Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-17-2009, 13:11   #1
jcs1857

Is 30 too late?

Is 30 to late for the Air Force. I hate my current job and am considering joining the Air Force. I have a Bachelor's degree and getting myself back in shape. Thoughts and opinions appreciated
jcs1857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 14:22   #2
Rocknropes

you will have to get an age waiver if you're enlisting, but if you're going for Officer, you're within the age range. If you read my post you'll see that I just got selected for AF officer training school! I just found out today!!! If you would like some info on the process I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have.
Rocknropes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 16:45   #3
question mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcs1857 View Post
Is 30 to late for the Air Force. I hate my current job and am considering joining the Air Force. I have a Bachelor's degree and getting myself back in shape. Thoughts and opinions appreciated
LOL, I hate the Air Force and can't wait to get out in 4 more years, I wonder if we could just trade jobs. How much ya make.
Freedom is not defined by safety. Freedom is defined by the ability of citizens to live without government interference. Government cannot create a world without risks, nor would we really wish to live in such a fictional place. Only a totalitarian society would even claim absolute safety as a worthy ideal, because it would require total state control over its citizensí lives. Liberty has meaning only if we still believe in it when terrible things happen and a false government security blanket beckons.

Dr. Paul
question mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 17:31   #4
Rocknropes

Quote:
Originally Posted by question mark View Post
LOL, I hate the Air Force and can't wait to get out in 4 more years, I wonder if we could just trade jobs. How much ya make.
can I ask what you do in the Air Force? Most people I've talked to love or loved it so it's interesting for me to hear the stories of why people hate it. If you don't mind...
Old 02-17-2009, 17:34   #5
scoose
Nugent for prez

Send a message via MSN to scoose Send a message via Yahoo to scoose
For the Air Force??? Heck no!

Just get a waiver and start your new career ( unless of course you are going to OCS...no waiver needed at your age )
scoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 17:34   #6
Javelin
Silver Membership
Got Glock?

No waiver necessary. Go for it
Disclaimer: This writer is not a lawyer. This product is meant for entertainment and fan or political fiction purposes only and writer accepts no liability. All material should be considered as infotainment only. Writer does not own any characters, topics or subject matter in this story. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is for entertainment only. If rash, irritation, redness, or swelling develops, discontinue reading immediately and consult your physician.
Javelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 00:17   #7
question mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocknropes View Post
can I ask what you do in the Air Force? Most people I've talked to love or loved it so it's interesting for me to hear the stories of why people hate it. If you don't mind...
For about ten years I thought the AF was anywhere between ok - love it. Then I got married and had kids and all that changed, especially after having kids.

What I don't like specifically about the AF. The hours, I'm an aircraft mechanic and we work long hours, 12 1/2 to 13 is the norm where I'm currently working. That and we rotate between nights and days so when I'm nights I'm exactly 12 hours opposite of the rest of the world. I hate it when my daughter hangs on my legs crying because she hasn't seen me for more than 10 minutes over the last week and wants me to stay home and eat dinner but I have to go to work.

The travel is double edged, yeah it is cool to be able to travel abroad, but I'm a big family person. My kids are 4 and 2 and haven't seen their Grandparents in coming up on 2 years. I really feel bad for the Grandparents.

This gripe is kind of hard to describe, but with drawdowns they just keep piling more crap on you that used to be someone else is job. Now with the internet everything is online and it is up to you to figure it out, be it scheduling your annual physical to explosive awareness safety. Find it online and don't bust your deadline of getting it done.

The new PT, I'd love it if I had an 8 to 5 job and could do squadron PT on duty hours like 75% of the Air Force. Instead we are expected to do it when things are "slow" at work. I scream not fair since that crap goes on our EPR's now and lots and lots of people get to do PT on NORMAL duty hours and bounce in to work late, we are told that if the maintenance has a lull, hit the gym.

Losing days off for ________. The only thing that motivates me is knowing that tomorrow I'll be off and I'll be able to see the kids. But sometimes there is something more important going on, it kills me.

Dealing with "the bad kids". It kills me dealing with the dumbies that can't make it to work on time and not be hung over. It tires me to have to repeat myself night after night on maintenance 101, are the brakes set on that stand? did you start a new H with your BPO?, did you replace the oil that you used off the jet?, I know those things may mean nothing to you but it is akin to asking a secretary " is there paper in the printer "

Base housing, even if the homes are nice, you still live around 20 fat women with little better to do than be fat, nosey, and gossipy. In most places you can live off base, but right now we have no choice and are on base and I believe at our next assignment we are going to be on base as well.

The biggest thing though is family, the AF is family friendly compared to the other services and even though we have it better than a lot of people, it is stressfull on the wife, the kids, and me.

So as not to be completely negative I have a job, the four of us are going to have some cool memories, some cool pics, some cool souveneirs, and will be able to appreciate a dull, boring, civilians life in 4 or so years.
Freedom is not defined by safety. Freedom is defined by the ability of citizens to live without government interference. Government cannot create a world without risks, nor would we really wish to live in such a fictional place. Only a totalitarian society would even claim absolute safety as a worthy ideal, because it would require total state control over its citizensí lives. Liberty has meaning only if we still believe in it when terrible things happen and a false government security blanket beckons.

Dr. Paul
question mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 07:44   #8
scoose
Nugent for prez

Send a message via MSN to scoose Send a message via Yahoo to scoose
Don't knock it too hard man!!

I had more time off in the Corps than I will ever have again. 96+ hour pass for each holiday. 1 or 2 weeks leave during Christmas. 4 weeks of vacation per year on top of all the time off. As a Marine I worked 50-60 hours a week but I had ALMOST every weekend off. As a civialian I am scheduled 60 hours a week and usually work over that. I get no holidays off, no weekends off and a day off is never guaranteed.

Sounds backwards doesn't it??

I have 3 kids and my middle child made the comment in casual conversation..."since dad is never here can we make plans to"....

As far as your neighbors, sounds like the typical base housing neighborhood....unfortunately!!

QOL was 1000 times better in the service than in civilain life. DAMN my busted up knee! This would have been my 18th year....

Last edited by scoose; 02-18-2009 at 10:11..
scoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 20:03   #9
Rocknropes

While at my recruiter's office, he read aloud an email he got from higher ups. It basically stated that since so many people are interested in enlisting they can be more picky so they are no longer accepting age waivers, and you have to be at least 10lbs from your max weight. Just thought you should know. Could be different elsewhere, however.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:28   #10
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

Yup.

30 requires a waiver, 28 is the cutoff. If you're going reserves, 35 is the cutoff.

I had a 34 yr old in BMT with me, a 31 year old in tech with me (and another 34 year old running around somewhere on a different team). I was 27, turned 28 in tech school, and I was considered a grandpa.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 16:30   #11
slaytera666

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMurphy View Post
Yup.

30 requires a waiver, 28 is the cutoff. If you're going reserves, 35 is the cutoff.

I had a 34 yr old in BMT with me, a 31 year old in tech with me (and another 34 year old running around somewhere on a different team). I was 27, turned 28 in tech school, and I was considered a grandpa.
You have to figure though 80% of 28 year olds in the military have been in for 10 years. Thats halfway to retirement.
slaytera666 is offline   Reply With Quote