SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-07-2014, 21:53   #21
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by njl View Post
Until its the smokeless powder shelves, everywhere.
For most reloaders, a little bit of proactive buying would have you set. I did not need a single primer or # of powder the end of 2012. I bought powder & primers anyway. So while I am always looking to buy at a good price, I am not hurting & I shoot every week. Keep looking, when you buy, buy as much as you can.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 08-07-2014 at 21:54..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 00:05   #22
colin1230

At my present cost for bullets, powder and primers I am loading 9mm 124g FMJ's for $0.162 each or $8.10 per box of 50. Reloading and shooting are hobbies for me and I am blessed that I can do a lot of both. Not counting .380, .38/357 and .45 calibers, an order of 4k 9mm bullets will last approx 6 mo. No way could I shoot like that buying factory ammo.
colin1230 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:21   #23
Steel Head
Tactical Cat

Ha!
I do shoot for less but then I do shoot more now also.

I think reloadings best attribute is making the ammo you what at the amount I shoot weekly.

If you were shooting a lot for competitions it would be a substantial savings.
Old 08-08-2014, 11:50   #24
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Head View Post
Ha!
I do shoot for less but then I do shoot more now also.

I think reloadings best attribute is making the ammo you what at the amount I shoot weekly.

If you were shooting a lot for competitions it would be a substantial savings.
25yrs ago, between the wife, the son & I, we used to shoot about 3K rds a month, 38sp & 45colt. I paid for my 550 in a month I think. So yes, I saved a ton vs factory ammo. Now it's just me still shooting quite a bit, but less than 1K rds a month, so no, you don't always shoot more but you always shoot for less.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 20:05   #25
ret. 622

"I can save money if I reload" is what you tell your spouse.
ret. 622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 00:00   #26
WeeWilly

People will tell you all sorts of nonsense about how you can't save any money loading this caliber or that.

Heck, I even save a buck or two per box of my 12ga clay target loads, over even Walmart promo packs.

So when someone tells you, you aren't going to save any money, tell them they clearly are not doing it right.

Now, on the question of whether it's worth it, that depends on many very individual considerations, which again means that anyone telling you it isn't worth it, by definition doesn't know what they are talking about. Unfortunately, the same applies to anyone telling you it will be worth it, only you can determine whether it is worth it to you.

Last edited by WeeWilly; 08-09-2014 at 00:03..
WeeWilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 01:21   #27
BobbyS
You Talkin ToMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by F106 Fan View Post
I'm in a little different spot re: reloading.

Shooting is my hobby. I like shooting!
Reloading is NOT my hobby. I do not like reloading!

So, for pistol, I want to load fast enough to consider myself as making somewhere north of $50/hour. So, I have to load at least $100 worth of ammo per hour at factory cost. That's not all that hard, actually.

For precision rifle, all I have to do is compare my cost against $2/round for Lapua Match and there's no way I'm not well paid!

Then there is accuracy. For no particularly good reason, and I don't take credit for any aspect of it, my Rem 700 just loves my reloads and when I see 3 shots in the very same hole, reloading begins to become tolerable. Targets get taped to the refrigerator. That kind of thing...

I think there is a certain euphoria in loading the first couple of thousand pistol rounds. They certainly look cool in an ammo can, all bright and shiny. But after that, it's just grunt work. Necessary, but not mentally challenging.

Richard
What cal. is your Rem 700? Beeen thinking of one.
Old 08-09-2014, 07:54   #28
F106 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyS View Post
What cal. is your Rem 700? Beeen thinking of one.
It's .308.

But it's some kind of non-catalog rifle similar to:
http://www.snipercentral.com/milspec5r.phtml

It has a 20" heavy barrel (vs 24" above) with 11.25 twist and 5R rifling and an HS Precision stock which I'm not all that fond of. I just can't make sense of the palm swell but it does keep me from choking the stock.

I am using the Sierra accuracy load of 39.5 gr N540 with the 175 gr BTHP bullet. The velocity is quite low (around 2300 fps) but the accuracy is superb. Over time, I'm going to work on getting the velocity up, although, at my ranges of interest, it's not a problem.

Richard
Old 08-09-2014, 17:05   #29
BobbyS
You Talkin ToMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by F106 Fan View Post
It's .308.

But it's some kind of non-catalog rifle similar to:
http://www.snipercentral.com/milspec5r.phtml

It has a 20" heavy barrel (vs 24" above) with 11.25 twist and 5R rifling and an HS Precision stock which I'm not all that fond of. I just can't make sense of the palm swell but it does keep me from choking the stock.

I am using the Sierra accuracy load of 39.5 gr N540 with the 175 gr BTHP bullet. The velocity is quite low (around 2300 fps) but the accuracy is superb. Over time, I'm going to work on getting the velocity up, although, at my ranges of interest, it's not a problem.

Richard
Great info, thanks!