SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-25-2009, 19:11   #1
KYMike
9mm Apologist

Used Single Actions in the wild?

(This may sound strange on GT, so a little background.)

My dad always said if I worked hard, one day I would meet my "needs" and have time and money left for some of my "wants." (My folks weren't exactly wealthy, though they always met our needs, and some of our wants. But he didn't want me to forget the "wants" I couldn't have, either. I'd always have something to work for. Obviously the old man was much smarter than I gave him credit for way back when.) I've decided it's time to hunt down some childhood "wants" and go shooting them with my dad while I still can. And honestly.....what all-American boy didn't want a "cowboy gun"?

The thing is....I haven't been able to find many Single Actions out in the wild lately. I'm actually seeking a used shooter, but even new they're not exactly plentiful. One shop told me they're concentrating on stocking new autos due to "New World Order" concerns (which makes perfect sense). But apparently folks aren't trading their old six-shooters to hoard the autos.

Has anyone noticed in their travels a shop in KY that seems to have a decent collection of Ruger Blackhawks and/or Single Sixes? I'm sure A&M could find some if they don't have one, but they typically deal in rarer variants with collector interest, and I just want a basic shooter in each model. Any leads would be greatly appreciated if you've happened to see a stash or know of a shop that tends to deal in them.

I guess there's always Gun Day....but I could probably do better pricewise in a shop before (or even more likely after) the show. Thanks!

Niners Club- #0101, 1911 Club- #0101,
GT Ham Shack- #101, Snubbie Club- #101

Last edited by KYMike; 02-25-2009 at 19:20..
KYMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 07:49   #2
Berretta9

Wellll...... just so happens I was in a local gun store the other day looking for a 1911 double stack wide body with a shorter barrell. No such luck but I did see a case full of John Wayne lookin' six shooters. Beretta's, Cimmeron and yes the elusive Ruger. The store was Shooters Supply and usually they are on the very high side price wise. This visit they seemed to be a little more reasonable. Hell the gun I went in to see was even on sale, but alas a single stack is just too narrow for my hands.
Berretta9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 19:52   #3
willgunsforme

You might try Whittakerguns in Owensboro. they usually carry a good supply.
willgunsforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 20:02   #4
KYMike
9mm Apologist

Thanks guys. I'll be sure to add them to list of must sees. I've been meaning to check out both of those anyway. It seems like when I wasn't looking for them, there was two in every case of every shop. Once I started looking, I couldn't find one anywhere. Isn't that the way... :-). Thanks again.

Old 02-26-2009, 20:47   #5
Houngan

Hey Mike, I might have a New Blackhawk for sale, .357 with a 5-inch barrel. Let me know if you're interested.

H.
Houngan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 22:11   #6
SDGlock23
Glockoholic

There may be some in Danville at cook's collectables. I sold one there a while back, but everytime I stop by there, he's got some SA's.
Old 03-02-2009, 20:28   #7
B+Shooter
Last Man Out!

I think I've seen some things at Bud's in Paris and Oakwood in Louisville
Old 03-02-2009, 22:09   #8
KYMike
9mm Apologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by B+Shooter View Post
I think I've seen some things at Bud's in Paris and Oakwood in Louisville
The problem I've had with Bud's is they've refused to deal lately, even on used. Not to single them out, but they've got enough business right now that they can say, "If you don't like the price, someone else will buy it."

But back to the hunt...I'm really surprised what a difference a week makes. I found some really nice deals this weekend. For now, I'll wait to see what's in Louisville for Nat'l Gun Day. Thanks again, y'all!!