:37..
tampashooters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 21:39   #15
BillR

He just left for bootcamp a little while ago this afternoon.
I knew today was coming, but it's not any easier. The house is WAY too quiet.
Tomorrow for him will NOT be quiet, though.
I passed along all of the "keep your mouth shut" advice; his recruiter told him the same thing.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:59   #16
Glolt20-91

Well, good luck, this is not the time of year I would pick to be in No. Chicago. Lots of Great Lakes memories, I think our first paychecks were $28.50 for two weeks; later on, $55.00/mo combat pay didn't seem half bad.

How many weeks does basic last these days? Once he gets his time in, he'll do fine and learn a little street savvy along the way.

I never made it to the fleet and wore fatigues most of my enlistment, so much for seeing the world.

Bob

"Speed is fine, but accuracy is final - Bill Jordan
Glolt20-91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 08:45   #17
BillR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glolt20-91 View Post
Well, good luck, this is not the time of year I would pick to be in No. Chicago. Lots of Great Lakes memories, I think our first paychecks were $28.50 for two weeks; later on, $55.00/mo combat pay didn't seem half bad.

How many weeks does basic last these days? Once he gets his time in, he'll do fine and learn a little street savvy along the way.

I never made it to the fleet and wore fatigues most of my enlistment, so much for seeing the world.

Bob
Basic is 8 weeks; after that he'll be in Pensecola for 5-6 weeks for his "A" school.
Old 01-30-2008, 14:21   #18
VAshooter
CLM Number 146
Charter Lifetime Member

Rule #1 Always be on time.

Rule #2 Always be respectful to anyone senior.

Thats it.

Doug in Virginia
VAshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 20:59   #19
Guitar Guy
" Rock On "

As a retired Master Chief (HMCM) here are a few things to tell him.

1. You will learn more with your ears and eyes open and your mouth shut.
2. Pay attention to detail.
3. "NEVER" say sir to a "CHIEF" This would happen only once.
4. Do the best you can. Never do enough just to get buy.
5. When he gets out of "A" school get advice and learn from the guys who have been on the job for awhile. Graduating "A" school does not mean you know it all or what your doing.
6. Have HONOR and INTEGRITY be a man of your word and be the best you can. Always strive to be better.
7. Enjoy your hitch.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:01   #20
BillR

We just got the first "note" from him and the RTC center telling us his address and such. He wrote a note at the bottom:
''...it's not bad: not fun, but not bad."
Sounds like he's OK so far...