SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-10-2014, 11:03   #26
mnotlyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonD View Post

No, please spare me the crap about “its a free country”. Walmart at the least should put the ammo out at random times to make this practice difficult. Don
My walmart does put it out at random times. I've been lucky a time or two.
mnotlyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 14:51   #27
DonD

Got lucky today at the local Bass Pro Shops, got two 325 rd cans of .22LR. This product is unusual, the cans say that they are packed with nitrogen. Unless you live in a very humid area or store the ammo in a place with high humidity, this seems like a sales gimmick but in this case, I could care less as neither situation applies to me.

Price was right and I got rid of an old BP gift card with $5 on it that was cluttering up my wallet and $10 accumulated on BP purchases and it was very cheap.

Don
DonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 17:55   #28
newgene

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnotlyon View Post
It varies from store to store. My local WM puts it out anywhere between 5:30 and 8:00. It's funny to watch the frustration on the 22 hunter's faces when they know it's on the truck and nobody will bring it to them.

Kinda like my boxer when I'm eating steak.
newgene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 17:56   #29
newgene

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnotlyon View Post
BTW, because of the random times they bring out the ammo, I have been able to find just about everything (including 22) during all of 2013.
newgene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 05:40   #30
Kentucky Shooter
NRA Life Member

I have not seen any ,22LR ammo in over a year at walmart. Rather than tap into my reserves, I have not shot any rimfire in over a year either.

I cant believe this situation has lasted this long and I am starting to wonder if it wil ever end. I sure hope this isnt the new normal when it comes to .22LR.

Last edited by Kentucky Shooter; 02-11-2014 at 05:41..
Kentucky Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 05:53   #31
Scrappy

22 and 9mm is like non existent around here or on the web for something at a decent price
Scrappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 06:51   #32
walt cowan

we are indeed headed into dark times. i see no relief for at least another 8 years or more. unless you waiting for a un trooper to deliver a combat load at your feet, might as well get what you can now.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:02   #33
Swipter

As I am trying to figure out my next gun to buy I don't understand why 9mm is so high when others are basically the same price. I guess the whole supply and demand thing or they feel it will still be purchased.
Swipter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:26   #34
M2 Carbine

Last week I was at the local gun store when the manager was on the phone with a distributor.

The distributor told him for every 22 gun he bought they would sell him three bricks of 22LR.

The manager told me that a customer called him at home one evening to let him know Wal Mart had some 22LR.
The manager drove to Wal Mart and bought three bulk packs.

Wal Mart had received over a hundred bulk packs, which were quickly sold out.

The problem isn't going away any time soon.
Shooters that use to buy a brick at a time, and new shooters will now buy 5-10 bricks or more.
And people like me that shoot a lot of 22LR, will stay 50-80,000 rounds ahead.

A first step would to be to stop paying scalpers $40-$50 and more for a brick of 22LR.
I can afford to do it and I wouldn't pay one of those turds $40 for a $19 box of 22's.
M2 Carbine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:12   #35
Turn4811

My neighbors kid works unloading the tractor trailers at the local Wally World. He lets his dad know what ammo is being unloaded and his dad has passed a lot of that info along to everybody else in our small neighborhood that likes to shoot. There has not been that much of the 22LR and the 223, 9, 7.62x39, 308, 38/357, and 45 has been slow to come in. The 40 ammo has been the only thing that has been consistent.

I had a good inventory the last few years so I haven't been running out to buy at the accelerated prices and I also do some re-loading. I have picked up a few items but only if they were not priced too high.

Last edited by Turn4811; 02-15-2014 at 08:01..
Turn4811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 12:49   #36
CBennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentucky Shooter View Post
I have not seen any ,22LR ammo in over a year at walmart. Rather than tap into my reserves, I have not shot any rimfire in over a year either.

I cant believe this situation has lasted this long and I am starting to wonder if it wil ever end. I sure hope this isnt the new normal when it comes to .22LR.
Ive been like this but spottily it becomes available...I picked up a brick at Christmas time of CCI Standard velocity9could have got 2 but I figured leave one for the other guy(GASP!!!!!!)

then this last 1,000 Rounds Sunday at Gander of Winchester for $50

so 1500 rounds so far for this years shooting and still not touching my reserves.
CBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 12:59   #37
Jim85IROC

I've been lucky. With the exception of .22, my Wal Mart is pretty well stocked. My father got close to 1,000 rounds of WWB 9mm over the course of a couple weeks, some as cheap as $.26/each. I've gotten a few hundred rounds of WWB .40 at $.37/ea, and a bunch of .556/223. In fact, last time I went, I'd have to guess that there were 3k or more rounds of .556/223 on the shelf, excluding the over priced 750 round ammo cans of turkish .223.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 14:24   #38
DonD

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2 Carbine View Post
And people like me that shoot a lot of 22LR, will stay 50-80,000 rounds ahead.

I can afford to do it and I wouldn't pay one of those turds $40 for a $19 box of 22's.
50-80K ought to make you a little Billary Klinton and Dear Leader proof!

Agree too with the second paragraph. Don’t want to add to the profit the thieves get. Don
Old 02-14-2014, 14:55   #39
WarEagle32

45 is about 44 for a box of 100 at WM. 9mm 26 per 100 for federal or WWB. Good 22's are still really tough to find around here. I have only found good copper plated bulk 525's a couple of times in over a year and they are around 25 a box. I have found a good bit of lead 22 ammo, but my Ruger Automatics do not like it at all so I don't buy anything that isn't copper plated. If 22lr would just come back the ammo shortage would finally be over. Maybe it almost is. I always keep a lot of ammo, and thought I was well prepared before Sandy Hook, but I am not going to let this happen again. I assume most of you think a lot like me which is why this ammo panic just seems like it is never going to end! I think that it will in the next few months!
WarEagle32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 17:17   #40
Rinspeed
JAFO

I don't want to sound like a jerk but if you like to shoot and don't reload you're a fool. People who don't reload talk like the main result of reloading is you end up shooting a lot more for less money.

The main advantage for me, and others might be different, is I always have several thousand rounds ready to shoot and/or in process. I couldn't imagine wanting to shoot and having to go search for ammo. My only dilemma is which dies should be in the press.

You run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking, racing around to come up behind you again, the sun is the same in a relative way but you’re older, shorter of breath and one day closer to death…
Rinspeed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 17:45   #41
DonD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinspeed View Post
I don't want to sound like a jerk but if you like to shoot and don't reload you're a fool. People who don't reload talk like the main result of reloading is you end up shooting a lot more for less money.

The main advantage for me, and others might be different, is I always have several thousand rounds ready to shoot and/or in process. I couldn't imagine wanting to shoot and having to go search for ammo. My only dilemma is which dies should be in the press.
For the vast majority of the cases, reloading is the way, I do for everything I have but 9mm. Everything I shoot now with .357, .500 Mag, 7.62x39, .458 Win Mag and .300WSM is a reload.

Right now, if I were to buy commercial FMJs for the 9mm, the cost of the slugs, primers and powder would be about the same as Walmart 9mm. Not a good deal there. Don
Old 02-14-2014, 18:07   #42
Rinspeed
JAFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonD View Post
Right now, if I were to buy commercial FMJs for the 9mm, the cost of the slugs, primers and powder would be about the same as Walmart 9mm. Not a good deal there. Don

Last batch of 9mm I ran cost me $158 per thousand using FMJ, using lead it would have been $20-30 cheaper. Last four times I was at Walmart I checked, just out of curiosity, and they didn't have any 9mm ammo. I know I'm not saving a ton of money but I have quite a few rounds ready to shoot at all times.

You run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking, racing around to come up behind you again, the sun is the same in a relative way but you’re older, shorter of breath and one day closer to death…

Last edited by Rinspeed; 02-16-2014 at 09:59..
Rinspeed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 18:29   #43
Revvv

Unfortunately not everyone can reload. It would be nice to have the space, presses, ect, but that isn't realistic for all.

I would love to reload, but at the moment that is not a possibility.

.......and from my understanding rimfire ammo can not be reloaded.

Sent by Morse code using rocks and cup phones.
Revvv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 00:44   #44
gorwilla

To answer the three:

45acp, <0.44/rnd or I walk.
40s&w, <0.36/rnd or I walk.
22LR...I miss the availability of CCI mini mag...but still,
<0.07/rnd (CCI) or I walk.

At times like these, you vote with your money.

Man I miss blazer brass...

Last edited by gorwilla; 02-15-2014 at 00:57..
gorwilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 14:30   #45
GWG19

45 ACP .40 to .44 for FMJ
9mm .23 to .30 for FMJ
- If you’re not moving, you’re dead.
GWG19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 16:43   #46
RonS

I am buying Federal Champion 9mm at .029 at WM. I have paid more at the LGS if I need it for a match. Hope it doesn't dry up before summer, I can only justify spending so much per month.
Old 02-16-2014, 00:52   #47
glide

In Maui, Hawaii I was actually able to find .45 ACP WWB (50 rounds) at the local Sports Authority for $23 plus 4 percent tax. Not too bad price. As for .22LR ammo, forget it. I've not seen rimfire ammo for over a year or maybe longer in the shops I frequented. I'm holding on to what I have and shooting very sparingly nowadays.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:22   #48
M2 Carbine

Quote:
Unfortunately not everyone can reload. It would be nice to have the space, presses, ect, but that isn't realistic for all.
Do you waste time watching the liberal TV news talking heads or other equally time wasting TV shows?

If so, you have plenty of time to reload. And it can be very inexpensive. (in 1961 I had to start reloading because I couldn't afford store bought 38 and 45 ammo)

In reloading, money is time. The more money you spend on equipment the less time it takes to reload a box of ammo.
As a rule of thumb, reloaded ammo costs a little less than half what the same store bought ammo costs. Less if you buy the components on sale and in bulk.

For instance, it takes under 10 minutes to load a box of pistol ammo on my Dillon press.
General Firearms Forum

It takes about 30 minutes to load a box of ammo on this $33 Lee "hand tool" press.
Your whole reloading outfit can fit in a medium size box in a corner of the closet.
I use this press for small jobs like making 30 test rounds.
General Firearms Forum

Last edited by M2 Carbine; 02-16-2014 at 09:25..
M2 Carbine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 14:00   #49
GWG19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvv View Post
My first reloading area was in a corner in my bed room. I built a corner cabinet and bench and went to town with a Lee single stage press. Lee now has a slick little loading bench.
http://leeprecision.com
We always find time and way a way for what we want.
When we built our house I had a loading room made.
General Firearms Forum
- If you’re not moving, you’re dead.

Last edited by GWG19; 02-16-2014 at 14:06..
GWG19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:45   #50
varget

Like M2Carbine I started loading in the early 60's. Problem is that now replenishing powder(especially!)is almost impossible. Primers are 3X what they used to cost and slugs have more than doubled in just the last 2 yrs. As has been stated .22 RF is just out of sight. Have gone to pump air pistols and lead pellets. Young people today just accept these prices as normal and within the next 8 yrs. of hellary the shooting fraternity will shrink rapidly as minimum wage workers can barely afford to eat and pay utility bills, much less have money for recreation like shooting. Sad state of affairs.
varget is offline   Reply With Quote