Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-15-2009, 20:46   #1
vrex

My dog died suddenly this morning....

Lucky was an 8 year old docile and kind lab/pitbull mix I rescued from a shelter for my parents in 2004. She was a happy dog,her health was good though she was a bit overweight. She had been acting very "clingy" to my father the last few days. Early this morning around 5am my parents called me, they were awakened by a deep, weak crying from the kitchen. and told me Lucky was on the kitchen floor and not responding, bleeding from her anus and fluid coming from her mouth. Within minutes, she was gone. She was due for her yearly vet appt. soon and was good at her last one other than being a bit heavy. Ive been reading on what could have caused this and think it might be gastric bloat, although nowhere do I see symptoms of anal bleeding associated with it. If anyone has any clue or knows an online source for information, it would be appreciated.

Last edited by vrex; 02-16-2009 at 22:44..
vrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 21:44   #2
deadday

I'm sorry brother...
There's one less tornado in Texas, a saddle is empty tonight...There's one hell of a cowboy in heaven, at the big rodeo in the sky. RIP LCpl Blake Wafford, Spc. Devon Gibbons, PFC Dean Bright, SSg Brian Craig. In the field we had a code of honor: you watch my back, I watch yours. Back here there's NOTHING.
deadday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 21:45   #3
scoose
Nugent for prez

Send a message via MSN to scoose Send a message via Yahoo to scoose
RIP Lucky
scoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 22:02   #4
sdglock22

Sorry for your loss, it really sux to lose a trusted friend.
sdglock22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 22:07   #5
Javelin
Silver Membership
Got Glock?

Sorry to hear about your doggy.
Disclaimer: This writer is not a lawyer. This product is meant for entertainment and fan or political fiction purposes only and writer accepts no liability. All material should be considered as infotainment only. Writer does not own any characters, topics or subject matter in this story. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is for entertainment only. If rash, irritation, redness, or swelling develops, discontinue reading immediately and consult your physician.
Javelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 22:45   #6
sdsnet
CLM Number 43
NRA Member

The dog in my avatar, Toby died suddenly at the age of nine. He was always highly allergic, we had his blood tested and he was allergic to basically everything - grass, wheat, eggs etc. We gave him cortizone shots occasionally and benadryl as well. He had been scratching a bunch at night in our bedroom night after night. One night I decided we needed a break and I shut our bedroom door before he could come to bed with us.

The next morning my wife found him dead outside my son's bedroom door. My son was up late that night and said he saw him sitting there just staring at our bedroom door from the area outside his bedroom. He petted him and then went to bed himself. He died in his sleep as he was laying down on his side when we found him.

I took his body to the vet and asked him to please find out what happened if possible. Our vet was a very nice older man that didn't charge much especially in a situation like this. In fact he didn't charge me to do the autopsy and he only charged me $15 to give him a group burial with other dogs. The vet said he found that he had an aneurism in his stomach and bled out from the inside. He told me that it was nothing that we had done or could have prevented as it is a problem that some retrievers are born with. It was so upsetting. I miss him to this day and that was ten years ago.

The last time I had taken him to the vet he told me that he wasn't going to live much longer and that retrievers often do not live past the age of ten. He was such a sweet dog and was super loyal.

They don't live very long but they sure bring joy and love to our lives. I'm sorry for your loss.

Maybe after awhile you can rescue another one that needs a good home.
Ham Shack Club # 1995
Walther Club # 1995

-My username has nothing to do with Students for Democratic Society-
sdsnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 05:13   #7
Blitzer
Cool Cat

Send a message via AIM to Blitzer Send a message via Yahoo to Blitzer
Old 02-16-2009, 07:17   #8
Patricia
CLM Number 180
Wild at heart

I'm so sorry for your loss.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:32   #9
MrsKitty

I'm sorry.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:45   #10
pesticidal
CLM Number 181
Eh?

Send a message via Yahoo to pesticidal

Old 02-16-2009, 12:12   #11
rugercat78

vrex, so sorry for your loss. You are in my prayers
Old 02-16-2009, 12:58   #12
Zonny

Terrible thing to wake to. I'm sorry...
Old 02-16-2009, 13:12   #13
Deployment Solu
Kydex Crafter

Sorry for your loss. I know your pain. We had to put down a 12 year old Basset that suddenly went downhill recently. Liver problems, fluid in the lungs, difficulty breathing, nothing that could be done.

May your pet rest in peace!!!

The world needs less victims and more victors!!!!!
Deployment Solu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 17:39   #14
Platz

Oh my goodness, I can not even imagine....

I am so sorry.
Old 02-16-2009, 18:17   #15
HK-N-THE-HOUSE
Silver Membership

Nothing hurts like the loss of a best friend , Sorry.
HK-N-THE-HOUSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 18:21   #16
chuck pullen

Very sorry for your loss. Did your dog chew up some sizeable bones in the last day or so? Our dachshund did a ham hock several months ago and it caused him very serious pain, w/ anal bleeding, for 2 days, but he pulled thru.
chuck pullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 19:20   #17
Cody Jarrett

My beloved GSD died two years ago. She would have given her life to protect us without hesitation. She was my constant companion, protector and daughter... only she had four feet and fur. I had her cremated and she still sits atop my fireplace mantle in an earn. My condolences to your family as these are nothing short of children to us. Although I now have a wonderful young border collie I can't part with my little one's ashes. So she stays forever.

Last edited by Cody Jarrett; 02-16-2009 at 19:22..
Cody Jarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 19:44   #18
RLB

Sorry for your loss. RIP Lucky.
RLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 22:30   #19
dkbrucedvm

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrex View Post
If anyone has any clue or knows an online source for information, it would be appreciated.
Just guessing, but possibilities include:

- A mesenteric or intestinal torsion (the intestines get twisted around the mesenteric root),

- An intestinal intusseception (the intestine telescopes within itself, often at the junction between the small and large intestines, with or without a foreign object in the intestine)

- Maybe a bloat (gastric dilation with volvulus). But as you mention, those are upper GI, so they don't usually have any rectal signs at all.

Other possibilities would include toxin ingestion, splenic torsion, or hemorrhagic gastroenteritis. But splenic torsions don't usually have blood or fluid involved, and hemorrhagic gastroenteritis usually has a LOT of vomiting and bloody diarrhea.

Without a post-mortem examination, it's tough to say.

Sorry for your loss. What a shock!
"I urge you to beware the temptation of pride -- the temptation of blithely declaring yourselves above it all and label both sides equally at fault, to ignore the facts of history and the aggressive impulses of an evil empire..." - Ronald Regan
dkbrucedvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 22:47   #20
vrex

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkbrucedvm View Post
Just guessing, but possibilities include:

- A mesenteric or intestinal torsion (the intestines get twisted around the mesenteric root),

- An intestinal intusseception (the intestine telescopes within itself, often at the junction between the small and large intestines, with or without a foreign object in the intestine)

- Maybe a bloat (gastric dilation with volvulus). But as you mention, those are upper GI, so they don't usually have any rectal signs at all.

Other possibilities would include toxin ingestion, splenic torsion, or hemorrhagic gastroenteritis. But splenic torsions don't usually have blood or fluid involved, and hemorrhagic gastroenteritis usually has a LOT of vomiting and bloody diarrhea.

Without a post-mortem examination, it's tough to say.

Sorry for your loss. What a shock!
Thanks. do you think this could be some kind of poisoning? I'm not certain. I was thinking hemorrhagic gastroenteritis . Either way it is very sad. Thank you everyone for your kind responses.