GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-10-2012, 18:59   #26
brokenprism

Sorry you feel that way, High Gear, but I think your issue is with the message, not the messengers. You were dismissive of the messenger.

Last edited by brokenprism; 10-10-2012 at 19:02..
brokenprism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 21:35   #27
High-Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenprism View Post
Sorry you feel that way, High Gear, but I think your issue is with the message, not the messengers. You were dismissive of the messenger.
I used the term "your" when referring to fairytales as a collective one referring to those who would browbeat with threats of hellfire. I did not mean it to single you out personally. I can see how you took it as a personal attack, but that was not the intent.

I do not understand how it is offensive to you. You assert your beliefs are true. I think they are fairy tales, stories, fiction. I was being polite using that term, rather than a more graphic one to describe the lack of regard I hold for the various god myths.

Personally I don't care if a person is "offended". A person's level of offense is not a valid argument. Offense can not be given, only taken. If you choose to be offended by such a vanilla statement, I can not control that. Just understand, it makes about as much sense as muslims claiming offense when a person draws a picture of muhammed.

Last edited by High-Gear; 10-10-2012 at 21:51..
High-Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:33   #28
SDGlock23
Glockoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank4570 View Post
Lets say there is a person who is a "fire and brimstone" type evangelical. Lets say he learns that it is more effective to be a "jesus loves you" type evangelical. "jesus loves you" will save more people than "turn or burn."
Is this person now obligated to try to change or suffer for failing.
It's much easier for a person who might be living a life full of sin to hear how much God loves them, which is true, but it does little to actually help them. They go away feeling as if God's all encompassing love means that they're okay in the eyes of God, since in their earthly imaginations they assume His love of them means that He will tolerate their wicked lifestyle.

Where if they hear the turn or burn message they're likely to come away thinking that God is mean and cruel, which isn't true, but He is Righteous and will judge all men.

The love message alone I think is the wrong way to go about it, but so is the turn and burn message. You have to effectively mix the two of them because they are both true.