Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-20-2013, 21:37   #81
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MELE20C View Post
The poster is in Canada where he will be trusted to carry a gun on-duty (maybe) but not trusted with it off-duty.
It's that way in Hong Kong and Taiwan and a lot of other countries... heck, in parts of the world, including Ireland, cops are still working on duty without a gun. They have learned to live with it.

Of course, the fact that the local gangsters and triads just wait for you to come out the door of the station after you are off duty doesn't change the mind of the government.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 00:38   #82
Marlowe

I'll add this:

If, for some reason, you aren't carrying off duty, don't have your badge and ID with you. Carry weapon and LE ID together or not at all.

In the summer of '97, a couple of Los Angeles County Sheriff's Deputies went into a beauty parlor in the LA area. They were off duty...they were also an engaged couple. They stopped in just to visit with some friends.

A takeover robbery occurred. The two suspects proned everyone out and started searching the customers for loot.

Neither deputy was armed, but both had their ID.

When the male deputy was searched, the suspect found his LASD ID. He then executed the deputy, saying, as I recall, "this is for our friends at Men's Central" (a jail run by LASD).

They then searched the female deputy, found her LASD ID, but spared her, because, they said, she was a woman.

I was a new agent at the time. I went to the funeral. Heartbreaking to hear the survivor speak that day. The suspects were captured, but cold comfort that is.

Also, make sure you don't use a police ID case that includes a wallet. Carry a separate wallet, with no LE indicia.

Common sense stuff, really.

The hard part is maintaining that alert edge, year after year. The great enemy is complacency.

Last edited by Marlowe; 02-21-2013 at 00:43..
Marlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:27   #83
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlowe View Post
I'll add this:

If, for some reason, you aren't carrying off duty, don't have your badge and ID with you. Carry weapon and LE ID together or not at all.

In the summer of '97, a couple of Los Angeles County Sheriff's Deputies went into a beauty parlor in the LA area. They were off duty...they were also an engaged couple. They stopped in just to visit with some friends.

A takeover robbery occurred. The two suspects proned everyone out and started searching the customers for loot.

Neither deputy was armed, but both had their ID.

When the male deputy was searched, the suspect found his LASD ID. He then executed the deputy, saying, as I recall, "this is for our friends at Men's Central" (a jail run by LASD).

They then searched the female deputy, found her LASD ID, but spared her, because, they said, she was a woman.

I was a new agent at the time. I went to the funeral. Heartbreaking to hear the survivor speak that day. The suspects were captured, but cold comfort that is.

Also, make sure you don't use a police ID case that includes a wallet. Carry a separate wallet, with no LE indicia.

Common sense stuff, really.

The hard part is maintaining that alert edge, year after year. The great enemy is complacency.
Deputy Shane York. Remember it well.

Shane and his fiancee. Proned out. Executed with a bullet to the back of his head. And yes, the worthless scum said something like that... it was for his homies in county or something.

http://www.odmp.org/officer/14952-de...ne-daniel-york

That was used as a training topic for a long time about street survival and off duty awareness.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:39   #84
Marlowe

Thanks, Lawman800, for that link. Deputy Shane York, RIP.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:58   #85
smokeross
GTDS Member #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by lndshark View Post
Last summer I arrested a guy for criminal sexual conduct. At the time, he was a shift manager at a restaurant. Few weeks ago, I'm in Walmart and he's working there (awaiting trail). Didn't even bat an eye when I asked him where I could find the CLR...I, on the other hand, had a bit of a pucker going on.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
He didn't recognize you since you didn't have your hat on.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:10   #86
OfficerChris
L.A. fanboy

Send a message via ICQ to OfficerChris
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman800 View Post
Deputy Shane York. Remember it well.

Shane and his fiancee. Proned out. Executed with a bullet to the back of his head. And yes, the worthless scum said something like that... it was for his homies in county or something.

http://www.odmp.org/officer/14952-de...ne-daniel-york

That was used as a training topic for a long time about street survival and off duty awareness.
you know how many guns you have to carry when I visit

/posted from my mobile phone probably while sitting on the toilet/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
OfficerChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:14   #87
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OfficerChris View Post
you know how many guns you have to carry when I visit

/posted from my mobile phone probably while sitting on the toilet/
Don't remind me... my back still hurts from last time.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:30   #88
OfficerChris
L.A. fanboy

Quote:
Don't remind me... my back still hurts from last time.
worth
the
pain

btw - just a short offtopic:
Would it be allowed for me to carry a pepper spray or a folding knife during my visit?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 02-22-2013, 22:24   #89
Nestor
Lean & Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by MELE20C View Post
The poster is in Canada where he will be trusted to carry a gun on-duty (maybe) but not trusted with it off-duty. The Gov wants you armed to do their bidding and enforce their laws but they don`t give a rat`s ass what happens to you or your family when you`re on your own time. Even though any bad that befalls you will most likely be a direct result of action you took on their behalf while on duty. You can change your car, your clothes, your address and whatever. In this world now, if someone wants to find you they will. If you are targeted by a hard-core criminal or professional determined to do you or yours harm, the ONLY thing which might prevent it is the presence of a firearm under your control. Since that ship has already sailed, all I can say is practice your running, watch your six and good luck Gun Control - protecting the criminals from rightous retribution since... well... ever!
It's too early for me to comment on this post with the details, but at least in Western Canada, the described above problem is being slowly addressed. Not yet with the Sheriffs though, but hopefully it will change one day. I feel that at home I'm fairly safe, however out there - on the street and off duty, not so much. Ohh... well - life.
Thanks everyone again - just came back home for a weekend.
My body needs some repairs again.
Off to take some rest now.

R.I.P Jeff (23Skidoo), Chad (CJLandry) & Mark (Okie) You all will be missed.
Nestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 23:07   #90
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Quote:
worth
the
pain

btw - just a short offtopic:
Would it be allowed for me to carry a pepper spray or a folding knife during my visit?
Short folding knife under a certain size, yes.

Pepper spray, under a certain size, yes.

I'll ask around about it to be sure.
Old 02-23-2013, 03:24   #91
OfficerChris
L.A. fanboy

Quote:

I am a pepper spray fan. That would be fine.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:30   #92
Sam Spade
Lifetime Membership

Quote:

Are you nuts, or actually a boot in disguise?
"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle
Sam Spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 13:35   #93
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Spade View Post
[/b]

Are you nuts, or actually a boot in disguise?
To be honest... never encountered anyone carrying pepper spray in all my time... and pretty much every city and county has their own separate rules about knife length and pepper spray size, so I have to find out about Los Angeles city and county ordinance for OC canister size so he doesn't get in trouble for carrying the wrong size of pepper spray because I know what I have might not be what he can carry. I can always go to a gun store and just buy him the little tiny civilian one on a keychain for ten bucks that may or may not work.

I never sweated anyone about a folding knife though as long as the blade is under 3", which is a L.A. County thing. Everyone here carries a folding knife, so I wasn't worried about that, just the OC spray.

I tell ya, this is not as easy as it sounds, because CA is pretty nuts about regulating every other weapon. When OC first came out in the 90's for civilian carry, you had to attend a class and get a permit to even carry a little keychain spray, then no class or permit required, then you can only get it in a certain size, then the size went up, then the types got regulated, but the pepper spray craze went away and now, you never see it anymore... because too many places regulate it anyway, like clubs and school grounds and bars, where nothing is allowed.
Old 02-23-2013, 15:08   #94
OfficerChris
L.A. fanboy

Holy cow what the hell? I didnt expect the law to be that confusing. Its so easy here to carry a pepper spray. Nearly no laws, only the regulations by the property owner or service provider (public transport .. ) but even then its not really a problem.

I will just skip that and you dont have to spend your time thinking about all the unnecessary laws.

Old 02-23-2013, 15:28   #95
CJStudent
Fenced In

Send a message via AIM to CJStudent Send a message via Yahoo to CJStudent
Quote:
Holy cow what the hell? I didnt expect the law to be that confusing. Its so easy here to carry a pepper spray. Nearly no laws, only the regulations by the property owner or service provider (public transport .. ) but even then its not really a problem.

I will just skip that and you dont have to spend your time thinking about all the unnecessary laws.
It's California; you expected otherwise?

Quote:
The first round is a moral decision. All of the following rounds are tactical decisions.
CJStudent is offline   Reply With Quote