PatrioticMember

What's in your hunting daypack?

;d
Short Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 08:58   #2
Short Cut
CLM Number 88
PatrioticMember

Ok let's see if we can get the ball rolling here.

For starters a good topographic map of the area and some tough binoculars.

clic pic
Hunting, Fishing & Camping
Old 09-10-2002, 10:35   #3
40Cal
Modurbator

Gun cleaning kit
Multi-tool
Couple of knives
Flashlight (also one of those head-worn lights)
Map of the area
COMPASS (sometimes GPS)
Gloves
Lunch (if applicable)
Candy bars or energy bars of some kind

The rest depends on what I'm hunting (patch kit for waders if duck hunting, etc.)

Former crusader against the Evil Forces of Fluff.

Last edited by 40Cal; 09-10-2002 at 10:46..
40Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 10:42   #4
Hucklebarry
Native

TOILET PAPER!
Drag strap. (I'm always optomistic.)
Knife, for field dressing.
Knife, for rougher work.
Flashlight.
Lighter.
Extra ammo.
Gun oil.
Bore Snake.
A pack of Nabs, or two.
A bottle of water.
Rain gear. (Gore-tex, or poncho.)
Compass.
Binoculars. (Not always. Woods too thick around here.)
Revelation 19:11 - And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Hucklebarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 10:43   #5
mpol777
Feral Member

i carry different things for different type of hunting. the basics are:

first aid kit
hydration system
leatherman
digital camera
journal
lighter and matches
topo maps of whereve i'm going
compass
gps
a couple cliff bars and some fruit
1 MRE
water purification tablets

now if i'm hunting the wilderness areas and am going for a couple days i need to switch packs and carry all of my overnight gear and extra food and water. i still carry a full meal and extra water just because most of the places i hunt have no people. if something goes bad i'd be on my own for quite a while.
Old 09-10-2002, 11:37   #6
badbilly429

Send a message via AIM to badbilly429 Send a message via Yahoo to badbilly429

i hunt on 600 acres of private land, and i have walked every single inch of that property 50 times. absolutely no chance of getting lost, because it is surrounded by 4 main roads. so when im up there i pack.

my glock 27 on my side
2 xtra mags.

my streamlight scorpion, my buck 3 blade multi knife for field dressing. and my buck folding saw.

back pack= small first aid kit, waterproof matches, my garmin e-trex gps, field dressing gloves, surgical gloves, couple bottles of water, kellogs nutrigrain bars, compass, extra bulbs and batteries for my streamlight, as well as a mini mag lite, leatherman, toilet paper for an emergency, monocular, extra ammo for rifle, and a gun cleaning kit (i never thought id actually need this, until last year my sling broke on my 30.06 and my gun game off my shoulder, and the barrel stuck right in the damn sand, if i had not had my gun cleaning kit, and bore snake, i would have been screwed out of a day of hunting!) i also carry my cell phone, (i usually carry a nextel, but it barely works in northern michigan, so i carry a tri mode motorola star tac, on a cheap plan with cingular for emergencies) oh yeah and my motorola spirt gt+ radio good for 5 miles hooked up with my dad and the other 3 hunters.

Member NRA-Thank You Sidearmor
.40 S&W club Member # 429
Sub Club Member # 429
Hunting, Fishing, Camping #429
Blade Runners #429
Big Dawgs Club # 2069

-<Member of the PERFECT WORLD Charter>-
badbilly429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 09:25   #7
Elkslayer

I am a Hunter Education instructor so bear with the short course on survival. My list of survival items are tailored for use in the Rocky Mountains and the items I carry vary for the time of year.

You need to have a pack of some kind. Carry it each time you go out. I like a lumbar pack as it has plenty of room and the shoulder straps keep it from drooping down on your butt like a fanny pack does. I prefer the lumbar pack made by True North and called "The Load Monster" (you can get it from www.altrec.com). It has plenty of straps to strap on light coats or vests when you are working hard going up hill or when the sun comes up and you don't need all the layers. I carry:

A liter of water and some way of refilling ita water filter.

Three ways to START a fire -
matches in a waterproof container, and 2, "metal match" type strikers.

Three types of tinder - a 35mm film canister will hold 12 cotton balls, my favorite are fuel cells for heating MREs -(the purple tablet ones). They start with ONE strike from the metal match. Toilet paper can be the 3rd type of fire starter. A short candle is great too.

Heavy duty aluminum foil for cooking or heating water.

12' of nylon rope (for dragging the animal or to build a lean-to) & 10' of bailing twine.
A space blanket and a large garbage bag (rain cover or to line a lean-to).
3 small flashlights (one is a headlamp), 1 cheap plastic one, 1 small Maglite & extra batteries. Start out with new batteries in all of them.

3 knives for cleaning and skinning, one is a 4" BUCK the others are 3" folders of good quality & a Gerber combination saw with one bone blade and one wood blade.

Sometimes I carry an MRE but mostly I just carry snacks.

A good compass, a map, AND a GPS set to use UTM grids. Learn to use the GPS and UTM grids, MUCH easier than reading lat/long & more precise!

I carry a referee's whistle, a signal mirror, and a space blanket.

A first aid kit and personal medication (Imodium AD & Ibuprofen comes to mind!)

Have surveyors tape in any color than orange (too much orange tape in the woods now)!

A sheet of plastic (4' X 6') or a poncho. A LARGE heavy duty trash bag will work.

I have a pen to sign my tag with. Rubber gloves (the type used when staining woodwork) for cleaning the animal. Include spare socks and gloves & a camera for happy pictures.

That is a lot of stuff! It is what I have narrowed my pack down to after more than 20 years of elk hunting. And it all fits into the Load Monster from True North.

MOST important thing you can do is before the weather gets too bad and prior to season opening, SPEND A NIGHT OUT WITH YOUR PACK!!! Use ONLY what is in the pack. Learn to make a lean-to.

Packs are a VERY personal thing! What I have in mine is the last thing someone else would carry in theirs! For example, some include an old paperback book. The pages make a fire starter, and it is something to read while waiting for rescue.

Try and attend a class on survival. See if one is taught by your city's parks & recreation department or local community college. Read up on the subject. But most of all spend the night out with the stuff you "THINK" you need! Absolutely learn to read your GPS.

When you FIRST THINK you are lost, ask yourself these questions and answer them honestly!!
Do you know where you are?
Do you know where home/camp/the truck is?
Do you have enough time to get there before dark?

If ANY OF THESE ARE ANSWERED "NO" STAY WHERE YOU ARE, START TO BUILD A SHELTER AND GATHER WOOD FOR YOUR FIRE!

And remember pack lots of PMA! POSITIVE MENTAL ATTITUDE!
Sub Club member #145 (cause all it takes is 1, .45)
NRA Life member, RMEF, '99 H-D FLHTC
And a elk huntin' fool!
Elkslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 23:25   #8
mikescooling

Elkslayer wow good list!

I'm kinda a puss, Unless I know a fool proof way to get from A to B I don't go.
I was out hunting and the weather turned on me and I had to stop and sleep out side from then on If I go for a day hike over 10 miles I take a sleeping bag.
Has anyone said
A cell phone.
A good hat.
I stash matches in bags and lighters ever where.
I take a MSR white gas stove. God forbid, Some times here we get large puddles or small lakes that freeze over and I have not even realized I was waking on water and crack,,, splash. You have about 2 min before hypothermia sets in, if you cover your self with a poncho and light your pack stove you'll be OK, If not your in trouble.

A shot gun and bear loads, also an assortment of loads thru #71/2 for small gritters.
Just tons of water.
I check My packs weight and I shoot for under 40Lb
Some times I take a couple of beers.

;j
mikescooling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2002, 13:41   #9

Knife with Gut Hook
First Aid/Equipment repair kit.
100ft. 550 cord
Power Bars/Trail Mix/Jerky
Waterproof and windproof matches
Magnesium Fire starter
2 aerial flares and 2 truck flares
Bore snake
Water purification tablets
Compass and map
Poncho
Bushnell Binos
Space Blanket
Signal whistle and mirror
Leatherman

All that fits in the buttpack on my web gear.
Old 09-21-2002, 13:45   #10
Short Cut
CLM Number 88
PatrioticMember

Thanks to all of you guys for the awesome responses! I'm printing this list out and, like Santa, checking it twice. Really it will save me time, money and possibly my life. This is a fine example of the power of the internet and the quality of the membership here at GT! ;Y
Old 09-21-2002, 16:38   #11
40Cal
Modurbator

One more thing, be sure to wear a whistle around your neck or clipped to your collar where it's in easy reach. If you fall out of your stand and hurt yourself you'll be a lot louder with a whistle than by yelling. Of course you should always be wearing a safety harness.

Former crusader against the Evil Forces of Fluff.
40Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2002, 03:07   #12
Blast
'nuff said

Lots of good stuff. I can't think of much more except for one of those folding tree saws. They're lightweight, have about a ten inch downward curving blade with very large and sharp teeth. You can cut through four inch dia. limbs faster and easier than with an hand axe.
Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2002, 23:50   #13
duncan
Lifetime Membership

Matches in a waterproof can
Jerky
Camelpack with a day's worth of water on my back
whistle to blow if I need help
emergency poncho in case cold or rain
Old 09-27-2002, 22:42   #14
devildog88

Binos, TP, 1 can kodiak, 1 bottle water, duct tape, knife, x-tra rounds, jerky, apple to cut up and leave in meadows, and thats all folks.
Old 10-03-2002, 04:13   #15
Stopdropnroll

-Matches in water proof containers, (strikers too, as I seem to be unable to actual use a "strike anywhere" match on anything but the box striker)
-2 lighters, cuz why light matches if you dont have too?
-cotton balls, fire starter
-Whistle
-knife gerber gator
-TP
-Compass (has reflective mirror inside)
-topo map of area that I am in
-small pelican flashlight (AA)
-very small AM/FM radio (AA) same batts for anything in the bag
-6 granola bars,
-1 Beef jerky
-2 rolls life savers candy
-flagging tapes
-nylon strap
-first aid supply
-2 20 oz water bottles
-2 emergency space blankets
-3 plastic garbage bags
-additional rifle ammo
-"gunslinger" rifle carry holder (puts weight of rifle on belt, using sling only to stabiize)
Need to add: binocs, water purifier, alumimum foil

In my Columbia Sportwear Gortex parka, I always have warm waterproof gloves, boonie hat, insulated hood and more food.

Soon going to add a camelback hydration system to this ..... after some research....
Stopdropnroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 02:07   #16
Floyd

Those emergency space blankets are great, but watch out for condensation. You'll end up wet if you're not careful. With this in mind, don't spend the extra money on the blankets that are formed like a sleeping bag. They're bad news.
Kentucky Colonel, Kentucky Proud; NRA Endowment Member; GOA Life Member; KC3 Member; Big Dawg #35; "We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately." Benjamin Franklin; My grass is blue...
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 16:51   #17
Short Cut
CLM Number 88
PatrioticMember

;?
Old 10-05-2003, 22:52   #18
allhowl

Its smart to plan ahead and consider the worst case scenario.

In regards to the emergency blanket, have you ever used one? I never have but I did open one up to see how strong it was and I wasn't impressed. As I opened it up I tore it in several places. Duct tape fixed it but what if I didn't have the duct tape with me?

Besides the above mentioned items you may want to consider these.

The duct tape wrapped around a flashlight handle comes in handy for many things. If you strip off a piece 4 inces long & make a ball of it, its a great firestarter.(make sure there is room for air when made into a ball). Don't forget a snakebite kit if you are in an area with poisonous snakes. Also bug juice & a small whetstone and iodine tablets & a plastic or aluminum cup. I like the gatoraid packets to mix with water for energy. Good hunting!!
allhowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 22:21   #19
blackopsglock
smckma

Alot would depend on where you are hunting and what kind of hunting you are doing.

As a general rule I would pack.

Lighter and some water proof matches.(in addition i keep a lighter in my pants just in case I get seperated from my pack.
snacks/jerky
water/purifier
gps and compass
maps of area
field tape or markers
rope
binos
game calls
knife and shapener
flashlights and extra batteries/(always keep one on my person and the other in my pack.
med's and pain killers
snake bite kit
laser range finder
pencil
Tp
diper wipes(never leave home without them)
mirror for signaling
rain poncho and emergency blanket
band aids(lots of them)
extra gloves and watchcap
radio and or cell phone

Like I said it depends on where I am and how long I am going to be out.If there is a chance I could get stuck for days I carry even more stuff.

They said you were a great asset. . .I told them they were off by two letters

Warning: If this post contains words that are not spelled correctly,Correct the speeling as you sea phit.
blackopsglock is offline   Reply With Quote