Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-17-2008, 21:55   #41
Bert.40

Was that shop in the Ozarks? Did you hear Dueling Banjos in the background; or a pig squealing?

Stay away from that store!!

Trust No One
Old 02-17-2008, 22:00   #42
bbeach
Kstateskier

Nixa... no dueling banjos just aholes...
Old 02-17-2008, 22:06   #43
jonusmcg

Bad customer service

Personally, I hate dealing with 90% of the gun shops. The guys that work there are stuck up and think that they are better than you and know everything. little do they know that I have 8 years in the Marine Corps and MUCH shooting experience, probably MORE than them! Like when they tell me that Glocks are crap, and I ask them "oh yeah? and thats based off of what knowledge that you have of what tactical response situations?" Oh thats right, YOU'RE A FR**CKIN' CIVILIAN! Don't worry about those guys. They think they can talk down to everyone because they are allowed to carry guns in the store. My advice, pay no mind to the idiots behind the counter.
jonusmcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 22:36   #44
Jeff82
CLM Number 237
NRA Benefactor

Couple quick bad stories:

Jims' Pawn & Gun in Fayet-nam: Had absolutely horrible help behind the counter in the '80's and when I tried them again in the '90's. They were running mouth know-it-all's and you'd be lucky to even get a word out. Before you could finish a question they'd tell you what you really needed or wanted. Haven't been back since.

Went into a well-known gun shop just the other day here in Tidewater, VA. The sales dude immediately started bad mouthing the gun and manufacturer I asked about but without anything to back it up. After handling the gun I left. Went to the gun show Saturday (in the same town) and bought that gun from a dealer who was interested in selling one. At a significantly lower price I might add!

Good story: Want to deal with someone who is great? Ed's Gun Shop in Vass NC. I've known him since I drove a Pepsi truck (early 1990's) when his store was still in Southern Pines. He's always been one to listen to you then help you out. Good prices too.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." B. Franklin, 1787, outside Independence Hall

There's not "good" or "bad" muslims, only those true to their book and those that aren't, yet...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Jeff82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 22:36   #45
Solesurvivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Cox View Post
Which shop were you at if you don't mind me asking?
Shooter's Vault on Greenway. I've always heard good things about them, but I've not had a great experience with them. Won't be coming back to them.
Solesurvivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 01:00   #46
blownhemi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbeach View Post
hey blownhemi

My buddys wife's shop isn't open on Saturdays and he didn't have any Walther stuff. I wasn't in the gun shop to buy a Walther - as I had just bought a P22 Friday evening. I was merely looking for extra magazines but knew from the phone call that Steve didn't have them in stock. Really we just wanted to check out his store and see what he had since it was close to our homes and we could shop there when we needed things - ammo -etc.

Yes I work for a large outdoor retailer (Well I work for their corporate office) but in this particular case they were overpriced on the P22 and they didn't have any accessories or extra magazines either.

Hope that explains my situation better.

And AaronKelly there's really no way Steve could have known my neighbor or put him together with his wife from the competing gun store. And even if he did we weren't in there being threatening. I was honestly in there seeing what he had for future purchases.

This evening I spoke with a coworker who's lived in the Springfield area all his life and he knew Steve right off the bat and has also had similar dealings with him and his rudeness.

Fair enough - sounds likes the guy is a real ******. It just sounded strage to be shopping elsewhere.
blownhemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 01:01   #47
AWDTerror
Ass Penny

This is nothing new, steve has always been like this.

He is a genius who know's it with a ego bigger than his shop, I haven't gone in there in years due to the fact that he never changes his stock, and his attitude, but i always stop by DG's gunsmithing next door.

Sheepdog
Semper Vigilo
Semper Paratus
AWDTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 01:29   #48
H&K .45 AUTO
10-42

I dunno if they are still there... But, last time I was in Springfield (around 2005?) I went in a shop near BassPro called "Gunslinger's"... Good folks, decent prices, I'd go back.

Also, if ya' come to Kansas City there are lots of good folks to deal with. My favorite is Denny's Guns in North Kansas City. I also like going to Bob's Gun Rack on 3rd Street in Lee's Summit MO. Good folks at both shops who actually care about what their customers think and treat you accordingly. Also... American Firearms in Grandview on Blue Ridge Blvd. is another good one.

I'm an LEO in the KC metro area and have many friends at the Olathe Police Dept. How long ago did your dad retire? ... Or, is he still with them?

At any rate... I wouldn't go back to that shop either.
Old 02-18-2008, 01:58   #49
James Cox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solesurvivor View Post
Shooter's Vault on Greenway. I've always heard good things about them, but I've not had a great experience with them. Won't be coming back to them.
That's interesting, I started working there about a month ago. Do you remember the guys' name? I'm not the typical gunstore guy, I'm a southern guy. Swing back by some time and chat with me, I can promise you I won't try to pull a umteenthousand percent upsell or ignore you altogether. Money says it was Joe...
Old 02-18-2008, 02:01   #50
4095fanatic

Most people I know who went there say it was Steve. To quote:

This person got Steved.

I visited Steve's Guns (now EDI) once, years ago when he was still in Springfield. I immediately vowed I would never return, and I never have.

And I never will. If someone wants to pay me $300 to walk into that shop and spend a few minutes there, I'll do it. But for any amount less, you can have it.

How Steve stays in business, I have no idea. Nor do I care. Obviously he makes enough of a living for his tastes. He obviously doesn't want my business. Which is fine by me, because he'll never get it.

--------------------------------------------------------
We all know the "Soup Nazi" from Seinfeld... Well, Steve is usually called (behind his back) the "Gun Nazi"
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is nothing new, steve has always been like this.

He is a genius who know's it with a ego bigger than his shop, I haven't gone in there in years due to the fact that he never changes his stock, and his attitude, but i always stop by DG's gunsmithing next door.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want anything firearms-related in Springfield, go by 417 Guns. In my (admittedly brief) experience, 417 Guns is run by real and decent human beings, and they'll treat you right.
4095fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 02:47   #51
linh811

I've never bought from a gunshop Most purchases are from private citizens, otherwise ordered and shipped to my FFL.
linh811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 05:19   #52
Travelin' Jack
Misinformed

Quote:
Originally Posted by H&K .45 AUTO View Post
I dunno if they are still there... But, last time I was in Springfield (around 2005?) I went in a shop near BassPro called "Gunslinger's"... Good folks, decent prices, I'd go back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4095fanatic View Post
If you want anything firearms-related in Springfield, go by 417 Guns. In my (admittedly brief) experience, 417 Guns is run by real and decent human beings, and they'll treat you right.
These are the only two shops in Springfield I go to anymore. I've spent plenty of money in both and highly recommend them.
Travelin' Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 06:40   #53
bbeach
Kstateskier

Hey H&K Auto .45

My Dad has been retired lets see 6-7 years now. He was a Sargent... If your friends know him his last name is Beach.

Be safe in KC Metro and thank you for your service!
Old 02-18-2008, 08:45   #54
Radjxf

I actually bought an HK USP from this a**hole a few years back. At the time, he was the only guy that had any in stock for 150 miles. Got a small taste of his rudeness on the phone. Got to his shop after a 3 hr drive, just about had to snap my fingers in front of his face to get him to acknowledge my presence. He was busy with a bunch of inbred cronies at the time
I spoke clearly and concisely with patience. Said "yes sir and no sir". He still treated me like some annoyance. Guess he kinda dented my ego as I clearly could have his behind for breakfast if necessary
Why are 75+% of gunshop owners such you-know-whats?
Avoid this tool.
Check out 417 guns, Bass Pro, heck anywhere but EDI/Steves!!
Radjxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 08:51   #55
bassdeer
Jesus Saves

shop owners

I would of droped the brochures on the floor.
bassdeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 09:44   #56
Blitzer
Cool Cat

Send a message via AIM to Blitzer Send a message via Yahoo to Blitzer
Quote:
Originally Posted by hank2 View Post
we all meet someone like that in the gunstore with the people that work there
mine was with a friend that is a phx police officer when we were looking at glock pistol for his girlfriend to carry for her ccw course that she was going to take
the guy behind the counter kept asking us if we need help and we told in a minute we would like to see the m-19-pistol that was in the case we were talking about if the pistol would be the right size for her
the guy came up and ask us where we going to shop or just look around and not buy anything
when saw the badge on the my friend belt i got real helpfull qiuckly and said that they had a lot of just lookers that day instead poeple that wanted to by
we turned around and walk out of the store with out saying a word
he took me to a another gunshop in the area and it was night and day diffence the guy said hi when we came in and said if need anything just yell and he would be there in a minute also said there coffee on the table to help oursleves to it if we wanted any
we talk to the guy behind the counter and we told him what we wanted and he said that was good idea and and give my friend a great deal with pistol and four mags and 200.rds of ammo for certian amount of cash when he found out my friend was a phx officer gave anthor discount on the ammo with throwing in another 100.rds of ammo for personal defense
i say that my friend has a better idea where to get the best serivce around
the gunshop is off the west 27th ave in glendale az iam not sure right where it is my friend was driveing that day when we were out and about have a guys days out when our girlfriends where doing the shoping trip deal
i have to say that there is gunshops and there gunshops that know how to take care of poeple
plus i will not go the shooter world anymore after the way that they treat a friend of mine
i left az in 2004 to take a job with my company in another state
i go back home every now then for the sar show and my friend and his wife now show me the diff in places where we used to go shoot and hunt in the area have grow over with houses

Capitalzation and puctuation would help if you really want us to read your posts.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:54   #57
bbeach
Kstateskier

This is becoming humorous the sheer number of people that I've talked to since Saturday about this "incident" and how many of them have said something to the effect of either "Yeah I know Steve and he's a pr*ck of colossal proportions" or "I've had a similiar experience at that place."

At any rate its nice to hear there are better places in the SW Missouri area!

It's too bad we can't calculate the profits lost for EDI due to his attitude and treatment of customers...
Old 02-18-2008, 10:04   #58
Deadduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassdeer View Post
I would of droped the brochures on the floor.
Exactly what I was thinking.

I've had a few rude experiences over the years, and not just at gun shops. The most recent one was at a ATV/Motorcycle dealership when I went to the parts counter to get an oil filter for my 4-wheeler. The parts guy was busy BS'ing with a friend of his, and even though he saw me standing at the counter, never said hi, asked what I needed or anything. I finally had to interupt their conversation to tell him what I needed. He made some sarcastic remark, got me the filter, told me how much, but never really stopped his converstation with his friend. Never said thanks, go to hell, or really even made eye contact with me. If I wouldn't have really needed the filter and not wanted to drive 20 miles to the next dealership, I'd have left it sitting on the counter.

A few years ago I went into a gun shop with the full intention of buying a Ruger Blackhawk .44 magnum revolver. I was probably 29-30 at the time. The guys behind the counter were busy talking to one another, and a "customer" who wasn't looking at guns, just talking. When I asked to look at the revolver, one of them told me to wait a minute. He finally waddled over and asked, "what do you want?" in a very unfriendly tone. I told them I wanted to look at a Blackhawk. He pulled it out and handed it to me, then proceeded to ask what I wanted with something like that. I replied paper punching and possibly hunting. He then took the pistol from me with the guise of showing me something and asked to see my ID. I asked him what for, and he said he wanted to see if I was 21. I showed him my DL, just to prove I was way over 21, then walked out, telling him I wouldn't buy from him if he gave me the gun. Life's too long to have to deal with ***holes all the time.

Last edited by Deadduck; 02-18-2008 at 10:32..
Deadduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 10:35   #59
who_dat
NRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzer View Post
Capitalzation and puctuation would help if you really want us to read your posts.
...or at least a period so we'd know where to stop!
SKS Club #94 Kahr Club #94, Kalishnikov Club #94
who_dat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 10:39   #60
QNman
resU deretsigeR

That sucks, bbeach. I have had similar experience in a certain motorcycle shop in Washington, MO. I drive the other way now for parts, filters, etc. and have even made a special trip to Columbia to avoid these a-holes. (Hey, the motorcycle is meant to RIDE, right?)

Anyway, good to know. I get that way once in a while and have a "bad" habit of stopping in little gun shops when I'm traveling, especially in Missouri. And, yes, sometimes I walk out with a new toy!
QNman is offline   Reply With Quote