GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2014, 12:08   #176
fwm
Senior Member
 
fwm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Near Central US
Posts: 2,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
.
So I live with the restrictions because I have little choice. There is more to one's life than their gun rights. Yes, that is hard to swallow, especially for one that loves shooting & guns as much as I, but that is the reality..
As one that has had to use his gun on several occasions to stop armed criminal action and violence from being perpetrated on me, I disagree. The ability to carry enough armament to defend myself has already proved itself to be valuable enough to dictate where I will or will not live. Love of shooting and gun rights doesn't matter, love of life does.

(The first time your walls are shaking because there is 900 hundred pounds of meat on three men pounding on your door yelling if they have to break it down to get in they will kill somebody, you will realize that more rounds are much better than large bullets.., Even if they have the wrong door, they won't know it until they've penetrated it and done violence, unless meet with overwhelming force)
__________________
fwm
fwm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 12:24   #177
fwm
Senior Member
 
fwm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Near Central US
Posts: 2,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post
Because I say I'm going to carry a 45, I am somehow a deficient shooter?
There is a difference between a being a good shooter and sufficient at self defense. If one 7 round mag and one gun are all you have, how good a shooter you are may not be relevant. Have you ever found yourself up against three mad men, all at about 3 hundred pounds?

I have, and 15 rounds really seemed inadequate. Fortunately for me, they quickly recognized both my resolve and mag capacity.
__________________
fwm
fwm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 13:33   #178
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It
 
fnfalman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: California & New Mexico, US
Posts: 54,810


Quote:
Originally Posted by fwm View Post

(The first time your walls are shaking because there is 900 hundred pounds of meat on three men pounding on your door yelling if they have to break it down to get in they will kill somebody, you will realize that more rounds are much better than large bullets.., Even if they have the wrong door, they won't know it until they've penetrated it and done violence, unless meet with overwhelming force)
That's when I grab my shotgun loaded with buck and slugs.




Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
__________________
Can you dig it?
fnfalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 13:36   #179
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It
 
fnfalman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: California & New Mexico, US
Posts: 54,810


Quote:

But if .38 super is so awesome, I am surprised so many law enforcement agencies use it.

Underwood (notorious for being just about the hottest ammo you can buy right now) rates their .38 Super +P 124gr at 1350 fps. That is only about 100 fps faster than 9mm +P. Buffalo Bore is 1450 fps, but that only puts it in about .357 Sig territory. Not exactly a .44 magnum or anything.
The .38 super came nearly a hundred years before the 9mm+p and the .357 BS.

As far as what the cops carry, who cares? I can afford better choices.




Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
__________________
Can you dig it?
fnfalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 13:46   #180
Tiro Fijo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 5,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
The .38 super came nearly a hundred years before the 9mm+p and the .357 BS.

As far as what the cops carry, who cares? I can afford better choices...



The .38 Super was invented in 1929 and the first +p+ 9mm was approx. 1980. That would be about 50 yrs. The .357 SIG was from 1994.




You'll never get a girlfriend if you keep inflating your numbers by 50%.

Last edited by Tiro Fijo; 02-22-2014 at 15:43..
Tiro Fijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 18:49   #181
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It
 
fnfalman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: California & New Mexico, US
Posts: 54,810


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiro Fijo View Post
The .38 Super was invented in 1929 and the first +p+ 9mm was approx. 1980. That would be about 50 yrs. The .357 SIG was from 1994.




You'll never get a girlfriend if you keep inflating your numbers by 50%.
Rounding up method.


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
__________________
Can you dig it?
fnfalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 20:03   #182
"Cold Dead Hands" !
Senior Member
 
"Cold Dead Hands" !'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter won View Post
For concealed carry a .45 like the G30S or G39 are my favorite. For Police work. The high capacity G17 9mm with +P+ 127 grain. I like firepower for police work.
Yep, they both work.
So why bother with the big & slow .45.
..124gr. 9mm's are getting faster velocity every year, and getting closer to the speed of the ledgendary 125gr..357 magnum, which is still a better man-stopper than any .45.
and 9mm practice ammo is half the price of .45's.


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Last edited by "Cold Dead Hands" !; 02-22-2014 at 20:04..
"Cold Dead Hands" ! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 21:27   #183
mike0262p
Spider
 
mike0262p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 271
I agree with those who have said, "carry what ever you feel most comfortable with and what you can handle, if it's a 9mm, great, if it's a .45, great". If you have a good round, good shoot placement, you should have no problem.
__________________
Ye, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for thou art with me; my Glock 31, it comforts me...
_____________________________________________________
Behold, a pale horse, and it's rider's name was Death
mike0262p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 03:15   #184
happie2shoot
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
So I live with the restrictions because I have little choice. There is more to one's life than their gun rights. Yes, that is hard to swallow, especially for one that loves shooting & guns as much as I, but that is the reality. So my gun choice, totally diff than another because it has to be.
Wow, gun rights = freedom.

I have lived in many states, now 24 years in Idaho, you can have your big money and California life I will take freedom.

We have the libs moving here screwing things up like they
did in california, I spent most of my army time at fort ord ca. and learned all I needed to know about ca.

I have lived in 6 states not counting the army time, if I can
move anyone can, I value freedom more than riches.
happie2shoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 05:31   #185
Bren
NRA Life Member
 
Bren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 33,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
So I live with the restrictions because I have little choice. There is more to one's life than their gun rights. Yes, that is hard to swallow, especially for one that loves shooting & guns as much as I, but that is the reality. So my gun choice, totally diff than another because it has to be.
There may be more to life than gun rights, but it's all tied together. If you live in a place where an authoritarian government wants to disarm you, you can bet gun rights aren't your only problem. California, Illinois, New York, New Jersey and Mass. all illustrate exactly what I mean - besides loss of gun rights, look at the crime, economy, government restrictions and taxes on every aspect of your life. If you think gun rights aren't enough of a reason to move, you aren't really thinking about the big picture, or you are making excuses.

The richest man in North Korea still lives in North Korea.
__________________
If you are not an NRA member, you are not involved in gun rights, so sit down and shut the +%@# up.

Last edited by Bren; 02-23-2014 at 05:32..
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:47   #186
SDGlock23
Glockoholic
 
SDGlock23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Land of Forgetfulness
Posts: 7,506
I ran across this video on the net, caption says snow mobiler shoots and kills attacking moose with Glock. Can't really tell what model it is, looks like either a 27, 29 or 30 to me, it's a subcompact model though.

__________________
"Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance."

Last edited by SDGlock23; 02-25-2014 at 08:51..
SDGlock23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:29   #187
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa
 
Zombie Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Old Colorado City
Posts: 19,934
Damn. That was unfortunate. Least he could have done is finish what he started.
Zombie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 12:01   #188
happie2shoot
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGlock23 View Post
I ran across this video on the net, caption says snow mobiler shoots and kills attacking moose with Glock. Can't really tell what model it is, looks like either a 27, 29 or 30 to me, it's a subcompact model though.

LiveLeak.com - Snowmobiler gets attacked by moose
That made me have brown out in my shorts

I try to keep my gun more handy than that,
it would have been out and ready as soon as he did not
run away on first seeing me.
happie2shoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 12:02   #189
GlockWheeler
Senior Member
 
GlockWheeler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Steve View Post
Damn. That was unfortunate. Least he could have done is finish what he started.
I agree. Personally, I would not have continued to drive the beast down that path, especially after it charged the first time. I hope he at least went back and properly dispatched the wounded animal rather than leave it there wounded?
GlockWheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 12:51   #190
fwm
Senior Member
 
fwm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Near Central US
Posts: 2,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
That's when I grab my shotgun loaded with buck and slugs.




Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
That is the very reason I now have a 12 round mag AK chambered in 12ga. At the time I only had a 15 round .40
__________________
fwm
fwm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 13:04   #191
fredj338
Senior Member
 
fredj338's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: so.cal.
Posts: 21,164
Blog Entries: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fwm View Post
As one that has had to use his gun on several occasions to stop armed criminal action and violence from being perpetrated on me, I disagree. The ability to carry enough armament to defend myself has already proved itself to be valuable enough to dictate where I will or will not live. Love of shooting and gun rights doesn't matter, love of life does.
)
Well we do NOT disagree. The point, felony laws exist in my state on using normal cap mags. So I live within that restrictions. My options; move, go to jail, die in a LE shoot out over my mags. So living within the restrictions for now is the most prudent. Being a better shooter than 99% of the bad guys out there is my edge, not mag cap.
__________________
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 02-25-2014 at 13:04..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 13:14   #192
fredj338
Senior Member
 
fredj338's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: so.cal.
Posts: 21,164
Blog Entries: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
There may be more to life than gun rights, but it's all tied together. If you live in a place where an authoritarian government wants to disarm you, you can bet gun rights aren't your only problem. California, Illinois, New York, New Jersey and Mass. all illustrate exactly what I mean - besides loss of gun rights, look at the crime, economy, government restrictions and taxes on every aspect of your life. If you think gun rights aren't enough of a reason to move, you aren't really thinking about the big picture, or you are making excuses.

The richest man in North Korea still lives in North Korea.
Your opinion, but easily said for single guys. Once you have family, then you have to consider their well being as well. So yes, while it is all tied together, the tipping point hasn't come for me yet to throw the rest of my life away so I can own more than a 10rd mag?????
Idiologues on either side piss me off, left or right. A dogmatic view suspends commons sense. So while the 2A is great, it isn't my entire life. So yes, I will live in a state where family & a job exist until such a time I find it untenable. If that means I have to fight my way out, so be it. The part many of you miss is your state could just as easily run afoul of the same liberal BS that has happened here, just look at Co. Liberalism is a disease, it needs to be fought at every level, but needlessly sacrificing ones self for no gain, kinda foolish.
SO I live with the rules imposed for now, just like all of you at one level or another. We all hate paying taxes, but we do so we can keep what little freedom we have. It's about picking battles. So when the elections come around, don't stay home because your ideology isn't the same as the person that is running against the liberal parasite. There are NO liberal gun owners, you can't be both, pick a side.
__________________
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 02-25-2014 at 13:16..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 23:32.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 965
264 Members
701 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42