SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-17-2014, 15:41   #26
Obi Wan

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rambo View Post
Maybe you should read the thread again. I came in here with a helpful tone, answered your question, and noted that theres a difference between hiding your browsing and stopping a small number of websites you regularly visit from being traced back to you. The latter is, almost always, because people have something to hide. The former is what regular people want but is impractical.

If you bothered to read and comprehend what you've read, you'd note that my interests primarily apply to ONE site. Now how does that make me 'guilty of having something to hide'?. Hell yeah! I'd like to "hide my IP" from that one site for hacking/security reasons, as I explained. What the hell is wrong with that?

And then the other poster asked if a particular service was good and effective and I replied with the answer to his question in a professional and efficient manner.

And the whole time you've been in here riding my ass because you got all sore at me over my answer to you, so you've been looking for an argument. I haven't called you a single thing in this thread yet you've been throwing around words like, "Anarchist" because...I dunno..guilty conscience or something? But its not of my doing. Go somewhere else if you want an argument. People have questions, I have answers.
Sorry, 'Mr. Rambo'. You ought to try reading your own posts again.

Yes, in several cases you began your posts sounding like you were trying to be helpful, but then your 'snarcastic' side came through. And, no, I am not the one who first brought up 'Anarchists'. Check your posts. And yet I'm now the one 'throwing' the word around because I've got a 'guilty conscience'...??? Read your own posts, and then go pull up a thumb while you work on your English comprehension.

In the meantime, as we were doing before you kept dropping your little smart-ass comments that weren't necessary, IndyGunFreak, GIockGuy24, snerd, Bren, OldSchool64, et al, we'll try to keep having an interesting and helpful conversation that you don't appear capable of participating in.
"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." - Virg Muelleri
Obi Wan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 15:49   #27
John Rambo
Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi Wan View Post
Sorry, 'Mr. Rambo'. You ought to try reading your own posts again.

Yes, in several cases you began your posts sounding like you were trying to be helpful, but then your 'snarcastic' side came through. And, no, I am not the one who first brought up 'Anarchists'. Check your posts. And yet I'm now the one 'throwing' the word around because I've got a 'guilty conscience'...??? Read your own posts, and then go pull up a thumb while you work on your English comprehension.

In the meantime, as we were doing before you kept dropping your little smart-ass comments that weren't necessary, IndyGunFreak, GIockGuy24, snerd, Bren, OldSchool64, et al, we'll try to keep having an interesting and helpful conversation that you don't appear capable of participating in.
You talk to your mechanic this way, too, when you bring your car in for service? You're a mess, dude. Feel free to stop including me in your conversation, I'm sure somebody else will be in with magic answers for you. I'll keep answering questions as they're asked, though.
John Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 16:00   #28
OldSchool64
Platinum Membership

Here's a possible option for ya Obi Wan;

Go to startpage.com
type in your desired site, click search
on the results page click on View by lxquick Proxy

OldSchool64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 17:32   #29
sbhaven

Quote:
TOR is Safe No More! TOR is Safe No More! - YouTube Hmmm...
And your point is? The video simply points out that the NSA is going after them and cracking their encryption. The NSA has for years been hacking the internet in general. You ask about surfing anonymously and you can do that, for the most part, on Tor.

Only way to be 100% anonymous on the internet is not to go on the internet.

Last edited by sbhaven; 02-17-2014 at 17:32..
sbhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 17:39   #30
Obi Wan

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rambo View Post
You talk to your mechanic this way, too, when you bring your car in for service? You're a mess, dude. Feel free to stop including me in your conversation, I'm sure somebody else will be in with magic answers for you. I'll keep answering questions as they're asked, though.
If one of my mechanics proved himself to be smart ass who tosses out the kind of comments you do when people ask innocent questions, I'd tell him to go to hell and find another one. None of them are that good that I have to put up with a narcissistic bung hole. Feel free to stay out of my threads.
"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." - Virg Muelleri
Old 02-17-2014, 17:44   #31
Obi Wan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchool64
Here's a possible option for ya Obi Wan;

Go to startpage.com
type in your desired site, click search
on the results page click on View by lxquick Proxy
Thanks. I'll take a look at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbhaven View Post
And your point is? The video simply points out that the NSA is going after them and cracking their encryption. The NSA has for years been hacking the internet in general. You ask about surfing anonymously and you can do that, for the most part, on Tor.

sbhaven,

I wasn't trying to make a point other than post something I came across. Note my 'Hmmm...' at the end, as in 'Hmmm... beats me...??" I don't know all the ins and out of it. That's why I posted it in case anyone else was interested.

Yes, I'm familiar with the concept of staying off the Internet...

Thanks.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:13   #32
GIockGuy24
Bring M&M's

Using a proxy server may work fairly well if you use a browser that doesn't have any plug-ins or extensions.

If you are visiting personal banking or personal medical websites, they likely require some plug-ins or extensions to fully function.

I don't do anything that personal on the internet and I don't use a computer with internet access for keeping personal information.

Be careful which proxy server programs you use. Some are associated with Chinese or other websites that steal information.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:43   #33
Obi Wan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIockGuy24 View Post
Using a proxy server may work fairly well if you use a browser that doesn't have any plug-ins or extensions.

If you are visiting personal banking or personal medical websites, they likely require some plug-ins or extensions to fully function.

I don't do anything that personal on the internet and I don't use a computer with internet access for keeping personal information.

Be careful which proxy server programs you use. Some are associated with Chinese or other websites that steal information.
I try to stay away from most personal banking stuff online if I can.

The only medical site that would be used with my name associated with it would be if I'm forced to use the ObamaCare site, which is what my primary concern rides on. They've built ZERO security on the back end, they've hired convicts, and, I'd guess, illegal aliens also (all of whom I'm sure are trustworthy people, right?) to serve as 'guides', and as of two weeks ago everyone's personal financial and medical data was freely available via non-hacking open searches on the site according to some IT security experts.

As it is, my wife's insurance cost is apparently going to go from $330/month to about $860, which is insult enough, but I sure don't care to toss all of our personal data out openly on the web to boot. Mr. Rambo can do it if he'd like to, but I'm not if I can help it.

Good point on China. They're as bad as Obama's gang...

Thanks.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:16   #34
captainstormy

Send a message via ICQ to captainstormy Send a message via AIM to captainstormy Send a message via Yahoo to captainstormy
Sounds like a perfect use for Tor to me. Download it and check it out.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:58   #35
John Rambo
Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbhaven View Post

Well, yes and no. The government eventually cracks encryption. This happens AFTER the rest of the world cracks it, usually. I can't overstate the ineptitude of government IT types enough. Its not like in the movies - the best and brightest are in the private sector. Once encryption is cracked, its simply strengthened until cracked again. RSA 1024 is cracked? Lets switch for RSA 2048. DES is cracked? Move to 3DES. 3DES is cracked? Lets go with AES128, then 192, then 256, and so on. Its a neverending game of cat and mouse. Any worthwhile proxy will stay ahead of the curve.

The problems are if the government wants something, it doesn't crack encryption. It cracks the front door and seizes the equipment. Or, as we've recently found out, the NSA intercepts the equipment in transit and flashes the firmware or installs hardware modules that gives them backdoors into it, then reseals the package and the recipient never knows. But actually cracking it? Unless a weakness is found, its not used on modern encryption because it isn't possible in any reasonable amount of time.

Always go offshore for your proxy.
John Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 18:11   #36
Obi Wan

Nice, professional, informative post, Mr. Rambo.

Thanks.
Old 02-19-2014, 13:05   #37
Don H

For the most part Tor is enough. If you're very paranoid then you can run tails: https://tails.boum.org/ Get yourself a cheap laptop (pay for it with cash), pull the HDD and then run it at the local coffee shops. Tracking your browsing habits will be next to impossible. Whonix is very good however somewhat complicated.

A brief explanation of how Tor works....

http://donttrack.us/

Last edited by Don H; 02-19-2014 at 13:22..
Don H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 22:26   #38
harrygunner

Yes, "Tails" is good. I burned it to an old 1GB USB memory stick and boot from it.

"Tails" runs Tor as a proxy listening to 'localhost'.

Browser has NO plugins. The browser is configured to use that Tor proxy on 'localhost'.

Several other features to facilitate security and autonomy.
Old 03-03-2014, 19:41   #39
edcrosbys

What are you trying to prevent?
Server and site operators from knowing info about you.
A proxy, tor or VPN will do just fine
Your ISP from knowing what you're doing.
TOR or VPN
The government.
VPN - and this is only a maybe.

VPN will always be faster than tor.

One I'd recommend. Also supports phone and network devices.
https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/buy-vpn/
edcrosbys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 13:29   #40
Obi Wan

Quote:
Originally Posted by edcrosbys View Post
What are you trying to prevent?
Server and site operators from knowing info about you.
A proxy, tor or VPN will do just fine
Your ISP from knowing what you're doing.
TOR or VPN
The government.
VPN - and this is only a maybe.

VPN will always be faster than tor.

One I'd recommend. Also supports phone and network devices.
https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/buy-vpn/
Thanks for asking, but I think I've explained the primary reason for asking this question a couple of times. See the quote below...

Thanks for the break-down of the primary advantages of the two methods.

Quote:
I try to stay away from most personal banking stuff online if I can.

The only medical site that would be used with my name associated with it would be if I'm forced to use the ObamaCare site, which is what my primary concern rides on. They've built ZERO security on the back end, they've hired convicts, and, I'd guess, illegal aliens also (all of whom I'm sure are trustworthy people, right?) to serve as 'guides', and as of two weeks ago everyone's personal financial and medical data was freely available via non-hacking open searches on the site according to some IT security experts.

As it is, my wife's insurance cost is apparently going to go from $330/month to about $860, which is insult enough, but I sure don't care to toss all of our personal data out openly on the web to boot. Mr. Rambo can do it if he'd like to, but I'm not if I can help it.

Good point on China. They're as bad as Obama's gang...

Thanks.
Old 03-04-2014, 18:57   #41
Don H

If you use Tor don't log into anything or divulge any personal info. Some of Tor's exit nodes are malicious and have been known to grab personal info like passwords. For Just browsing Tor works great. If you must use Tor for personal stuff be sure that you're using end to end encryption.
Old 03-10-2014, 21:18   #42
jdeere_man
CLM Number 26
Charter Lifetime Member

Tor might achieve what you want, but it will be slow probably.

If you want true anonymity use a vpn service.

It's been some time ago, over a year, way before the snowden and nsa deal, that I made a post about anonymity. I almost hate to mention it because it almost ended up in me getting banned from here, but the post is still up to read here.

Anyway if you want a good vpn service I would recommend vpntunnel.se It's a swedish based vpn service with multiple servers in multiple countries. After what came to light about NSA (things I already suspected) I can understand why a person might want to use such a service. They have two services (or you can buy both for a bit more). They support PPTP vpn, which is a protocol that most devices (computers and mobile) support natively. They also support OpenVPN, which requires their client software, but you get much higher bit encryption, you can pick the country you want to connect to, and some other features. It is also probably easier to use their client software for the novice user because you don't have to deal with configure PPTP settings. Just install the program, launch and sign-in.

Some things to be aware of. Some of the countries your connection terminates might cause red flags with different services. In my case it was gunbroker. I had used the VPN to connect to internet and was on gunbroker, logged into my account. They observed my account was logged into from a country other than what my account was registered. Nothing is to say I wasn't actually in that country as I do travel, but they froze my account and threatened to ban me. I wasn't trying to do anything illegal and my account was not compromised, I was just using the VPN to get around a content filtering device in this case.

A lot of the flak I got was people automatically thinking I must be doing something illegal if I wanted to "hide" my traffic. Say what you will, but I don't want the government or anyone else watching my every move even if I do have all my ducks in a row. Unfortunately you cannot trust them anymore to mind their own business so you may decide to go a route that keeps your business your business.
Old 03-10-2014, 22:52   #43
Don H

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdeere_man View Post
Tor might achieve what you want, but it will be slow probably.

If you want true anonymity use a vpn service.

It's been some time ago, over a year, way before the snowden and nsa deal, that I made a post about anonymity. I almost hate to mention it because it almost ended up in me getting banned from here, but the post is still up to read here.

Anyway if you want a good vpn service I would recommend vpntunnel.se It's a swedish based vpn service with multiple servers in multiple countries. After what came to light about NSA (things I already suspected) I can understand why a person might want to use such a service. They have two services (or you can buy both for a bit more). They support PPTP vpn, which is a protocol that most devices (computers and mobile) support natively. They also support OpenVPN, which requires their client software, but you get much higher bit encryption, you can pick the country you want to connect to, and some other features. It is also probably easier to use their client software for the novice user because you don't have to deal with configure PPTP settings. Just install the program, launch and sign-in.

Some things to be aware of. Some of the countries your connection terminates might cause red flags with different services. In my case it was gunbroker. I had used the VPN to connect to internet and was on gunbroker, logged into my account. They observed my account was logged into from a country other than what my account was registered. Nothing is to say I wasn't actually in that country as I do travel, but they froze my account and threatened to ban me. I wasn't trying to do anything illegal and my account was not compromised, I was just using the VPN to get around a content filtering device in this case.

A lot of the flak I got was people automatically thinking I must be doing something illegal if I wanted to "hide" my traffic. Say what you will, but I don't want the government or anyone else watching my every move even if I do have all my ducks in a row. Unfortunately you cannot trust them anymore to mind their own business so you may decide to go a route that keeps your business your business.
Tor will provide greater anonymity than a VPN, VPN's in general provide better security and privacy. Many use VPN's for things like torrenting since it encrypts all traffic while Tor does not, also Tor tends to be much slower (for several reasons). Many people purchase and use VPN's thinking that all they have to do is fire it up and they will be totally anonymous while online (not true). Things like ipv6 leaks, DNS leaks, browser fingerprinting etc. make you far less anonymous then you think. BTW one of the worst things you can do is log into an account (with your VPN) that you created with your regular ip address that your ISP assigned to you as they can be linked together.

Last edited by Don H; 03-11-2014 at 01:43..