SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-03-2008, 22:33   #1
Turtle13
Ni!

No classified ads.

I saw the rule stickied...I also saw the thread that was 2 years old.

Boy Eddie, you sure laid down the law on a thread that was totally tame and on the level. Great job.

If you don't want classified threads in the state forums then give us something localized. There's not a single thing wrong with a state classified thread in that states forum, it would just get buried elsewhere. You shut down a friendly successful thread. I'm not impressed with your moderating thus far.
Old 02-03-2008, 22:47   #2
Hailstorm
Boom Shacka

Ed didn't make the rule, its just his job to enforce it. He probly was tipped off about it by someone. You know, there is always a busy body who will back stab you to get ahead. (Because we all know in fighting gets us everywhere) Of course it could have been Ed just checking out the area as well.

I guess now its back to trying to search the for sale forums and wasting butt loads of time sorting. Because you really can't search by state to easy. I wonder how many things ment to sell locally will never be sold because the locals can't find it. Its a serious question. Not just complaining.

One thing we have to remember. This is a private forum. With rules made by the owner. I am sure Eric was trying his best to make fare rules. I wonder if we can approach him to make it acceptable for a sale section in the state area.

Last edited by Hailstorm; 02-03-2008 at 22:50..
Hailstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 04:27   #3
Eddie C.
CLM Number A
Administrator

Hi folks. You have to understand, Eric and I went through every forum last year and got rid of hundreds if not more 'For Sale' Ads in the State Forums, General Non-Glocking, Non-Glock Firearms, and General Glocking. There were even 'For Sale' ads in the Reloading forum, Survival forum, Carry Issues, and just about every other Sub forum we have. Hence the rule that was added in the TOS. It took Eric and I over three months to clean up the site with those ads.

We need to keep a handle on these ads to protect the good folks from the unscrupulous ones. If we let the Ad go in your forum and other State forums hear about it, we'll be back to square one.

If everyone put their State abbreviation in the title of their Ad in the 'Want Ads' area, it would make it much easier to scan the Ads for a local sale.

I had to relieve a Moderator of his duties last year because he thought the rules didn't apply to him as he was a Mod ands tried to run a 'For Sale' ad in his State forum. The rules apply to EVERYONE, even Moderators ands Administrators.

The only reason your Michigan 'For Sale' thread lasted so long is because no one reported it until the other day. Again, I apologize but the rules must blanket ALL of Glock Talk.

Sincerely,
Eddie C.
"Weapons are tools of power. In the hands of the state they can be the tools of decency or the tools of oppression, depending on the righteousness of that state. In the hands of criminals they are tools of evil. In the hands of free and decent citizens they are tools of liberty. An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
- Col. Jeff Cooper
Eddie C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 13:22   #4
10 Ring Tao
Red White Blue

That wasn't any normal spammish for sale ad, it was a megathread, and doing very well at keeping the MI section free of singular ads. There were a small handful of people who posted ads, who were quickly asked to put it in the megathread.

Enforcing this 'no local ads' rule without something to take its place, brings sentiment similar to when we discuss various zero tolerance policies of schools. Capricious and lacking discretion.

All of your stated concerns were taken care of by that megathread, as addressed by the disclaimer:

Quote:
Heres the deal. While the classified section here is quite good, finding a local deal in the GT classifieds is difficult, without reading through each post individually or getting inconsistent and hit & miss results with searching.

The state oriented classified feature isn't up yet, so until then, if you want a face to face deal or are looking to buy something specific and local, post here in this thread. Otherwise, if you're willing to ship, post in the classified section.

This way, we can all find local deals easier, the classified section is still being used, and the Michigan forum won't get clogged up with ads.
Frankly, I never understood why there couldn't be a classified ad sub-section to the state sections, similar to the 'Glock-Related Valuable Info Threads' that is a sub-section of General Glocking.

I tried suggesting that option before starting the megathread, because I run a couple forums myself, and its not difficult to add a sub-section using newer forum software packages (GT is using the latest release of vB- 3.6.8). I never understood why there couldn't be a sub-section, because my suggestions for one were always summarily dismissed without an explanation.

Put quite simply, I tried going to the management, and without a viable solution, we made our own.

Oh, and searching for the abbreviation for a state garners nothing but this:

Quote:
Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search : mi
Quote:
Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search : mi, va, al, mt, nm, az, ca, il, oh

Visit to help!!-->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
10 Ring Tao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 13:39   #5
Glock 19 God
Banned

Edited for content.

Last edited by Glock 19 God; 04-07-2008 at 21:00..
Glock 19 God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 15:35   #6
Turtle13
Ni!

Quote:
Enforcing this 'no local ads' rule without something to take its place, brings sentiment similar to when we discuss various zero tolerance policies of schools. Capricious and lacking discretion.
Thats puts into words exactly what I was feeling.
Old 02-04-2008, 18:46   #7
centennial

MGO has a pretty active local classified section.
Might be a good alternative.
centennial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 21:58   #8
ZYALTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by centennial View Post
MGO has a pretty active local classified section.
Might be a good alternative.
Might be a great alternative, as it will definetely get more MI members aquainted, and then keep traffic down here. Hell, i have never had a hard time selling or buying at MGO.
ZYALTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 03:04   #9
Turtle13
Ni!

Sorry to be uninformed. What does MGO stand for?
Old 02-05-2008, 06:33   #10
centennial

Michigan Gun Owners

http://www.migunowners.org/
centennial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 15:38   #11
bigjim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle13 View Post
Thats puts into words exactly what I was feeling.

+1 here too

Look, your site your rules, fine. And Eddie, you are a stand up guy and I know you're just doing your job, but the classified section is just about impossible to use for casual browsing. I find it painful to use and I don't use it.

I hope at least allowing one megathread like we had until today will be reconsidered at some point, or the classifieds will be made into some format that is not a complete cluster.
Old 02-05-2008, 17:00   #12
Eddie C.
CLM Number A
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim View Post
+1 here too

Look, your site your rules, fine. And Eddie, you are a stand up guy and I know you're just doing your job, but the classified section is just about impossible to use for casual browsing. I find it painful to use and I don't use it.

I hope at least allowing one megathread like we had until today will be reconsidered at some point, or the classifieds will be made into some format that is not a complete cluster.

Thanks. I want everyone to know that I am only enforcing the rules and TOS. As this site is growing, and with the new equipment, Eric wants to keep all the Ads in one area.

The reason for this is twofold.......one he wants to be able to monitor sellers and buyers, for everyone's protection. Secondly, he wants to institute a feedback system, similar to what you see on the big boards, like eBay and GunBroker.

This way you can have a better idea of who has a history of trust and who is questionable.

Eddie
"Weapons are tools of power. In the hands of the state they can be the tools of decency or the tools of oppression, depending on the righteousness of that state. In the hands of criminals they are tools of evil. In the hands of free and decent citizens they are tools of liberty. An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
- Col. Jeff Cooper
Old 02-07-2008, 08:45   #13
Turtle13
Ni!

Quote:
The reason for this is twofold.......one he wants to be able to monitor sellers and buyers, for everyone's protection. Secondly, he wants to institute a feedback system, similar to what you see on the big boards, like eBay and GunBroker.
..and there's no way to link this to the profile so its site wide?

Quote:
This way you can have a better idea of who has a history of trust and who is questionable.
No offense, but this is pretty easy to do by ourselves at a local level.
Old 02-07-2008, 13:37   #14
Eddie C.
CLM Number A
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle13 View Post
..and there's no way to link this to the profile so its site wide?

No offense, but this is pretty easy to do by ourselves at a local level.
If you don't like this rule, or want it changed, you'll have to take it up with Eric. It's his board and his rules. I am only enforcing them. He wants ALL ADS in the WANT ADS area.

Thanks,
Eddie
- Col. Jeff Cooper
Old 03-03-2008, 08:33   #15
sandwichking2

Just move over to MGO. keep it easy, functional and local. I hardly check this site out anymore.
sandwichking2 is offline   Reply With Quote