SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-09-2014, 01:12   #61
gamecocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantico View Post
I don't know what you have owned... What has been the issues that most of your guns have??? my brand new baer has been 100 percent with several different and difficult types of ammo...

my ed brown has never failed ... my colt 10 mm delta elites.. zero failures... even my Taurus 1911 has been close to prefect and it was not really correctly oiled before use..

my daughter has a colt gold cup... zero failures since new...

so what problems are you having that I am not... and maybe do you have correct oil on your 1911's ????
Wish I could say the same for my Baer. Probably had more than 20 failures of different kinds in the first 625 rounds, mostly failures to fully return to battery. I had so many failures in rounds 425-625 that I didn't even post a range report because I didn't want to get my blood pressure up. I cleaned the gun for the 1st time after last range trip and it was filthy. I am crossing my fingers that the next 100 rounds goes flawlessly, otherwise I may have to send it back to Mr Baer for service.
Old 09-09-2014, 06:47   #62
MD357

I really stopped counting but well past 6-7000 rounds through my TRS and not one problem.
MD357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 06:58   #63
gamecocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD357 View Post
I really stopped counting but well past 6-7000 rounds through my TRS and not one problem.
I hear alot of this. I really hope my UTC's problems are behind me...afraid a trip back to the factory may be in its near future though. Before going down that road I figure I'll go ahead and get to 1,000 rounds, as close as it already is. That said, I have strong doubts that a gun that had this many malfunctions in the first 600 or so rounds will suddenly shoot flawlessly, as it should...but we shall see.
Old 09-09-2014, 11:00   #64
MD357

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecocks View Post
I hear alot of this. I really hope my UTC's problems are behind me...afraid a trip back to the factory may be in its near future though. Before going down that road I figure I'll go ahead and get to 1,000 rounds, as close as it already is. That said, I have strong doubts that a gun that had this many malfunctions in the first 600 or so rounds will suddenly shoot flawlessly, as it should...but we shall see.
Might wanna post a pic so to help with diagnosing. I personally don't believe in break-ins. It works or it doesn't and there's a reason for it. These guns aren't spec'd so tight that it's compromising something like slide velocity. There's likely an extractor or mag that needs tuning.
MD357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 19:26   #65
Rinspeed
JAFO

Quote:
I hear alot of this. I really hope my UTC's problems are behind me..

Sorry to hear about the problems but I agree with MD357 that chances are it's something simple. I didn't go back through the thread but what mags have you used, other than the Baer mags, and do you have them marked. Always, always think mags first and go from there.

You run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking, racing around to come up behind you again, the sun is the same in a relative way but you’re older, shorter of breath and one day closer to death…
Rinspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 21:52   #66
gamecocks

I have had problems with all my magazines, or at least most of them. That is 3 factory Baer mags, and 2 Wilson 8 round etm's. I am not sure that pics would show the problem, but I will try next range trip. I may not have explained the issue that well, so let me elaborate...

The main problem I have seems to be failure to fully return to battery, after firing. Or at least, in my novice mind that is what I think. I would shoot a few rounds without issue, then I went to pull the trigger on the next round, and the trigger wouldn't pull. The gun actually appeared to be in battery, so not sure what to do, I hand cycled the gun and just went on shooting the next rounds. The unfired round was inspected, and reloaded, firing without issue. After a couple of these malfunctions, I figured the gun must be just a hair short of being in battery, so I sort of smacked my hand against the back of the slide. The gun then fired when I pulled the trigger, and cycled the next round fine. So this proved to me the problem was ftrtb and the next few times this happened, a smack on the back of the slide would fix the problem. I did get pretty tired of doing this akward step, so after a few times of doing that, I just went back to hand cycling to the next round, and reloading that one.

The 2nd trip to the range had less problems than the 1st, so I was hopeful the issues were smoothing out, but the 3rd trip was awful. I must have had this problem occur at least 10 out of 200 rounds (round count 425-625). I finally cleaned the gun after this most recent trip, and it was pretty gunked up on the rails. Also, the last range trip, it was extremely hot, and my sweaty hands were having trouble keeping a good grip on the gun. I'm not sure if either of these things played into my problems or not.

In any case, thanks for all your help, advice, and support...I will keep the board updated as I shoot this gun more, and work this issue out.
Old 09-10-2014, 19:42   #67
bac1023

Good luck with it and I hope it works itself out...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 21:28   #68
clarkstoncz

My buddy in TN has one.

A stainless Commanche I think.

Had to wait a year for it.

He could have bought a NIB Python or a Dan Wesson Valor+ Ammo for the price he paid,
but he'd already owned most other brands, and a hand fitted 1911
really is beautiful thing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

clarkstoncz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 20:07   #69
Rinspeed
JAFO

Quote:

In any case, thanks for all your help, advice, and support...I will keep the board updated as I shoot this gun more, and work this issue out.

To me it's obviously not a mag issues if you are having issues with both the Baer and Wilson ones. It's always a good idea to mark your mags, as I suggested, and keep track to verify. Extractor tension, as mentioned before, specifically being too tight would be the next thing to look at. Once you rule out both of those I would think it's time to send it back, the chamber might be on the tight side, that's a possibility.

One other thing that might be slowing down the slide is burr or lack of lubrication on the disco. Seeing Baers come swimming in CLP it might be a long shot but it can't hurt to lube it a little more and check for resistance.

1911 Forums

You run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking, racing around to come up behind you again, the sun is the same in a relative way but you’re older, shorter of breath and one day closer to death…
Rinspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 21:45   #70
quantico
1911 lover

I would put the slide on the receiver without barrel and recoil spring and see if anything feels really tight or a rough edge. Maybe baer will get get to see your pistol again. I just have the feeling that its right on the verge of working well.. based on .. I have no idea.. to be honest you have enough rounds to have burrs and slightly overly tight parts smoothed out.
Old 09-11-2014, 21:52   #71
gamecocks

Quote:
I would put the slide on the receiver without barrel and recoil spring and see if anything feels really tight or a rough edge. Maybe baer will get get to see your pistol again. I just have the feeling that its right on the verge of working well.. based on .. I have no idea.. to be honest you have enough rounds to have burrs and slightly overly tight parts smoothed out.
Sir, you may very well have psychic powers...just got home from a quick 100 round trip to the range, where the Baer functioned perfectly! Not alot of rounds, but hadn't yet gone 100 rounds without a malfunction yet. Some other reasons for optimism, starting a thread with todays range report now...
Old 09-12-2014, 01:49   #72
quantico
1911 lover

I looked into the future.. and your gun was working great... awesome .... glad my feeling was correct on your awesome 1911... the 1911's love oil as much as Lindsay lohan liked visiting friends with packed drug cabinets
Old 09-12-2014, 04:17   #73
bac1023

Quote:
Sir, you may very well have psychic powers...just got home from a quick 100 round trip to the range, where the Baer functioned perfectly! Not alot of rounds, but hadn't yet gone 100 rounds without a malfunction yet. Some other reasons for optimism, starting a thread with todays range report now...
Very cool indeed

bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 15:38   #74
gamecocks

Quote:
I looked into the future.. and your gun was working great... awesome .... glad my feeling was correct on your awesome 1911... the 1911's love oil as much as Lindsay lohan liked visiting friends with packed drug cabinets