GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-08-2012, 05:38   #151
ca survivor

In Florida, or in my part of town, there has been a lot of robbers impersonating police officers, cars and all.
ca survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:51   #152
happyguy
Na Ben Don Chat

I'm going out on a limb and say that if this passes and is signed into law it be a non-event. Cops will continue on as they have in the past and so will the civilians and the bad guys.

All this hoopla reminds me of "the sky is falling" response every time a state liberalizes their CCW restrictions.

Regards,
Happyguy
Old 03-09-2012, 07:06   #153
Southswede

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyguy View Post
I'm going out on a limb and say that if this passes and is signed into law it be a non-event. Cops will continue on as they have in the past and so will the civilians and the bad guys.

All this hoopla reminds me of "the sky is falling" response every time a state liberalizes their CCW restrictions.

Regards,
Happyguy
It's the same hoopla that went on about "cop killer bullets", as opposed to non-cop killer bullets......
Southswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:08   #154
RocPO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_plinking View Post
Why take this stance? Why not say "you will know we are the good guys because of xyz?" The a fore mentioned scenario is one I would want to avoid if at all possible. Why is it so much to ask to hear "This is the last thing we want to happen either, this is what we do to avoid it, this is what you should do to avoid it too." not "Well you may or may not be right, but you'll be sorry either way 'cuase we won't stop 'till you're dead".

Sorry, but this line of reasoning is lost on me.
I chose that stance to get my point across as realistically as possible. I'm not here to sugar coat things and make you feel warm and fuzzy. I don't play political correctness. Although, I find it interesting that you disagree with me saying that we'll use force to defend ourselves and the probable outcome, yet have no issue with the post I was quoting saying that he would use whatever force he deems necessary to defend his family. Why could he not just say what he would do in that situation and how to calm the situation?

I can assure you that if the decision is made to use force on a police officer, it will not end well for the person who makes that decision. You have a choice to make.

And to be quite specific, I do not mean "you" as in yourself necessarily. I use that as a generic "you".
RocPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 11:36   #155
fpgeek

Link to the bill from the IN Senate

Quote:
Originally Posted by samurairabbi View Post
An important bit of background:

Last year, the Indiana Supreme Court ruled that a resident can NEVER use deadly force in resisting ANY police entry attempt WHATSOEVER, even if the reason for that entry is demonstrably false at the time the entry is made.

If a neighbor is pissed off at you, and has a friend on the force who is off-duty and decides to throw his weight around and enter your residence on his OWN volition, with no contact with his department, and with some alcohol into the mix, you STILL can't resist with deadly force. This is really the basis of the uproar.

The proposed bill is tightly written. The police must have warrants, be in hot pursuit, or have noted plausible evidence that criminal activity is underway, to be in JUSTIFIED status for an entry.

I understand that people reading internet coverage may blow a gasket over what they are reading. Reality is considerably more subdued.
http://www.in.gov/apps/lsa/session/b...=SB&docno=0001

A federal civil rights action, i.e. "color of law" violations under 42 USC 1983 in the case previously cited is probably a better redress avenue than this bill.

Last edited by fpgeek; 03-10-2012 at 11:51.. Reason: clarity
fpgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:47   #156
Kadetklapp
Methberry PD

Well, Mitch signed it into law. So.....we'll see what happens. My guess is two things will happen-

Some cops will simply give up/leave when summoned to domestic violence, well-being checks, etc when confronted with any kind of verbal threat of violence by the home owner, either because of ignorance of the new law, fear, or laziness.

Two, they will go get a warrant for every single time they need into a house. The judges will get sick of it and push back.
Kadetklapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:56   #157
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadetklapp View Post
Well, Mitch signed it into law. So.....we'll see what happens. My guess is two things will happen-

Some cops will simply give up/leave when summoned to domestic violence, well-being checks, etc when confronted with any kind of verbal threat of violence by the home owner, either because of ignorance of the new law, fear, or laziness.

Two, they will go get a warrant for every single time they need into a house. The judges will get sick of it and push back.

I predict neither of those will happen. More likely, the police will continue to do as they have always done and a few tinfoil hat nuts will get themselves killed while "standing up for their rights." I just hope they don't take anybody with them.

Last edited by Bren; 03-23-2012 at 12:57..
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:58   #158
Morris
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
I just hope they don't take anybody with them.
Regrettably, I suggest that they will.

Certified Glock Armorer
Certified M&P Armorer

Say NO! to Washington I-594
Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 19:31   #159
norm357

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphertext View Post
But wouldn't that criminal shoot at a cop anyway? The law doesn't allow for just shooting a cop, if I understand it correctly. It only allows for defense against an unlawful action. I'm struggling to understand when this law would actually apply. Other than a raid at 123 Anystreet, and they should have actually been at 123 Anylane...

I know, I watch too many movies....
No you don't.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kathryn_Johnston_shooting

I am a very strong supporter of law enforcement, but crap does get through the background sometimes.
Old 03-24-2012, 13:10   #160
ICARRY2
NRA Life Member

I have stated several times that I think this is bad legislation and Gov. Daniels should and will veto it.

For those of you "dying" to uneccesarily shoot a leo in your home illegally, feel free to make your claim of self defense at trial. Just dont expect the jury to buy it
ICARRY2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:07   #161
Ajon412

http://www.policeone.com/Officer-Saf...ke-of-Ind-law/
Ajon412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 00:18   #162
JuneyBooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Lee View Post
If there is good evidence that a cop was acting with criminal intentions in a particular situation, wasn't it already legal to shoot the criminal in self defense? I thought we already acknowledged that sometimes, cops can be bad people too.
I agree.
JuneyBooney is online now   Reply With Quote