SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-20-2009, 23:34   #1
30brandon

Firearms Instruction Wanted

Hi Everyone,

I have grown up around guns and usually try to make it to the range one every 1-2 weeks. I feel I have fairly good groups, but have a few bad habits and would like to get some additional instruction. I usally shoot at Sam's Gun Range. It would be nice to get some pointers from an expert. Maybe we can work out a special deal for help. I know it comes down to basics, basics, basics and practice, practice, practice. If you have the knowledge and the time, once every 1-2 weeks. Please drop me a line.

Thanks,

Brandon
30brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 10:21   #2
jdcaples

I'm not certain "bad habits" require regular sessions to exterminate.

What bad habits are of concern?

This is my story:

I'm left handed. I had some bad habits, in part because I'm right-eye dominant.

* picking up the gun with my weak hand (strong eye), inserting the mag with my strong hand and then switching hands to rack the slide with my weak hand.

+ the gun should be picked up with the strong hand and - with your trigger finger indexed, the gun should not leave your strong hand until you're going to put it down or holster it

* I never remembered to put my index finger of my weak hand on the first (top) round in the magazine.

+ Placing your index finger of your weak hand on the top round makes certain that your "weak hand trigger finger" is occupied. It tells your body that the mag is in the correct position for insertion while the slide and frame are secured by your strong hand.

Those were two of my flaws. An 8 hour instruction class (basic gun safety) at Insights Training revealed those (along with some grip adjustments).

To rid myself of those bad habits, it was - as you say - practice, practice, practice.

I'd rather see you take a basic safety course.

If any shooter thinks "basic instruction" is beneath him, if he believes that he can learn nothing by reviewing the fundamentals in a class room setting - listening to instructor and student comments - he's either exceptional or delusional.

Safe firearms handling is a practice, a discipline, not a one-time "passed-the-class-haven't-shot-myself-yet-so-I'm-golden-and-I-can-forget-about-it" situation.

Every person that handles a firearm has something to teach someone else.

Every person that has never handled a firearm has something to teach a seasoned professional shooter (though it's usually something along the lines of human nature or a rare human habit or unique observation/thought).

A conscientious shooter/weapons-handler will find something of value in everyone's story.

G19 - 3rd Gen - Factory Test Fired 19 June 2008

Last edited by jdcaples; 01-26-2009 at 11:34..
jdcaples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 00:55   #3
30brandon

Thanks Jon, I appreciated your insights. Speaking of insights, what did you think of the training you received a insights? That is on my list of to do's for 2009. I already got set up for Thunder Ranch this summer. I shoot regularly, and are failry accurate. I can get all 8 rounds of my 1911 in a fist size from 30ft. But I can't get nearly the same results from my Glocks. I want me to be accurate, not the gun. I know I have some bad habits, but have yet to find them all. That is why I wanted to find and expert to assist me in finding them and correcting them.
30brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 08:07   #4
jdcaples

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30brandon View Post
Thanks Jon, I appreciated your insights. Speaking of insights, what did you think of the training you received a insights? That is on my list of to do's for 2009. I already got set up for Thunder Ranch this summer. I shoot regularly, and are failry accurate. I can get all 8 rounds of my 1911 in a fist size from 30ft. But I can't get nearly the same results from my Glocks. I want me to be accurate, not the gun. I know I have some bad habits, but have yet to find them all. That is why I wanted to find and expert to assist me in finding them and correcting them.
30Brandon, you're very welcome.

Insights Training is the best classroom work I've experienced. They are methodical, consistent, emphasis proper safety and proper technique, but you do share the time - a whole day - with a class. One on one attention isn't as plentiful and they run you through an array of guns so you learn how to disarm, a several types of weapons, load each weapon, hold a each weapon and shoot the weapon. It will give you confidence and adjust your grip, but from what you're telling me, you need one-on-one instruction.

Shooting Sports Northwest offers personal training. It's not cheap, but it is one-on-one.

I've taken informal lessons from Alfred at SSNW. He is very good and very patient. He will stand with you in the lane, touch your shoulder when he wants to see an adjustment; he'll adjust your grip, your stance, tell you what you're doing wrong with your eyes, align your wrist. His correctiosn are firm, but gentle, encouraging w/o tolerating improper technique.

Wades Guns offers a place for personal instructors as well. As far as I know, they are not "Wade's" employees, but certified fire arms instructors that will spend one-on-one time helping you develop proper habits.

I simply prefer SSNW's facility. You can call Insights, Wades or SSNW and talk to someone about private lessons. I'm not sure if Insights instructors have the time to for one-one-one training, but it's worth asking. They're a family-ish kind of business. In a classroom setting, instructors razz each other like siblings, but there is also an established pecking order that does not interfer with organized, authoritative knowledge transfer.

I just found this last night on the NRA site. This might be the course for you. I encourage you to check it out. I don't have any experience with Sam's gun range or Rollin Shatto, but it sounds taylor made for you.

Everett - Sunday, February 22, 2009, Sam's Gun Shop and Indoor Range, $90
Rollin Shatto, 425-870-8602. , rollies2@comcast.net
Class types: Basic Pistol

Course Notes:
All ammunition and firearms will be supplied if you do not own any. Please bring you own personnal firearms if you own them so you can be intructed on them.

G19 - 3rd Gen - Factory Test Fired 19 June 2008
jdcaples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 20:17   #5
Kendall13

Kind of far, but I really liked Seattle Firearms Academy in Chehalis, WA. They taught me all the basics of safe handling, laws, and stance. They sometimes offer free classes. Just throwing that in there if you might be interested. Nice folks there. I hold to their good teachings to this day.
Kendall13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 10:16   #6
Boyd

I'm biased in favor of NRA instruction but, after you've exhausted us places like Firearms Academy of Seattle, or other commercial schools are great. NRA course locater is a link near the bottom of this page:
http://www.nrahq.org/education/Train...ictraining.asp
Boyd Kneeland (NRA TC, EVC, FoNRA volunteer)
Boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 16:38   #7
doug piston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd View Post
I'm biased in favor of NRA instruction but, after you've exhausted us places like Firearms Academy of Seattle, or other commercial schools are great. NRA course locater is a link near the bottom of this page:
http://www.nrahq.org/education/Train...ictraining.asp
Boyd Kneeland (NRA TC, EVC, FoNRA volunteer)

are you an instructor??? i dont know the NRA short hand lingo
doug piston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 11:27   #8
Boyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug piston View Post
are you an instructor??? i dont know the NRA short hand lingo
Sorry, yes. TC is training counselor (i'm an instructor and I teach people to become isntructors. EVC is election volunteer coordinator (political - wa-08 here http://www.nraila.org/ActionCenter/GetInvolvedLocally/ ). and FoNRA is Friends of NRA, the charitable foundation that fundraises for all their stuff. This is all just volunteer stuff anyone can do. http://www.friendsofnra.org/ -Boyd
Old 01-29-2009, 21:00   #9
doug piston

where do you instruct at??? do you do private?
doug piston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 09:17   #10
Boyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug piston View Post
where do you instruct at??? do you do private?
I instruct at http://wcwinc.org/ and at http://svrifle.com/

I've been doing that for just over ten years and have yet to teach a private lesson. From the instructors perspective you can really leverage your effort by having more then one student; people learn by asking questions and those other students provide more of a variety of perspectives to ask questions from that might benefit you. From the students perspective you want more then one instructor (varying styles, tone of voice, presentation tools etc) and (for the instructors reason) more then one student in the NRA classes that I teach. And from my perspective... I won't bore you with my usual instructors list rant about insurance.

If you have a background in this you might just be looking for coaching. For that I'd go to an IPSC or IDPA match if you want combat style/timed experience or to one of Kenmores slow fire matches if you want to build precision. Renton Fish and Game runs an -excellent- "IDPA beginners class" that was started by my friend and long time HSLD shooter Sandy Wylie. I'm sure that, in addition to that, you can find local resources to coach you. In fact, I'll forward this thread to a friend I teach with at kenmore. I believe he's an NRA certified shotgun coach but he might know if there are handgun coaches in the area. -Boyd

NRA classes can be found anywhere in the country using this link: http://www.nrahq.org/education/training/find.asp
Old 02-05-2009, 21:10   #11
ikon425

Thanks Jon thats a good reading.
ikon425 is offline   Reply With Quote