Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-06-2009, 08:34   #41
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
The Dude Abides

Quote:
Originally Posted by lethal tupperwa View Post
i STILL WONDER HOW A PERSON IS ABLE TO READ WELL ENOUGH TO ORDER ONE OF THE KITS.

BUT IS UNABLE TO READ THE INSTRUCTIONS THAT COME WITH IT!!?

Hey, Mr. Know-it-all......
Before you make youself look even more illiterate,
Take a look at his first post. He was using CCI Mini Mag ammo.
It is, as specified on the orange card supplied from Advantage Arms,
as being the #1 ammo to use. Followed by Remington Golden Bullets.
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 08:55   #42
Superheat

Don't you have better things to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lethal tupperwa View Post
i STILL WONDER HOW A PERSON IS ABLE TO READ WELL ENOUGH TO ORDER ONE OF THE KITS.

BUT IS UNABLE TO READ THE INSTRUCTIONS THAT COME WITH IT!!?
I will take that as an insult. But, I will not insult you. Every thing I read was saying use MiniMag's. So while I waited to get my kit I started buying MinMags. THE INSTRUCTIONS SAID THEY SOULD WORK. I was shocked that the would'nt work. Having no experience and not knowing anyone who owned one of the kits, I turned to you guys and the manufacture for help. Luckily there were some nice people here to help.
LETHAL TUPPERWARE please do not post on any theads I start, your help I can do without. It should be easy because I don't post much here.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:31   #43
federali

AA recommends only Remington high velocity ammo, nothing else. So, in order to trouble shoot the AA conversion, do so with the recommended ammo.

BTW, had a minor mag problem when I purchased my conversion. AA promptly replaced it without hassle. They're a very good company to deal with.

Just because it's on the internet doesn't mean it's true: Abraham Lincoln
federali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 11:40   #44
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
The Dude Abides

Quote:
Originally Posted by federali View Post
AA recommends only Remington high velocity ammo, nothing else. So, in order to trouble shoot the AA conversion, do so with the recommended ammo.

BTW, had a minor mag problem when I purchased my conversion. AA promptly replaced it without hassle. They're a very good company to deal with.

WRONG,......

WTH,......
Why does everyone quote information that is incorrect.
Use the internet, educate yourself before you tell someone they are using the wrong ammunition!

Below is a excerpt from their website:
"We highly recommend Remington "Golden Bullets" for everyday plinking and CCI MiniMags for better accuracy."

1/2 way down page, see link below.
http://www.advantagearms.com/conversion_kit.html

Also take a look at the orange card that comes with every kit,......
CCI Mini Mags is the #1 listed ammo.

Old 03-06-2009, 12:17   #45
DanS26

I have had very good results with my AA kit and I have used a many different brands of ammo and loads including the Federal brand which is the big no-no.

The only problem I had, was with Aquila high velocity (1470 fps) 40 grain. When I investigated the FTE problem I noticed that the spent case was ballooned just a bit near the bottom crease of the case. That caused the ejector to be pushed off the case and caused the FTE. Now maybe the case housing in the AA kit is machined is such a way as to allow this balloon effect. It appears to me it is. On the other hand, the Aquila brass maybe a little too thin for their higher velocity ammo.

My advice to those having FTE's would be to check your spent casings very carefully.
DanS26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 12:20   #46
SweetKnuckles
WhatTheFrench?

Glad the goldens are working for you.

As ammo prices continue to rise, you're going to be very happy you didn't ditch the kit.
SweetKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 12:22   #47
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
The Dude Abides

DanS26,......

Interesting. I had never heard that before, thanks for passing that along!
Old 03-06-2009, 13:27   #48
ken grant

I have two AA Kits(19/23 & 20/21) and all they will work with are Mini-Mags and Rem. GB's. Although the GB's have some weak rds. and mis-fires, I still use them for plinking.
Federal and Winchester causes failures to extract.
I would love to find out how to work on the extractor so I could shoot the Federal Bulk Pks. as they seem to be better than the Rems.
Everytime I get a FTE, the pistol feeds another rd., bends the new rd. and I have to remove the mag. to clear.

My Ciener kits(AR &1911) work great with the Federals and I have a large supply of them.
ken grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 15:48   #49
jgrider

I had the problem of the fired brass staying in the chamber and another live round sandwiched in between the the chambered brass and the slide. This happened always with Fed & Win ammo and sometimes with Rem. GB and CCI.

I found the problem was the newer mags, because what was happening was that as the fired brass was coming out of the chamber it would hit the right forward raised ear of the mag causing the extractor to slip off the rim. The slide would continue to travel back and strip another rnd out of the mag. I think that the Rem & CCI stuff was powerfull enough to allow the brass to travel back most of the time even after hitting the raised ears of my mags, but the Fed stuff wasn't.

My fix was to file down the mag ears level to the ledge of the barrel just behind the chamber. My unit still doesn't like Fed stuff, the brass will now extract out of the chamber all the time, but I now have stove pipes with it. I don't think the Fed stuff is powerfull enough to over come the recoil / striker springs.
John

I now have 100% ejection & feeding with Rem GB, CCI, & Win 333 bulk ammo. Even with my modified 13 rnd. mags

Gun-Parts & Access.

Gun-Parts & Access.

Gun-Parts & Access.
jgrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 16:57   #50
ken grant

jgrider said "I now have 100% ejection & feeding Even with my modified 13 rnd. mags"

Just what did you do to the mags to hold 13 rds.?
ken grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 17:21   #51
Butch
CLM Number 29
RetiredDinosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrider View Post
Gun-Parts & Access.
It looks like yours was contacting the firing pin safety the same way mine was....but not as bad.

Gun-Parts & Access.

If I can ask....how did you alter it to take 13 rounds?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

U.S. Army-MNNG 73-83 95 Bravo
NRA Life Member
When wondering who's advise to consider, check their profile to see if they have posted anything about their training or experience.
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 19:05   #52
jgrider

I posted how I did it a few weeks back. I don't know how to retrieve past posts.
Old 03-06-2009, 19:25   #53
kelsitone
Armed & Safe

Quote:
I posted how I did it a few weeks back. I don't know how to retrieve past posts.
I found this thread, but it doesn't say how you did it: http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1006784
kelsitone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 21:02   #54
jgrider

That's the one. I don't know what I was thinking. How did you find it ?

Let me start with a little history. I have a G17. My friend lent me his G26 with his AA conversion on it. I wondered how did they get 10 rnds. into the G26/22mag. What is done is that they use a modified follower and a very short sping plunger that holds the base plate in place. I tried the G26/22 plunger in my G17/22 mag and came up with a 13 round capacity. I couldn't get the G26 follower to fit into my mag but I could see how I could possibly modify my follower. With the follower modified I calculated that I could have a 15 round capacity. That's the max limit because the spring is fully compressed

After all that I called A.A. and asked to purchase 5 G26/22 mag plungers & followers. They wanted to know why. I explained about the higher mag capacity. That was a big mistake. The refused to sell the parts to me because they were afraid they were breaking some kalifornia law even though I'm not a kalifornia citizen.

So I wasn't about to possibly wreck my followers so I settled on a 13 rnd capacity. I don't know what the capacity would be for other models, but I guess it can be found out by trying a G26 plunger

Gun-Parts & Access.
My almost lathe....variable speed drill in a vise & a dremel tool with a cut off wheel for shaping & cutting. I had the drill turninig at a medium speed. It takes me about 10 minutes to make one now that I know what I'm doing

Gun-Parts & Access.
Factory & a modified plunger made from a 3/8" or 10mm bolt with a max length of .365" from the base ot the stud to the end. This is the length I need so that the leg of the follower hits the plunger when the mag is fully loaded

Gun-Parts & Access.
Cost effective method made from a wooden dowel. It really works
Old 03-06-2009, 21:09   #55
kelsitone
Armed & Safe

Quote:
That's the one. I don't know what I was thinking. How did you find it ?
I just ran a search on your name.

I'll bet you could sell some of those plungers.

How long have you been using them?

Last edited by kelsitone; 03-06-2009 at 21:12..
kelsitone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 21:17   #56
SweetKnuckles
WhatTheFrench?

He probably shortened the mag floor plate plug.

I noticed this the other day, and Jeff at SigPower I think is working on making some of them. He already does the same for the Sig .22 conversion kits.

Gun-Parts & Access.

https://www.collectors-society-slabs...6-Parts-Order/

I tried his plug and it ALMOST fits in the Glock mags, but the pin that goes through the floorplate is just a hair too big in diameter.

For now, you could order his base plate plugs probably, and just use a slightly wider drillbit to drill out your mag baseplate, although I cannot verify, because I sold my G27, so I have a kit with no frame to run on for now.

Basically the floor plate retaining plugs for the G27/26 kits is almost just a little nub. For the 19/23, it's maybe a centimeter and for the 17/22 kits its a centimeter and a half.

If you take a 19 mag and use the 26/27 base plate plug in it, it will allow for more rounds to fit in the mag.

I called AA and told them I 'lost' my 27/26 floorplate plugs and how much would it be to send me new ones. Right off the bat the lady said they wouldn't even send replacement plugs out, because the owner knew that it was to make more capacity. We were joking back and forth, but I couldn't get her to budge. I asked what they do when someone loses the floorplate plug ...she said, send in the mag and they'll replace it.

So for now we're stumped until someone (JeffSSig) machines out smaller plugs.

LOL ETA: looks like the pics are up - his description was not up as I was typing this.

Last edited by SweetKnuckles; 03-06-2009 at 21:28..
Old 03-06-2009, 21:25   #57
SweetKnuckles
WhatTheFrench?

p.s. That Lathe is frickin GREAT!
Old 03-06-2009, 21:28   #58
SweetKnuckles
WhatTheFrench?

pps, Excellent ingenuity, JGrider
Old 03-06-2009, 21:36   #59
mbrktn

Post deleted.

Last edited by mbrktn; 03-06-2009 at 21:38.. Reason: Did not read through last page of thread
mbrktn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 21:51   #60
jgrider

Quote:
How long have you been using them?
I've been using them for about 2 months and 4 Rem GB 550 paks. I do speed shooting practice at steel plates with the modified mags. The only concern I had was that there was going to be a timing issue with the last round being stripped out of the mag because the spring isn't under the same amount of tension to push the last round up as it was with the factory plunger. Not a problem for me

Quote:
p.s. That Lathe is frickin GREAT!
Thanks

The problems I've had with this conversion unit were the failure to eject which I fixed using the method I discribed earlier, and the problem of getting the extractor to grab a fullychambered round so that I didn't have to use a dowel to push out the brass. I had to recontour the extractor for that one

Tags
13-rd aa mag, advantage arms