Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-06-2013, 09:02   #1
FullClip
CLM Number 171
NRA Benefactor

Waterglass??

After hearing from my mother when she was a kid, they used to preserve eggs in "waterglass" I did a Google about the stuff. Seems like it's a handy thing to have around.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_silicate

Has anybody tried it, or have it in their stash? I like the idea of the gun safe protection..and may try a few batches of saw dust/waterglass mix to see how it works, and then modify one of my cheaper gun safes with a load of it.
Old 04-06-2013, 16:47   #2
-aK-

That is very interesting, I've never heard of this before.
"It is a precedent fraught with danger for the country, for when Congress once begins to stretch its power beyond the limits of the Constitution, there is no limit to it and no security for the people...the Constitution, to be worth anything, must be held sacred and rigidly observed in all its provisions."--Colonel David Crockett -- A.K.A. Davy Crockett -- -- Member of the U.S. Congress 1827-31 & 1832-35 --
-aK- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 18:34   #3
quake

I only knew of it as a means of preserving fresh eggs; that's an old country thing from at least back to the 1800's, maybe before that.

Didn't know its other applications though; especially the crack-sealer/cement aspect as well as being a potential source of home-made silica gel. Thanks for the article.

"Only problem with women my own age, is they're so damn old." - my dad at 89...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
quake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 14:03   #4
dukeblue91

I did not know about that many applications.
I have a question about the egg preserve of this.
I was under the impression that eggs have a natural barrier, meaning once laid and not cleaned off it would last for several month in that state?
Does anyone know some more about this?
dukeblue91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 14:54   #5
nursetim

Eggs have microscopic pores, these get bigger as the eggs age. This helps the chicks peck their way out of the shell. In an unfertilized egg the pores get bigger and bigger until failure. The sodium silicate seals these pores. I have heard of them lasting as long as a year. They are not as tasty as fresh, or so I have heard.
nursetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 20:41   #6
SFCSMITH(RET)

If working with fresh from your chicken eggs.. don't wash them. They will last for months. They are not as "good", but still fine. And in fact, for hard cooking, older is better
SFCSMITH(RET) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 20:54   #7
CranialCrusader

Be aware that sodium silicate is quite basic (corrosive) in solution, if you get it on your skin wash it off as soon as possible. Certainly avoid contact with eyes.

If dried properly on its own it will form a glass-like material that is brittle and will not burn. The dried material will not easily re-dissolve.

To make silica gel:

A controlled reaction between sodium silicate and a strong acid will form a silicic acid solution, which will eventually "gel". The gel will need to be dried, ground, and washed with hot water to purify.

Since SiO2 is rather hydrophilic, if dried in an oven at high temperature, it will have the ability to adsorb quite a bit of water due to very high surface area. Which is why it's used as a desiccant.

You're better off buying silica gel from a company than making it yourself though. They know how to make it with extremely high surface area!

CranialCrusader
Old 04-10-2013, 04:52   #8
edcrosbys

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukeblue91 View Post
I was under the impression that eggs have a natural barrier, meaning once laid and not cleaned off it would last for several month in that state?
Does anyone know some more about this?
Have you ever seen the inner membrane when you peeled a hard boiled egg? The one right under the shell... There is another one on the outside of the shell, when the chicken lays it. In the US, commercial eggs are washed and that layer is removed - then the egg is refrigerated. Many countries don't refrigerate eggs and in some removal of that membrane is illegal for the seller.

Also, if you are in a cool climate. Coating eggs in mineral oil is enough to get them to last 2-3 months.

Oh, and just get some chickens and you don't need to worry about storing eggs long-term!
edcrosbys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 19:33   #9
DaneA

I have heard of old timers using it as a radiator/engine block sealer.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
DaneA is offline   Reply With Quote