Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:16   #101
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
I guess I missed the part with the evidence.
Actually, I suspect that was well guised sarcasm on Roering's part. At least I hope it was, the Nazi card doesn't measure up to his normal debating standards.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Geko45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:31   #102
Bren
NRA Life Member

This thread reminded me - I have exciting news:

Last night I watched the TV series "heroes" on netflix. It was set in Odessa, Texas and New York, NY. Turns out those are real places, so that proves there are mutants out there who can fly, travel through time, heal instantly, and read your mind. This must be the most exciting discovery since the bible.

In more frightening news: Cyberdyne is also real:
http://www.cyberdyne.jp/english/
http://www.cyberdyne-systems.co.uk/

How far away can Skynet be? maybe we already have it?

Last edited by Bren; 04-12-2012 at 08:31..
Bren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:37   #103
Woofie
CLM Number 293
Disirregardless

Send a message via AIM to Woofie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geko45 View Post
The only thing I have to add to this thread is that there are other ancient texts that describe supernatural events and also have archaeological support that no one believes provide proof of the divine, so why should the bible be an exception?

Take Homer's Iliad for example (written in the eight century BC). For a long time, it was assumed that the Trojan War and Troy itself were complete works of fiction. Until the location was discovered and it was found that the landmarks described in Homer's work matched those at the site.

Does that mean we should assume that Achilles was in fact an invulnerable demi-god with only one weak spot located on his heel? Made so by his mother (a nymph) by dipping him in the River Styx as an infant? Except for his heel, which is where she held him by?

No, of course not.
The Greek myths give explanations on a wide range of natural phenomena from how the constellations formed to why there are echoes. I see no reason to doubt their validity.

"I don't need to figure probabilities, and I don't need facts." JBnTx

"Maybe they should drink like Woofie and come up with pure brilliance." OXCOPS

"Woofie is the only smart one around here." Photoman642
Woofie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:35   #104
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woofie View Post
The Greek myths give explanations on a wide range of natural phenomena from how the constellations formed to why there are echoes. I see no reason to doubt their validity.
I hope that was sarcasm.

Or do you actually see no reason to doubt that a goddess created all the stars in the Orion constellation as a tribute to a dead boyfriend - doesn't that call the christian explanation into some doubt?

I hear Zeus created ursa major by turning his nurse into a bear and throwing her into the sky. Do you see any reason to doubt that?

Last edited by Bren; 04-12-2012 at 12:36..
Bren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:44   #105
Woofie
CLM Number 293
Disirregardless

Send a message via AIM to Woofie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
I hope that was sarcasm.

Or do you actually see no reason to doubt that a goddess created all the stars in the Orion constellation as a tribute to a dead boyfriend - doesn't that call the christian explanation into some doubt?

I hear Zeus created ursa major by turning his nurse into a bear and throwing her into the sky. Do you see any reason to doubt that?
No reason to doubt any of that. Nor do I see any reason to doubt that my echo is really a nymph who is head over heals in love with me, but can only repeat what I say.

Smilies are a tool I rarely use.

"I don't need to figure probabilities, and I don't need facts." JBnTx

"Maybe they should drink like Woofie and come up with pure brilliance." OXCOPS

"Woofie is the only smart one around here." Photoman642

Last edited by Woofie; 04-12-2012 at 12:45..
Woofie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 13:33   #106
Norske

I do not doubt that events described in the Bible have some basis in history.

I think that Eden was an account of a time when the now-Persian gulf region was wetter, lusher, the oceans were several hundred feet lower than today, and an easy place for the hunter-gatherers we then were to make a living and a life and raise families.

And the expulsion from Eden is an account of when it got drier, harder, and the seas rose as the Ice Age glaciers melted.

I think the flood of Noah is an exaggerated account of the inundation of the Black Sea. Again probably owing to melting glaciers/rising oceans.

I think that Moses really did lead 2,000,000 serf/slaves out of Egypt and on to a successful re-invasion of Palestine.

I think that Jesus really was a really, really smart self-educated Jewish Rabbi.

I just do not think that any of it had any basis in the actions or interventions of supernatural beings.
Old 04-14-2012, 17:05   #107
Paul7
New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenDrake View Post
Yep, the talking snakes are my favorite.
IF God really exists, miracles are no big deal, and you can't prove He doesn't exist.
Old 04-14-2012, 18:06   #108
ksg0245

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul7 View Post
IF God really exists, miracles are no big deal, and you can't prove He doesn't exist.
There's no reason to bother.
ksg0245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 19:45   #109
Gray_Rider

[QUOTE=Norske;18835639]I do not doubt that events described in the Bible have some basis in history.

I think the flood of Noah is an exaggerated account of the inundation of the Black Sea. Again probably owing to melting glaciers/rising oceans.

Yes this is why dozens of ancient cultures across the globe have a flood story where a man or men build a huge ship full of animals to survive a worldwide flood.

This also explains the millions and millions of fossils lying in beds in perfect order, just as they were left when the water recinded, and fish fossils found with their gills extended their fins spread as they were just a moment before swimming....They clearly were covered up ALIVE. And very rapidly. Deep sea life fossil remains on towering mountains...No....no worldwide flood here!

But according to "science" millions of complex lifeforms just happened to happen, just like CD players were one day found in apple orchards, and one day out of the blue, 747's landed fully staffed and fueled on schedule ready to pick up their passengers.

They too "just evolved" out of naturally occuring processes....came from 33 1/3 records and the Wright brothers' glider I suppose......with no inventor or maker.

Any you folks think WE Christians are the ones with too much faith in something "unprovable"?

What about the insects? What did they "evolve" from? The ant for instance is born a soldier, worker, queen, drone, etc. She is hatched equipped to be a soldier and she knows (upon hatching!!) what she needs to do to defend her nest!!?? She is equipped to do the job with huge mandables, armor, etc right out of the egg! Imagine a baby born to be Navy Seal, a SEAL with all his weapons and the knowledge to use the whole array....ready to go not even needing to be dried off!

Ohh this is getting too stupid to argue.....They find an actual path across the bottom of the Red Sea. With visible relics of ancient Egypts' charriot wheels, horse and human remains, ancient monuments marking the site on both shores...but its still bushwah and twaddle...

You folks serve on the OJ trial jury? Same mindset.

"You can't convict if the glove don't fit!!!"

Gray_Rider
Old 04-14-2012, 20:00   #110
Saber99

[quote=Gray_Rider;18845761]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norske View Post

Yes this is why dozens of ancient cultures across the globe have a flood story where a man or men build a huge ship full of animals to survive a worldwide flood.

This also explains the millions and millions of fossils lying in beds in perfect order, just as they were left when the water recinded, and fish fossils found with their gills extended their fins spread as they were just a moment before swimming....They clearly were covered up ALIVE. And very rapidly. Deep sea life fossil remains on towering mountains...No....no worldwide flood here!

But according to "science" millions of complex lifeforms just happened to happen, just like CD players were one day found in apple orchards, and one day out of the blue, 747's landed fully staffed and fueled on schedule ready to pick up their passengers.

They too "just evolved" out of naturally occuring processes....came from 33 1/3 records and the Wright brothers' glider I suppose......with no inventor or maker.

Any you folks think WE Christians are the ones with too much faith in something "unprovable"?

What about the insects? What did they "evolve" from? The ant for instance is born a soldier, worker, queen, drone, etc. She is hatched equipped to be a soldier and she knows (upon hatching!!) what she needs to do to defend her nest!!?? She is equipped to do the job with huge mandables, armor, etc right out of the egg! Imagine a baby born to be Navy Seal, a SEAL with all his weapons and the knowledge to use the whole array....ready to go not even needing to be dried off!

Ohh this is getting too stupid to argue.....They find an actual path across the bottom of the Red Sea. With visible relics of ancient Egypts' charriot wheels, horse and human remains, ancient monuments marking the site on both shores...but its still bushwah and twaddle...

Gray_Rider
Just admit you've never made a serious attempt to even begin to understand the theory of evolution. Your post is full of BS claims. Go read Artificial's evolution primer and at least try to understand what you so readily discredit.
Saber99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 23:27   #111
Animal Mother
Not Enough Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray_Rider View Post
No, they don't.
Quote:
This also explains the millions and millions of fossils lying in beds in perfect order, just as they were left when the water recinded, and fish fossils found with their gills extended their fins spread as they were just a moment before swimming....They clearly were covered up ALIVE. And very rapidly.
No, there aren't.
Quote:
Deep sea life fossil remains on towering mountains...No....no worldwide flood here!
Where are these fossils exactly?
Quote:
Are you under the impression that either CD players or 747s are organic and capable of reproduction?
Quote:
Arguments from personal lack of comprehension are not compelling.
Quote:
Yes, but only because you apparently are as you are so ably demonstrating in this post.
Quote:
Insects, like all other life, evolved from earlier life.
Quote:
Ohh this is getting too stupid to argue
Imagine how the people who actually have evidence to support their position feel when having to confront creationists.
Quote:
They find an actual path across the bottom of the Red Sea. With visible relics of ancient Egypts' charriot wheels, horse and human remains, ancient monuments marking the site on both shores...but its still bushwah and twaddle...
There aren't any such ancient monuments, and the one existing column (who's maker and provenance are unknown) bears no engravings, despite the claims made in the video.
Old 04-15-2012, 15:53   #112
Paul7
New Guy

Quote:

Gray_Rider
Great post, but I doubt it will impress the God-haters.
Old 04-15-2012, 18:14   #113
Animal Mother
Not Enough Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul7 View Post
Great post, but I doubt it will impress the God-haters.
Considering how much of it is demonstrably untrue, why would it impress anyone?
Old 04-15-2012, 18:49   #114
Gunhaver
the wrong hands

Quote:

Gray_Rider
In other words, there must be a god because you don't understand how things work.
http://vodpod.com/watch/5281188-colb...ngs-work-video

You can understand how those marine fossils got in the mountains if you really want to know. That's what's makes your particular type of ignorance so deplorable in this day and age. It doesn't just happen, it has to be nurtured and tended to like a twisted little bonsai tree of intentional misinformation.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=why+are+marine+...s+in+mountains
Gunhaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:07   #115
Roering
Sorting nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geko45 View Post
Actually, I suspect that was well guised sarcasm on Roering's part. At least I hope it was, the Nazi card doesn't measure up to his normal debating standards.
It was. Sometimes I'm just here for my own amusement.

Never buy vegan tacos from a chick with longer armpit hair than yourself. - Woofie
Roering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 21:28   #116
Paul7
New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal Mother View Post
Considering how much of it is demonstrably untrue, why would it impress anyone?
As I was saying........