Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-26-2009, 14:01   #1
TMann

Another P9 Covert modification

The Kahr P9 is my standard IWB carry gun, and it is one of my all-time favorite handguns. It is small, thin, light and reliable, but it shoots like a bigger gun, (at least it does for us small-handed folks.) It's very accurate and the recoil is quite reasonable for a sub-compact.

Unfortunately, the P9 is just a bit to large for pocket carry. It actually fits just fine in my Eddie Bauer brand jeans, but the longish grip makes it almost impossible to draw smoothly from a front pocket. So for a while now, I've carried my P3AT whenever I've needed to pocket carry. I like the P3AT; it's amazingly small, and mine has been very reliable. However, I kept wishing for something that shot a more powerful round than the .380.

I considered getting a PM9, or maybe a lightweight J-frame for pocket carry. But when I ended up with a second P9, I started considering doing a grip modification that would turn the stock P9 into a P9 Covert. A P9 Covert would give me the short grip of a PM9, but the longer sight radius of a P9. Also, having a P9 Covert would allow me to share holsters with my other P9.

There have been a few different threads from people that have done this modification, and I made use of the great description that mini14jac included in his post, (see link here.) So...last night I did the deed and turned my P9 into a P9 covert. The key step in this modification is to make sure that you don't cut it too short on the first step, (I used a hacksaw.) Then it becomes a simple matter of sanding down the grip length until the short PM9 mag fits properly. I spent a fair amount of time with a pocket knife, some files and some fine sandpaper to get a nice bevel on the bottom of my grip. I haven't taken it to the range yet to test out the new magazines.

So there she is. The newly modified P9 slips easily into and out of my pocket. Also, I may end up using it in my IWB holster during the summer. The shorter grip will be less likely to print under a light T-shirt than the standard P9 grip. I'm pretty happy with the way that it turned out. The beveled edges aren't perfectly symetrical, but they look pretty close to a stock Kahr grip.

TMann

Kahr Club
Kahr Club
Kahr Club
Kahr Club
TMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 14:02   #2
TMann

Here's a few more photos of the standard and the modified P9's:

Kahr Club
Kahr Club
Kahr Club
Old 02-26-2009, 14:45   #3
Substance-P

Looks good. Great work!
Substance-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 15:24   #4
ddc

Looks good.

Every time I read one of these stories about the P9 Covert modification I have an irrational desire to run to the gun store, buy a P9, take it home, and cut the grip down.

One of these days I'm not going to able to fight it off.
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 17:32   #5
AZ Traveler

I own a P40 Covert and love it. I keep thinking about getting a P45 and making it a Covert.
Colt Pocket 1903 32 ACP / KelTec P32
SASS Member / NRA Member / Kahr Club # 22
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 17:49   #6
dstewart73

Looks Great. Nice job. I too am a convert from the PM40 to a P40 covert.
The 1/2 inch on the barrel gives such a nice sight line.
dstewart73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 14:40   #7
ipscshooter
Mostly IDPA now

Good job. Looks like my factory P9 Covert except my slide is stainless. Too bad the factory quit making them.

I'm considering doing that to my TP45 and making it 6+1. That 7 round grip is a bear to conceal.
NRA Life,USPSA Life,IDPA Member
ipscshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 02:49   #8
TMann

Thanks for the compliments. I'm pleased with the way it turned out.

However, I did have to shave off a bit more of the grip last evening. I took my new Covert out to the range on Saturday, and I discovered that the 7-round magazine with the mag extension wasn't seating quite properly. It appeared to click into the grip just fine, but in reality, it wasn't fully inserted into the gun. When I tried to load the first round from the magazine, the slide was difficult to rack, and the first round would get hung up on the feed ramp. (The 6-rd magazine feed just fine, since the baseplate is shaped differently.) If you look closely at the third picture from the top, you can actually see that the plastic baseplate is pressing up against the bottom of the grip; there is supposed to be a millimeter or so of clearance. Now that the grip is fixed, the first round chambers just fine.

TMann
Old 06-20-2009, 10:00   #9
E5MC

Did you take more off the frame or a little off the mag base?

"Every man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats" H.L Mencken
E5MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 10:52   #10
War Hammer

I hadn't seen this thread before. Really nice job! I wish Kahr still made the Coverts.

Question... Could you replace the metal baseplate on the PM9 mag with the plastic finger rest baseplate from a standard P9 mag? I thought that this might help with grip and control a little since the Covert-sized frame will only allow a two-fingered grip. Anyone tried this? If so, is it an improvement?
War Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 23:54   #11
G20-IWB24/7
Mortician

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Hammer View Post
I hadn't seen this thread before. Really nice job! I wish Kahr still made the Coverts.

Question... Could you replace the metal baseplate on the PM9 mag with the plastic finger rest baseplate from a standard P9 mag? I thought that this might help with grip and control a little since the Covert-sized frame will only allow a two-fingered grip. Anyone tried this? If so, is it an improvement?
You can, but the mag will not seat fully on a PM-length gun, so the only way I've been able to do it is to thin out the top of the plastic portion so it seats a little better. A flat surface and some sandpaper is the easiest way to accomplish this. And it does work to give a third finger worth of leverage (but only for those with small hands, like ME!)
Old 06-21-2009, 09:29   #12
E5MC

I plan on doing this mod myself very soon as well as drifting Heinie STR8 Eight sights in. Should make for an excellent pocket rocket. Is there a sight pusher available for Kahr pistols?

"Every man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats" H.L Mencken
Old 06-21-2009, 12:40   #13
G20-IWB24/7
Mortician

Quote:
Originally Posted by E5MC View Post
I plan on doing this mod myself very soon as well as drifting Heinie STR8 Eight sights in. Should make for an excellent pocket rocket. Is there a sight pusher available for Kahr pistols?
A universal one should work, or you can just go over to LEEDS on 6th Ave (I see you're in Tacoma) and have them toss them in for you. That's who's put sights on my Kahrs in the past.
Old 06-21-2009, 13:40   #14
War Hammer

I really like this modification. I'm thinking that my next purchase is going to be a P45, and I'll give it the Covert treatment. When used with an extended mag with the spacer floorplate, It should pretty much offer the same grip as the unaltered pistol. Am I right on this?
War Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 15:25   #15
AZ Traveler

Yes, when using the extended mag for the PM45 (6 Round) with the spacer baseplate it should give you the feel of the P45 Grip on your P45 "Covert". If you use the extended mag for the P45 (7 round) you will have steel of the mag body showing below the grip.

FYI, the mag body for the extended PM45 mag (6 Round) and the Mag body for the standard (6 round) P45 mag are the same, just the baseplates are different.

Of course, the 5 round PM45 mag will give you the most concealable grip in you P45 "Covert".

YMMV
Old 06-21-2009, 18:23   #16
E5MC

Thanks for the tip G20, I didn't even think of them. I have purchased a few Rings guns from them in the past.

Old 06-22-2009, 12:04   #17
dcp

Im really tempted to do this mod. However Im pretty sure kahr will consider the warranty void if i do. I think i will just keep my eyes peeled for a used cw9, chop that frame and put the P9 slide on it.

Has anyone spoken with kahr about if this mod will void the warranty? I just bought my p9 a few months ago, and Im not about to throw away the 5 year warranty, especially with some of the problems ive seen posted about kahrs pistols. So far this gun has been great, functions flawlessly, and is very accurate, but if it develops problems in the future i rather the repair be on their dime than mine.

Oh, and thats a very nice job you did. It looks great.
dcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 15:57   #18
AZ Traveler

My understand of the reason Kahr stopped offering the Polymer "Covert" models was of the the reject rate when cutting the frames. Kahr made "Coverts" by cutting the frames of P models. They did not produce a separate mold for the polymer Covert.

So if cut yours, I don't see how that is much different then Kahr cutting it. In fact you have a higher motivation to do the job right rather then some hourly worker doing it over and over again in "production".

The idea is to cut it long and slowly shape it to the correct size, by test fitting the mag. How long it takes is not a factor when you are doing it for yourself. At Kahr, the longer it takes the more it costs, so how fast the process takes is a factor to them.

FYI - The K40 Covert used different tooling then the K40 or the MK40. The K40 Covert was discontinued many years ago. I believe, Kahr never offered a K9 Covert. I have asked to proven wrong about the exsistance of a K9 Covert and no proof has ever been offered.

YMMV
Old 06-22-2009, 21:33   #19
G20-IWB24/7
Mortician

I guarantee that cutting the frame on any gun will void the manufacturers warranty. So, buy a used one, go slowly (measure twice, cut once, etc.), and go slowly (did I already say that?).

I'll confirm that after 5+ years of watching for one, I have never seen a K9 Covert. I am the proud owner of a K40 Covert, though, and it is with me most of the day, everyday. It wears an MK-set of CTC lasergrips, shoots great and is perfectly reliable. I have yet to find its equal as far as a carry gun for my particular set of criteria. Trust me, I've looked!
Old 01-17-2010, 08:25   #20
docbones

TMann,

Who made your holster? Very nice!
docbones is offline   Reply With Quote