Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-15-2009, 10:06   #1
twoblackbelts
NASA reject

sHOULD MARTIAL ARTS TRAINING BE MANDATORY FOR COPS

Question mark would not fit.

I've always thought it should. My eldest brotherr has 3 blackbelts, and he's never shot anyone or hurt them during an arrest because of his schooling. (He's a deputy).

I vote yes.
twoblackbelts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 11:15   #2
Ralff

They don't already? I thought the academy would teach them some basics ...

I could definitely see the advantages that Judo or BJJ would offer though. If not manditory, I think the department should pay for lessons if they wanted to learn.
Ralff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 02:25   #3
twoblackbelts
NASA reject

I don't think they use Tasers in Aikido dojos, no.

I taught a lot of cops in FL, but no other State's LEOs have ever showed any interest.
twoblackbelts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 06:28   #4
dugo

MA for police?

Training involved quite a few police and military personnel over a pretty good period of time; aikido, karate, some grappling arts, etc. Worst comment I ever heard from one was that what they were doing was not always directly applicable to police scuffles. (The guy who said that was practicing an effective branch of shotokan, and I took it to mean it did not have enough grappling or control techniques to be useful in many control situations. He was dedicated to it, though.)

Best I heard was an aikido practitioner who had originally asked whether karate would be better, because it was easier for him (big muscular guy, used to hitting). He continued in aikido, though, and a couple of years later, he took a gun away from someone in the act of pulling it, controlled the subject without hurting him (much), and prevented shots being fired on himself and several other police. Probably would otherwise have been very bad situation for police and BG's both.

In telling me about it later, he said the best part was that he was calm and pretty relaxed through the whole thing... no under-reaction, no over-reaction. Kept other people cool, too, from what I hear.

Disclaimer: much aikido, in the US at least, has been accurately described as "some idealistic dance". Some, however, is very effective after sufficient practice, and still maintains ideals and technical subtlety. Sometimes gotta look hard to tell the difference. With that caveat, I'd vote yes.

Last edited by dugo; 05-27-2009 at 06:32.. Reason: add
dugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 08:09   #5
deadday

If by martial arts you mean something like Krav Maga or something similar to the Army/USMC combatives program, then yes.
There's one less tornado in Texas, a saddle is empty tonight...There's one hell of a cowboy in heaven, at the big rodeo in the sky. RIP LCpl Blake Wafford, Spc. Devon Gibbons, PFC Dean Bright, SSg Brian Craig. In the field we had a code of honor: you watch my back, I watch yours. Back here there's NOTHING.
deadday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 23:47   #6
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

I guess his bro never faced a firearm or edged weapon.

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

"A person who won't reason has no advantage over one who can't reason."

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”

Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn:
Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 00:26   #7
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

Gun Foo, bishes. And cAPS LOCK. ****in' deadly.
I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, s**t-kickers, Methodists, and the GTDS.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Angry Fist; 08-04-2014 at 00:27..
Angry Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:59   #8
Green_Manelishi
Knicker Knotter

Like many other skills, MA requires practice to be even minimally proficient. It's questionable whether or not most LEO will spend the necessary time to excel at even one technique, to say nothing of a full tool box.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Green_Manelishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 12:49   #9
Deputydave

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoblackbelts View Post
Question mark would not fit.

I've always thought it should. My eldest brotherr has 3 blackbelts, and he's never shot anyone or hurt them during an arrest because of his schooling. (He's a deputy).

I vote yes.
Here is the long and short of it; most martial arts, as taught in a modern setting are based on sport methodology. It is not beneficial to learn for the types of altercations a LEO or Corrections Officer is going to get into. In fact, it sport methodology training is detrimental.

Self-defense training methodology

Secondly, more often than not, academy training is a Defensive Tactics skill set that is fairly watered down. I say this as an Academy instructor. It is designed for the least capable rather than pushing the recruit for excellence in this area. Too be blunt and totally politically incorrect, some folks, regardless of best intentions, are not suited physically (or mentally or emotionally) to be a LEO or Corrections Officer.

Thirdly, it all boils down to $. We need to keep LEO on the road and CO's on duty in the jail and prison. When their at training they aren't 'on the job'. So rather than more training, they get by with what they can get by. Personally, rather than qualifying with say 120 rounds once a year, as an example, it would be far better to qualify with 10 rounds once a month. Rather than getting maybe 4 hours of D.T. once a year, it would be better to get 1 hour once a month.

To be fair though, some systems don't require a lot of training or refresher training. Systems such as SPEAR or Boatman Edged Weapon Defense statistically don't require a lot of training and more importantly, because they're based on gross motor flinch response, are retained in long term memory.

Now as a caveat, I would like to see far more martial arts trained as far as throws and locks. That is what an Officer (Deputy, Trooper etc) needs in addition to punches. Unfortunately, LEO's and CO's are people in the sense that some are lazy, some are out of shape, some aren't motivated etc. Only a small number train with a firearm and/or H2H on their own time. And I applaud those that do.

Not only do I train in martial arts, I teach so I can speak on this with a level of authority.

But bottom line is this and I'm VERY vocal on this point; far better for them to train in the limited D.T. they get in the academy on a regular basis than to get into a sport martial art. TKD and MMA and BJJ and the like are great martial arts when confined to the competitive venue. They can get you killed on the street unless you're really lucky.

I don't rely on luck.

Additional links if interested:

Carl Cestari: Chin Jab and The O'Neill Cover and other covers

Lee Morris - Urban Combatives

Blauer - Flinch & 1st two secs of a fight

Deputydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 19:04   #10
Green_Manelishi
Knicker Knotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deputydave View Post
Here is the long and short of it; most martial arts, as taught in a modern setting are based on sport methodology. It is not beneficial to learn for the types of altercations a LEO or Corrections Officer is going to get into. In fact, it sport methodology training is detrimental.

Too be blunt and totally politically incorrect, some folks, regardless of best intentions, are not suited physically (or mentally or emotionally) to be a LEO or Corrections Officer.

Now as a caveat, I would like to see far more martial arts trained as far as throws and locks. That is what an Officer (Deputy, Trooper etc) needs in addition to punches. Unfortunately, LEO's and CO's are people in the sense that some are lazy, some are out of shape, some aren't motivated etc. Only a small number train with a firearm and/or H2H on their own time. And I applaud those that do.

far better for them to train in the limited D.T. they get in the academy on a regular basis than to get into a sport martial art. TKD and MMA and BJJ and the like are great martial arts when confined to the competitive venue. They can get you killed on the street unless you're really lucky.

An excellent post.

Years ago I heard a saying that went something like this : if you are tussling with a subject and not actively applying the cuffs, you are losing.

Green_Manelishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 08:03   #11
Deputydave

Thank you.

Deputydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 08:12   #12
WT

FYI
Here is a link to a short video of a solo LAPD motor officer wrestling with an unfriendly citizen.

http://ktla.com/2014/08/05/caught-on...with-motorist/

The officer suffered a dislocated shoulder when they fell to the ground. Also some rib injuries. Regardless, HE DID NOT GIVE UP!

Prior to the start of the video the unfriendly citizen had a head lock on the motor officer. I think the full face helmet was actually a detriment.

Last edited by WT; 08-09-2014 at 08:13..
WT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 18:31   #13
sns3guppy

One really needs to differentiate between control techniques and martial arts, because they're not the same thing. One may use a joint lock with a wrist or elbow in aikido or juijitsu, or one may use just that technique in control of a suspect. Having learned that technique while applying handcuffs or while securing someone is not at all the same as learning a martial art.

To properly learn a martial art takes years; decades in some cases. It's not something one learns and moves on; it's a lifetime endeavor.

Learning an arm bar or a trap, stomping a knee, a throw...those are basic techniques that do not equate to learning a martial art. Simply learning the proper timing of a single-time engagement at an advanced level can take a decade or more, even for a serious practitioner. Teaching a new recruit a simple raw technique is not the same.

Should law enforcement officers learn martial arts? If they wish, sure. I trained for nearly fifteen years in one location where the majority of those attending were in law enforcement in various capacities, including a number of special weapons and tactics officers. The highest ranking exponent there was a dog handler and SWAT officer. He would have been the first to tell you that a great many years are required to properly learn and absorb any given martial art.

One should bear in mind that much of what passes for martial arts out there is commercial garbage. I've been into perhaps a hand full of places (studios, dojos, halls, whatever) where a "martial art" was professed to be taught, that offered, in which I felt the place had any merit at all. Very, very few. Some are self-festivals for the testosterone-laden, while others are spinning and flipping and yelling in silk robes, the fancier the better. Many give out all kinds of colored belts to make attendees feel better about themselves. I've never seen a training facility that sported trophies that was worth it's weight in wet salt. There's a lot of junk training out there.

There's also some very to-the-point training which isn't a martial art, but consists of effective, easy to learn techniques for specific applications; this is largely what's taught in control techniques and basic unarmed practices in the military, and in law enforcement settings. Just as most police offers don't turn into firearms experts, there isn't necessarily a need for them to spend decades becoming a martial arts expert, either. If they want to pursue either one (or both), by all means, do so, but it isn't necessary, and it takes a lot more effort and time than one generally might think.
sns3guppy is offline   Reply With Quote

« Martial Warrior | - »