GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-08-2012, 21:31   #21
x_out86

From the information given, this guy is getting the shaft in a shady situation.

There does not appear to be any violation of any laws, and I think we can all be pretty damn sure that he is not violating policy. I know my department does not have a policy on off duty attire. The only thing that I can think of is they are going to say he violated policy on conduct that would be unbecoming of an officer. Even if he was "warned" once before, I dont think they would really have much ground to stand on. Officer is off duty, and not violating any laws.

I wouldnt mow my lawn in them, but truth be told I have shorts that I wear for running and working out that are not much longer than those boxer briefs. Granted they are not that tight, but still. As a general rule of thumb, as long as all the important parts are covered, I dont think the department can judge your fashion choices. If they can, I can think of a bunch of guys who need to get a talking to about wearing shorts and combat boots in the summer....
I long to accomplish a great and noble tasks, but it is my chief duty to accomplish humble tasks as though they were great and noble. The world is moved along, not only by the mighty shoves of its heroes, but also by the aggregate of the tiny pushes of each honest worker.

Last edited by x_out86; 04-08-2012 at 21:32..
x_out86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 23:05   #22
collim1
Shower Time!

So I can wear a bathing suit at the pool exposing the same area/percentage of my body, but its obscene if I am cutting the grass.

Its a weird thing to do, not real sure why he would do it, but I think firing him was out of line.
collim1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:46   #23
Glocker1984

wow.

"Death is certain. Life is not"
"Give me Steel or Give me Death"
Glocker1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:01   #24
Javelin
Silver Membership
Got Glock?

I can't tell, was he wearing his hat?
Disclaimer: This writer is not a lawyer. This product is meant for entertainment and fan or political fiction purposes only and writer accepts no liability. All material should be considered as infotainment only. Writer does not own any characters, topics or subject matter in this story. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is for entertainment only. If rash, irritation, redness, or swelling develops, discontinue reading immediately and consult your physician.
Javelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:25   #25
msu_grad_121
BOOSH

Quote:
Originally Posted by x_out86 View Post
As a general rule of thumb, as long as all the important parts are covered, I dont think the department can judge your fashion choices. If they can, I can think of a bunch of guys who need to get a talking to about wearing shorts and combat boots in the summer....
Cop Talk
Old 04-09-2012, 06:31   #26
jwhite75
Gubmint Worker

I agree he should file suit. Definitely something more to the story.
Old 04-09-2012, 13:26   #27
Kadetklapp
Methberry PD

Quote:
Originally Posted by razdog76 View Post
I will bet Tennessee it is a "right to work" state, and/or there is no union.
Indiana is a Right to Work state and our sheriff's department doesn't have a union...and the merit officers cannot be fired without a showing of cause by the merit board.

Last edited by Kadetklapp; 04-09-2012 at 13:26..
Kadetklapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 15:24   #28
razdog76
Heavy Mettle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadetklapp View Post
Indiana is a Right to Work state and our sheriff's department doesn't have a union...and the merit officers cannot be fired without a showing of cause by the merit board.
Still other agencies/businesses have people employed solely at the discretion of the Chief/MGMT. Both have their flaws.
razdog76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 16:32   #29
Kadetklapp
Methberry PD

Quote:
Originally Posted by razdog76 View Post
Still other agencies/businesses have people employed solely at the discretion of the Chief/MGMT. Both have their flaws.
I'm one of them. As a special deputy I can be dismissed at any time. Thankfully I've gone nine years with the sheriff's department and lived thru three administrations and have survived thus far.

I have sued a town for wrongful termination when they "disbanded" the police department and did not give me a hearing to show cause. It cost them a lot of legal fees but I got what I wanted, a positive letter of recommendation.

I do not support public-sector unions and I likely never will. Indiana state law has statutes in place to protect law enforcement officers duly appointed.
Kadetklapp is offline   Reply With Quote