SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-15-2013, 12:27   #1
kckndrgn

Send a message via ICQ to kckndrgn Send a message via AIM to kckndrgn
Looking for some electrical help on '09 F150

Starting Friday night I've been plagued by some electrical issues.

1st thing that happened was the MFS wouldn't turn on the high beams or right turn signal. A short time later, everything returned to normal.
Saturday night (didn't drive at all during the day) started the truck, as soon as I started backing up I got a TPMS Sensor failure, Traction control light, console lights not on.
I put the truck in park, checked the tires, and tried to put it in drive but it would not shift out of park.
I disconnected the battery, and reconnected it about 2 min later, but no change. In fact the first time I started the truck the started stayed engaged.

I've checked all the fuses and relays and all appear to be good.

I'm at a loss as to what is wrong. At first I thought it was the MFS, but I don't think that effects the TPMS or traction control or radio.

Is this a grounding issue? where should I look? Or is this a problem in the steering column?
The truck is an '09 Super Crew

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-15-2013, 15:40   #2
UtahIrishman
BLR

I have an 05 F150 4x4 that was plagued by electrical problems when I first got it. It finally seem to boil down to the relay for the A/C and the one next to it (I don't recall off hand what that one did)

Any rate those relays aren't that expensive. I'd start by replacing both relays and go from there.

I've had no electrical problems since I replaced both of those relays. If you only replace one and not the other you'll probably still have problems. I don't know why but that's how it worked for me.

Forgot to add: For the sensors to clear you need to disconnect the battery for at least 15 minutes

----

Last edited by UtahIrishman; 12-15-2013 at 15:46.. Reason: added
UtahIrishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 16:01   #3
kckndrgn

Thanks UtahIrishman,
I've checked (and rechecked) all fuses and relays (relays by swapping to a known good good place).
I'm thinking somewhere someplace a ground no longer has ground due to the number of systems effected. I did some digging around today and found some wires that have a wrapping (like nylon tape to keep the wires bundled together) damaged from the the parking brake pedal, but it didn't appear that any of the wires where damaged, yet.

in addition to the problems listed above, the radio does not come on, the vent blower does not work. If I turn on my hazzards the inside lights don't flash but the lights outside do.
Old 12-15-2013, 16:27   #4
Mraforever

I would check the ignition switch. If you can get a service manual it will show what pins to check with a multimeter.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Ohub Campfire mobile app
Mraforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 18:04   #5
smokeross
GTDS Member #49

There are some good forums dedicated to Ford trucks where you might find help with this malfunction.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:37   #6
knoxrocks222

I know its not a ford but in my 08 jeep commander when the alternator started going out all kinds of crazy lights started comming on on my dash. This also happened after I replaced the alternator but the stock battery had just enough juice to crank it but thats it. I put a new battery in and all was good......until my wife left the sunroof open and we had a massive rain storm and both floor boards filled with water and completly fried the pcm.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:25   #7
orgnova

I had a electrical issue last winter, a field mouse had crawled into the car and ate some of the wire insulation off. Things would keep shortening out until I found the problem. Maybe you have a little friend looking for a warm place to sleep. My 2.
orgnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 13:28   #8
Jaykwish

I worked as a mechanic at a ford garage for a few years after I got out of the Seabees, what your problem sounds like is an ECM malfunctioning. Usually when they go bad everything starts going nutty, you might see if they can reprogram it or you might have to replace it. That's my best guess.
Jaykwish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 13:55   #9
kckndrgn

jaykwish, you were spot on, the dealership had to replace one of the computer boards. Fortunately it was under warranty still.
Old 12-20-2013, 13:56   #10
Jaykwish

I'm glad you got it fixed for free that stuff gets expensive.
Jaykwish is offline   Reply With Quote