Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-26-2012, 13:39   #1
ctious

hap bullets. wondering about them

Anyone test them out for hunting? I am wondering because I feel they should penetrate better than a xtp but expand a lil more than hard cast. Kinda wondering if it would fill the hole between the 2.
ctious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 13:48   #2
99blkta

I haven't used them for hunting, sorry not much help there. However, I've shot several thousand of them so far. Quality is as expected accuracy is great. All I have to offer, hope it helps.
99blkta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 14:05   #3
ctious

I have 1000 of them. I would water test them but Its way to cold around here for that yet. LOL.
Old 02-26-2012, 19:27   #4
_The_Shadow
Ret. Fireman

The HAP's are said to be the same as the XTP's but without the slits for segmenting...
_The_Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 21:04   #5
ctious

Quote:
Originally Posted by _The_Shadow View Post
The HAP's are said to be the same as the XTP's but without the slits for segmenting...
That is y I am asking. They should expand a lil less than a xtp. But more than hardcast. I was kinda hoping someone on here would have tested them by now. I have an idea of what I want to use them for. Just waiting for nicer weather to test them.
Old 02-26-2012, 21:54   #6
RedHaze
Handgunner

While not 10mm HAP loads. I've tested the 125 gr .356 HAP up to ~1400fps.

All rounds were fired into wetpack from ~10feet.
125 gr HAP vs. 124 gr XTP both at ~1400fps
10mm Reloading Forum
HAP vs. XTP (notice the XTP is quite a ways over it's designed velocity window)
10mm Reloading Forum

.356 original diameter

.675 max expanded diameter
.604 min expanded diameter
10mm Reloading Forum
10mm Reloading Forum

Last edited by RedHaze; 02-26-2012 at 21:55..
RedHaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 14:19   #7
ctious

well i like how that looks.... i can push a 180 to about 1450... i am def going to have to try the hap out... the xtp at that speed over expands some...
Old 02-28-2012, 15:04   #8
frankt

Interesting posts. I have been loading the 180 XTP's for deer hunting but did not find a cooperative deer this past season.

I also bought a bunch of the 180 HAP bullets to shoot at the range and bust any coyotes or armadillas that I see while on the stand.

I am going bowhunting for hogs in a few weeks. The landowner has us hunting from stands but said during the middle of the day feel free to roam and kill hogs any way we wanted. I was planning on trying to get a few with my G29 with the XTP but if the HAP will stay solid and expand like that, I might carry them instead.

Semper Fi
frankt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 16:36   #9
SGT_Calle

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99blkta View Post
I haven't used them for hunting, sorry not much help there. However, I've shot several thousand of them so far. Quality is as expected accuracy is great. All I have to offer, hope it helps.
Same for me, except hundreds. I like them and accuracy is great.
Good luck!

Last edited by SGT_Calle; 02-28-2012 at 16:37..
SGT_Calle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 14:17   #10
gwsanfor

They are hands down my favorite target/competition bullet for 9mm, .40SW, 10mm, or anything else, for that matter. I stock up when I find them at a good price. I just bought 1900 (a case) of 180gr 10mm HAP from Widener's for $291, or $0.15 per bullet. Twice what the IMI 125gr FMJ sells for, and $0.03 more than Precision Delta 180gr FMJ, but well worth it if money is on the line.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

gwsanfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 15:53   #11
preventec47

I was thinking kinda along the same lines regarding a tougher bullet but still expanding a little bit at higher velocities but I was going to focus on the Speer 155gr FMJ bullet.
Everyone says the lead in the FMJ bullets is much softer than cast so I wanted to test some 155gr FMJs in water jugs to see if they mushroomed a little bit without exploding.

Is anyone aware of that kind of previous testing of copper jacketed FMJ type bullets ?

If they do not expand or deform any then I really cannot see all the big fuss with shooting hard cast bullets. I was told that if the FMJ bullets hit bone they will fragment and hard cast will not. Might have to shoot a ham bone in front of the water jugs etc. to check that out..
preventec47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 19:06   #12
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by preventec47 View Post
I was thinking kinda along the same lines regarding a tougher bullet but still expanding a little bit at higher velocities but I was going to focus on the Speer 155gr FMJ bullet.
Everyone says the lead in the FMJ bullets is much softer than cast so I wanted to test some 155gr FMJs in water jugs to see if they mushroomed a little bit without exploding.

Is anyone aware of that kind of previous testing of copper jacketed FMJ type bullets ?

If they do not expand or deform any then I really cannot see all the big fuss with shooting hard cast bullets. I was told that if the FMJ bullets hit bone they will fragment and hard cast will not. Might have to shoot a ham bone in front of the water jugs etc. to check that out..
I am not trying to talk you out of using FMJs if that is the direction you want to go. I am sure you could get them to work just fine. Unless you buy them in 1000 rounds, the cost is not too much better than a quality hard cast bullet.

If you were to dig around in a berm, you'd find a bunch of FMJ bullets that are all twisted and mangled - especially if you find one shot from a high-energy round like a 10mm. If you were to find a hard cast bullet, it is likely that they would look as if they could be reloaded (as I have seen from my own loads). The FMJs are characteristically asymmetrically deformed due to hitting the berm at an angle. This could cause deflection in an animal when striking bone. Whereas a flat point hard cast bullet tends to track straight.

twisted1 reported recently that the 200 gr WFNGC hard cast load he shot went through an entire hog and embedded a few inches into a tree. The carnage was pretty impressive. The bullet was not deformed. I doubt an FMJ would do the same. It might under the right circumstances, but not reliably like a hard cast.

Here is a good video on the subject:

Last edited by Taterhead; 03-11-2012 at 19:06..
Taterhead is offline   Reply With Quote