Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-06-2009, 16:21   #51
Butch
CLM Number 29
RetiredDinosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrider View Post
Gun-Parts & Access.
It looks like yours was contacting the firing pin safety the same way mine was....but not as bad.

Gun-Parts & Access.

If I can ask....how did you alter it to take 13 rounds?

U.S. Army-MNNG 73-83 95 Bravo
NRA Life Member
When wondering who's advise to consider, check their profile to see if they have posted anything about their training or experience.
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 18:05   #52
jgrider

I posted how I did it a few weeks back. I don't know how to retrieve past posts.
jgrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 18:25   #53
kelsitone
Armed & Safe

Quote:
I posted how I did it a few weeks back. I don't know how to retrieve past posts.
I found this thread, but it doesn't say how you did it: http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1006784
kelsitone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 20:02   #54
jgrider

That's the one. I don't know what I was thinking. How did you find it ?

Let me start with a little history. I have a G17. My friend lent me his G26 with his AA conversion on it. I wondered how did they get 10 rnds. into the G26/22mag. What is done is that they use a modified follower and a very short sping plunger that holds the base plate in place. I tried the G26/22 plunger in my G17/22 mag and came up with a 13 round capacity. I couldn't get the G26 follower to fit into my mag but I could see how I could possibly modify my follower. With the follower modified I calculated that I could have a 15 round capacity. That's the max limit because the spring is fully compressed

After all that I called A.A. and asked to purchase 5 G26/22 mag plungers & followers. They wanted to know why. I explained about the higher mag capacity. That was a big mistake. The refused to sell the parts to me because they were afraid they were breaking some kalifornia law even though I'm not a kalifornia citizen.

So I wasn't about to possibly wreck my followers so I settled on a 13 rnd capacity. I don't know what the capacity would be for other models, but I guess it can be found out by trying a G26 plunger

Gun-Parts & Access.
My almost lathe....variable speed drill in a vise & a dremel tool with a cut off wheel for shaping & cutting. I had the drill turninig at a medium speed. It takes me about 10 minutes to make one now that I know what I'm doing

Gun-Parts & Access.
Factory & a modified plunger made from a 3/8" or 10mm bolt with a max length of .365" from the base ot the stud to the end. This is the length I need so that the leg of the follower hits the plunger when the mag is fully loaded

Gun-Parts & Access.
Cost effective method made from a wooden dowel. It really works
Old 03-06-2009, 20:09   #55
kelsitone
Armed & Safe

Quote:
That's the one. I don't know what I was thinking. How did you find it ?
I just ran a search on your name.

I'll bet you could sell some of those plungers.

How long have you been using them?

Last edited by kelsitone; 03-06-2009 at 20:12..
kelsitone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 20:17   #56
SweetKnuckles
WhatTheFrench?

He probably shortened the mag floor plate plug.

I noticed this the other day, and Jeff at SigPower I think is working on making some of them. He already does the same for the Sig .22 conversion kits.

Gun-Parts & Access.

https://www.collectors-society-slabs...6-Parts-Order/

I tried his plug and it ALMOST fits in the Glock mags, but the pin that goes through the floorplate is just a hair too big in diameter.

For now, you could order his base plate plugs probably, and just use a slightly wider drillbit to drill out your mag baseplate, although I cannot verify, because I sold my G27, so I have a kit with no frame to run on for now.

Basically the floor plate retaining plugs for the G27/26 kits is almost just a little nub. For the 19/23, it's maybe a centimeter and for the 17/22 kits its a centimeter and a half.

If you take a 19 mag and use the 26/27 base plate plug in it, it will allow for more rounds to fit in the mag.

I called AA and told them I 'lost' my 27/26 floorplate plugs and how much would it be to send me new ones. Right off the bat the lady said they wouldn't even send replacement plugs out, because the owner knew that it was to make more capacity. We were joking back and forth, but I couldn't get her to budge. I asked what they do when someone loses the floorplate plug ...she said, send in the mag and they'll replace it.

So for now we're stumped until someone (JeffSSig) machines out smaller plugs.

LOL ETA: looks like the pics are up - his description was not up as I was typing this.

Last edited by SweetKnuckles; 03-06-2009 at 20:28..
SweetKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 20:25   #57
SweetKnuckles
WhatTheFrench?

p.s. That Lathe is frickin GREAT!
Old 03-06-2009, 20:28   #58
SweetKnuckles
WhatTheFrench?

pps, Excellent ingenuity, JGrider
Old 03-06-2009, 20:36   #59
mbrktn

Post deleted.

Last edited by mbrktn; 03-06-2009 at 20:38.. Reason: Did not read through last page of thread
mbrktn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 20:51   #60
jgrider

Quote:
How long have you been using them?
I've been using them for about 2 months and 4 Rem GB 550 paks. I do speed shooting practice at steel plates with the modified mags. The only concern I had was that there was going to be a timing issue with the last round being stripped out of the mag because the spring isn't under the same amount of tension to push the last round up as it was with the factory plunger. Not a problem for me

Quote:
p.s. That Lathe is frickin GREAT!
Thanks

The problems I've had with this conversion unit were the failure to eject which I fixed using the method I discribed earlier, and the problem of getting the extractor to grab a fullychambered round so that I didn't have to use a dowel to push out the brass. I had to recontour the extractor for that one
Old 03-07-2009, 11:51   #61
JeffSSig
SSC #238

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetKnuckles View Post
He probably shortened the mag floor plate plug.

I noticed this the other day, and Jeff at SigPower I think is working on making some of them. He already does the same for the Sig .22 conversion kits.

www.sigpower.com

https://www.collectors-society-slabs...6-Parts-Order/

I tried his plug and it ALMOST fits in the Glock mags, but the pin that goes through the floorplate is just a hair too big in diameter.

For now, you could order his base plate plugs probably, and just use a slightly wider drillbit to drill out your mag baseplate, although I cannot verify, because I sold my G27, so I have a kit with no frame to run on for now.

Basically the floor plate retaining plugs for the G27/26 kits is almost just a little nub. For the 19/23, it's maybe a centimeter and for the 17/22 kits its a centimeter and a half.

If you take a 19 mag and use the 26/27 base plate plug in it, it will allow for more rounds to fit in the mag.

I called AA and told them I 'lost' my 27/26 floorplate plugs and how much would it be to send me new ones. Right off the bat the lady said they wouldn't even send replacement plugs out, because the owner knew that it was to make more capacity. We were joking back and forth, but I couldn't get her to budge. I asked what they do when someone loses the floorplate plug ...she said, send in the mag and they'll replace it.

So for now we're stumped until someone (JeffSSig) machines out smaller plugs.

LOL ETA: looks like the pics are up - his description was not up as I was typing this.

SweetKnuckles
I do have some plugs that do fit the 17 mag now. The pin has been sized down and works just fine.
You do only get 13 rounds by getting my plug and I can only see one way to gain more.
By trimming down the Mag Follower at the top end to allow the spring to move up on the follower.
The spring compresses (bottoms out) and this is what stops the mag from holding more rounds.

I am not sure what other mags this will work and help in.

Here is a image of my new plugs.

Gun-Parts & Access.
JeffSSig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 13:44   #62
rockabillyrider

Thanks

The problems I've had with this conversion unit were the failure to eject which I fixed using the method I discribed earlier, and the problem of getting the extractor to grab a fullychambered round so that I didn't have to use a dowel to push out the brass. I had to recontour the extractor for that one
Gun-Parts & Access. Gun-Parts & Access.

I have been having the same ejection problems with my AA kit on a G19. Upon reading your post on the repair and looking closely at my mag I did a bit of filling and the kit is running @ 100% !!!! Thanks for your helpful info.
rockabillyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 14:11   #63
ken grant

Got any info or pic on how to redo the extractor?
I have been trying to figure out a way to get the extractor to extract both Federal and Winchester .22's

Both mine (21 and 23) will not extract either of the above rds. and I wish they would so I could quit using the Rem. G.B. pks. I get a lot of mis-fires and weak sounding rds. with them.
If I could get them to work with the Federals it sure would help in keeping .22's on hand as my Cieners(1911 & AR's) work great with them.
ken grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 19:22   #64
jgrider

Quote:
I have been having the same ejection problems with my AA kit on a G19. Upon reading your post on the repair and looking closely at my mag I did a bit of filling and the kit is running @ 100% !!!! Thanks for your helpful info.
I'm glad I could help

Quote:
Got any info or pic on how to redo the extractor?
I have no pics but what I did was remove the striker for safety reasons and the recoil spring.
Mounted the slide on the frame.
Put a round into the breach face held in place by the extractor. The nose of the bullet could just be in the chamber if the rnd won't stay in place.
Close the slide slowly. I noticed that as the bullet chambered and the extractor contacted the ramped cut out, the ramp caused the extractor to pull away from the bullet rim.
This shouldn't be an issue if the rnd fires because the fired brass should start to push out of the chamber and the extactor comes off the ramped cut out.
But if I had a misfire or the fired rnd failed to extract, like before I fixed my mags the extractor couldn't grab enough of the rim to pull it out and I'd have to use a brass rod.
What I did was to use a needle file and remove metal from in front of the hook never taking any metal from the hook tip until the extractor didn't pull away when the slide was in battery with rnd under the extractor
What I have now is 100% hook extraction. In fact now if I chamber a rnd first and then slowly lower the slide I hear a distinct click as the exractor wraps around the bullet rim. I also stretched the extractor spring a little. Also what I did, since the rnd that was against the breach face wouldn't stay in place while held by the extractor, I noticed that the walls of the breach face where they met the breach face were a little rounded so I used a jewelers screwdriver to scribe them square. Now when I extract a fired brass slowly I have the case held straight until it hits the ejector. In fact if I pull the brass completely out of the chamber but before hitting the ejector and then push the slide forward, the brass goes right back into the chamber.
Did I go overboard on my how to ?

Quote:
I have been trying to figure out a way to get the extractor to extract both Federal and Winchester .22's

Both mine (21 and 23) will not extract either of the above rds. and I wish they would so I could quit using the Rem. G.B. pks. I get a lot of mis-fires and weak sounding rds. with them.
If I could get them to work with the Federals it sure would help in keeping .22's on hand as my Cieners(1911 & AR's) work great with them
I don't think I will ever get Feds to work reliably. Before I figured out what was wrong with my mags, Fed, Win, and sometimes Rem fired brass wouldn't extract. Now Rem GB, Rem Thunderbolt, Win Wildcat, Win 333 bulk pack have all so far worked 100% of the time for me.
But I think the Feds have two problems for me. The champions 525 pack and the American eagle will now extract but I have a lot of stove pipes or the extracted brass rim sometimes hits the rib on the next bullet in the mag causing the extractor to slip off.
OK you can wake up now.

I'm glad to see that someone is now making plungers for AA mags.
John
Old 03-08-2009, 08:52   #65
ken grant

NO, you did not go overboard. I think you did well.
I noticed on both my kits that with the chamber empty and you closed the slide, the extractor was pushed out a little.

I was thinking along the same lines as you about removing enough from the extractor nose so that this didn't happen.

I was in hope of someone that had tried this would come along and confirm my thinking.

Thanks for all the info
Ken
Old 03-08-2009, 14:07   #66
ken grant

Any of you guys have info on how to detail strip the slide on an AA Glock kit?
Old 03-09-2009, 19:03   #67
ViperR

I'd like to know disassembly of the AA kit, also. Pics of parts would be great, too. Especially the part "lock out insert". I believe it's some sort of insert under the slide, held in place by two screws near the breech.
ViperR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 19:11   #68
ken grant

I tried to get info from AA on how to detail strip the Glock slides and the only thing they would tell me is the firing pin is removed just like a Glock and they didn't think anyone should strip one any farther than that.

The lock out insert is steel so the slide lock will not wear the Alum. slide as it would if the insert was not there.
Old 03-09-2009, 20:14   #69
jgrider

Quote:
I tried to get info from AA on how to detail strip the Glock slides and the only thing they would tell me is the firing pin is removed just like a Glock and they didn't think anyone should strip one any farther than that
You're right except that the firing pin safety plunger is held in place by the same roll pin (newer units) that holds the extractor
John

Gun-Parts & Access.
Old 03-09-2009, 21:30   #70
bigdog_3bc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken grant View Post
I tried to get info from AA on how to detail strip the Glock slides and the only thing they would tell me is the firing pin is removed just like a Glock and they didn't think anyone should strip one any farther than that.

The lock out insert is steel so the slide lock will not wear the Alum. slide as it would if the insert was not there.
Here you go man , check out my video and if you still have any questions feel free to ask and I'll try & help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3Qdy...e=channel_page

Sorry about the shi#y audio
bigdog_3bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 07:39   #71
SweetKnuckles
WhatTheFrench?

GOOD stuff KITB2000.

Bookmarked.
Old 03-15-2009, 12:30   #72
Thanis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superheat View Post
I just tried out my advantage arms .22 conversion for my G19. I had two double feeds out of about 8 magazines. I'm using cci minimags. What should I check or try to fix this.
I have been having that problem a little more and more. I have not figured it out 100%. I think it has to do with cleaning the barrel. I really don't think it has anything to do with they type of round used. However I have only used 2 types.

Golden Bullets .22 LR 36 GR. PHP Rem. 15 failures out of 1600 rds.
CCI .22 LR 40 GR. CRN HV. 1 failure out of 50 rds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsitone View Post
I've used nothing but Remington Golden Bullets in mine.
I had a lot of jams with it at first. Then I stopped lubing it like a GLOCK. They like to run wet. Since I started, what I consider, drowning mine in oil, it's been great.
+1

I'll know by next time, as I thoroughly cleaned the barrel (and plan to run an oil patch dow in one time before going to the range).

Here is a record of my experience.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthre...advantage+arms

Last edited by Thanis; 03-15-2009 at 12:37..
Thanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 12:49   #73
Thanis

Quote:
Originally Posted by federali View Post
AA recommends only Remington high velocity ammo, nothing else...
You are wrong sir.

"Q: What type of ammo is recommended? A: The conversion kit works best with 40 grain High Velocity ammo, however, we have found Remington 36 grain hollow point Golden Bullets also work very well."

Per the website: http://www.advantagearms.com/faqs.php

Thanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 14:27   #74
My2Dogs

guys just playing around I have a AA kit for a G26 and a G19 I took the spring and follower out of the G26 AA mag and put it in the mag for a G19, I was able to get 14 rounds in the G19 mag, not sure if its worth it to you for 4 extra rounds but it worked. Seems like the spring is the only difference.
Old 03-21-2009, 20:42   #75
Superheat

JGRIDER, I did the fix on the magazines as you shared with us. The one I tried it on works. It feeds almost everything. The other ones not so much. I hope to have the same results as the others. THANKS....

Tags
13-rd aa mag, advantage arms