SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-23-2009, 19:08   #1
sopdan
In Expatistan

Any bowyers around here?

Just started making my first red oak board bow, and was wondering if there's anybody else here that makes their own bows.

I'm making this one more or less all with hand tools out of a 1x2x6 from Lowe's. My ambition is to someday build a nice R/D longbow, kind of like this guy did.
sopdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 19:15   #2
noway

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopdan View Post
Just started making my first red oak board bow, and was wondering if there's anybody else here that makes their own bows.

I'm making this one more or less all with hand tools out of a 1x2x6 from Lowe's. My ambition is to someday build a nice R/D longbow, kind of like this guy did.
try tradgang.com or primitive archer magazine. Great tips and information on the selfbow.
noway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 19:27   #3
sopdan
In Expatistan

Yup, I spent a bit of time browsing tradgang and other sites before starting this bow. My dad and I got into the traditional style about a year ago, and we both find it much more fun/rewarding than shooting compounds.
sopdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 19:15   #4
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

My brother and I , a few years back made long bows for a while, and some were used to win trophy cups with at tournements, (buy customers of his). We started out, for fun, and for our self, but it turned into a big deal. I quit, cause I did not have the time, and he stuck with it and made serious , very serious long bows, and semi-recurves, I call them. All kinds of wood, from Bodark, (osage orange), to bubinga, and purple heart, and other exotics, down to good old maple.

I can say that we turned out some long bows that shot as fast, and some faster, that production recurves by Martin, and Bear etc....

We stayed with 62 to 64" max, because energy was wasted in lengths over 64". Some peolpe to not realize it, but it is quite easy to hunt with a 64" bow. I guess easier for me cause i grew up shooting recurves and stick bows, but it really is not bad at all. I personally like 62" in both recurve and longbow.

You can do this, and if you are handy with your hands, and got a good eye, and use the right materials, you can turn out a good bow. Knowledge of wood, and flex, and tiller, will be the biggest help to you... Study some good articles on bow making by the old bowyers, and listen to their advice...

I really wish you well, it is fun, and very rewarding to make your own. Sounds like your off to a good start. Make sure you have a good strong riser, and blend the limbs in ver well. Trial and error will be your friend, and if one or two, or three, go "BANG," when you pull them back.... Don't give up or get discouraged. Look up some suppliers, and try to find some osage orange for the riser, and at least maple for the limbs to start, then laminate them to suit your needs. You can work up to bamboo, and other stuff later, once you get the grip of things...

You will do well I am sure...

Good luck
Good bow building.

CanyonMan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Jesus said: You who are without sin cast the first stone.. John 8: 7
CanyonMan is offline   Reply With Quote