Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-03-2009, 22:12   #1
kengps

New Streamlight TLR-3

I just seen the new compact TLR-3 on Streamlights website. Anybody have one? are they available yet?
Old 03-04-2009, 02:50   #2
Glockster_James
Man W/ A Badge

Send a message via AIM to Glockster_James Send a message via Yahoo to Glockster_James
Looks like its designed to replace Insight X2. Just a quick search...doesn't look like its out yet, but the price will be about $130ish? At least thats what I'm seein on http://www.publicsafetylighting.com/sttlledtagun1.html

"But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord." Joshua 24:15
Glockster_James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 02:51   #3
Jose 357
San Jose, Ca

Very cool, but not needed.

It is cool.

The TLR-1 holds 2 cr123 non-rechargeables with a Seoul LED emitter and it makes 135 lumens.

The new TLR-3 is the same as the TLR-1, but it only holds 1 cr123 non-rechargeable. It will make only 90 lumens.

This is a step backwards. There are plenty of LED emitters out there that will run off 1 battery.

EX: The new MC-E for my Surefire 6P makes 1000 Lumens and runs off 1 AW18650 cell it runs 50 minutes. I also use it on a Surefire 3P (6P with 1battery) it uses a single rechargeable cr123 (only 10min run time).
Note: The MC-E emiiter is a P60 drop-in from Gene Malkoff and at 4.2v draws 3.5amps. Hot, hot, hot, hot, hot, .....

There has been so many advances in LED technology that I don't see the need to go back in lumen output.

If I were in the Market I would buy the TLR-1 while I still can. The replacement TLR-3 is a step backwards, but it is slightly smaller. I own the TLR-1 and use it with my G32 and it is plenty small already.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:28   #4
Glockster_James
Man W/ A Badge

Send a message via AIM to Glockster_James Send a message via Yahoo to Glockster_James
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose 357 View Post
It is cool.

The TLR-1 holds 2 cr123 non-rechargeables with a Seoul LED emitter and it makes 135 lumens.

The new TLR-3 is the same as the TLR-1, but it only holds 1 cr123 non-rechargeable. It will make only 90 lumens.

This is a step backwards. There are plenty of LED emitters out there that will run off 1 battery.
Not ignoring what else you said as its all true. Just thought I'd mention that if I'm correct in that its competition for the Insight X2, then not only does it have the X2 beat by using an LED, but its also brighter. So it would be more for like the Kel-Tec PF-9, S&W M&P Compacts, etc...the guns without enough length to do a proper rail mount.

Having said that, I agree with you 110%, the TLR-1, TLR-2, X200, X300, X400, etc are better overall.

Old 03-04-2009, 14:48   #5
RayB
Retired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockster_James View Post
Having said that, I agree with you 110%, the TLR-1, TLR-2, X200, X300, X400, etc are better overall.

Just my two cents...

Of the X200's, the X200B is by far better for dedicated indoor use. The X200A throws a tight spot beam. The X200B throws a wide flood beam. The B's were still available from Dawson Precision for $209.00. They also had the new X300 (replaces the A & B by somewhat combining performance) for $249.00:

http://www.dawsonprecision.com/Categ...:Weapon+Lights

Weighing all aspects, I'd have to say SureFires are still the best! Plus, they offer that great remote, trigger guard switch!

Right behind the X200B is Insight's XTI Procyon! It easily matches the X200B's indoor performance, and seems to have a little more range. It is hardened, like the SureFires are, for actual battle use. The Procyon can be had for under $160.00:

http://www.flashlightoutlet.com/

I currently own SureFire's X200 A&B and an Insight XTI Procyon. For bang for the buck, it's hard to beat the Procyon, IMO!

For lasers, I currently own two LaserMax guide rod lasers, a LaserMax UNI-GREEN, and a new LaserMax Sabre--the latter of which I'm putting through trials (more on that later!)

--Ray
RayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 16:56   #6
Jose 357
San Jose, Ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockster_James View Post
Not ignoring what else you said as its all true. Just thought I'd mention that if I'm correct in that its competition for the Insight X2, then not only does it have the X2 beat by using an LED, but its also brighter. So it would be more for like the Kel-Tec PF-9, S&W M&P Compacts, etc...the guns without enough length to do a proper rail mount.

Good point. I didn't think about that. Those with smaller lengh barrel pistol would benefit from this.

90 lumens on a pocket pistol is a good combo. I had another rail light that wouldn't fit right on my G32 so I can see how this would help those with more compact guns.
Old 03-06-2009, 02:30   #7
Glockster_James
Man W/ A Badge

Quote:
Good point. I didn't think about that. Those with smaller lengh barrel pistol would benefit from this.

90 lumens on a pocket pistol is a good combo. I had another rail light that wouldn't fit right on my G32 so I can see how this would help those with more compact guns.
I would love to put a 90 lumen light on a Kel-Tec PF-9. Of course finding a holster for it would be next to impossible...but still, that would be an awesome backup if ever needed.

Old 03-07-2009, 03:45   #8
chevrofreak

Quote:
It is cool.

EX: The new MC-E for my Surefire 6P makes 1000 Lumens and runs off 1 AW18650 cell it runs 50 minutes. I also use it on a Surefire 3P (6P with 1battery) it uses a single rechargeable cr123 (only 10min run time).
Note: The MC-E emiiter is a P60 drop-in from Gene Malkoff and at 4.2v draws 3.5amps. Hot, hot, hot, hot, hot, .....

There has been so many advances in LED technology that I don't see the need to go back in lumen output.

If I were in the Market I would buy the TLR-1 while I still can. The replacement TLR-3 is a step backwards, but it is slightly smaller. I own the TLR-1 and use it with my G32 and it is plenty small already.
The TLR-3 uses a CR2 cells, not a CR123a. It isn't a step backwards, it's a step forward. It puts out much more light than the previous CR2 powered micro lights, and has more runtime.

And by using your MC-E drop-in with a rechargeable CR123, you're destroying those cells very quickly.

You seem to think output is the most important thing, but for a light that you may need to trust your life to, runtime and reliability are more important.
smoke free since 4:58AM July 29th 2002!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
<-- currently 0 auction(s) running

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
The best IWB holster money can buy!
chevrofreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:18   #9
Jose 357
San Jose, Ca

"And by using your MC-E drop-in with a rechargeable CR123, you're destroying those cells very quickly.

You seem to think output is the most important thing, but for a light that you may need to trust your life to, runtime and reliability are more important."

I agree using high amp draw applications destroys cells A.S.A.P. I use IMR 16340 which are specifically made for up to 4.5amp draw. Lighthound sells these along with the IMR 18650's. I normally only use the MC-E in a 6P bored to accept the 18650's, but for the wow factor I drop it in a single cr123 size P60 hosts. It runs over 1.5 hours on 18650, but for about 10 minutes on 16340. Additonally; for really long run times I use a P60 P7 drop-in with low, med, high, strobe, strobe. I don't like the strobe, but at least I can put it on low to make the P7 run for hours.

High amp draw applications are risky, but I try to learn as much about them as possible.

I think reliability is the most important thing; followed by runtime. For reliability and quality I stick with Surefire and Malkoff Devices P60 drop-ins. The MC-E regulated P60 drop-in can run on 3 18650's. I plan on using that for weekend camping trips. A 6P bored with 2 18650 extentions; in this format the 12in lengh makes it not practical for pocket carry, but great for hiking and over weekend runtimes with the right drop-in (P7 P60 5 mode) or (Cree Derelight R2 3 mode).

Last edited by Jose 357; 03-09-2009 at 10:28..
Jose 357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:06   #10
mister happy
Lefty

I just tried the TLR-3 on my G19 - the adaptor that locks the light into the slot across the rails places the light too far forward, so there's no benefit from the shorter form factor. The light itself is great, but because the switches are so far forward, its hard to use, and the far end sticks out way past the barrel.

Last edited by mister happy; 06-04-2009 at 08:15..
mister happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 09:55   #11
BlackPaladin

Will be nice for my M&P9 compact, I plan to buy one.
niners club #187
moto club #600
Bull dawgs club #55
RIP Ofc. Tommy Decker #6402 CSPD
BlackPaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 08:20   #12
KellyTTEVAL
www.ttellc.net

Quote:

Necropost:

Your shipment of fail has arrived: Powered by one 3V CR2 lithium battery

Rechargables are available. Example:

http://www.amazon.com/Juice-Recharge...f=pd_sim_hpc_1
KellyTTEVAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 08:30   #13
slewfoot
Random Mayhem

The innovation here is the unit's size.

It offers a smaller unit to fit compact and subcompact pistol owners a solution to their lighting needs.
slewfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 13:54   #14
KellyTTEVAL
www.ttellc.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by slewfoot View Post
The innovation here is the unit's size.

It offers a smaller unit to fit compact and subcompact pistol owners a solution to their lighting needs.
Especially for long gun use as well (think Patrol Rifles).
KellyTTEVAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 14:11   #15
slewfoot
Random Mayhem

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister happy View Post
I just tried the TLR-3 on my G19 - the adaptor that locks the light into the slot across the rails places the light too far forward, so there's no benefit from the shorter form factor. The light itself is great, but because the switches are so far forward, its hard to use, and the far end sticks out way past the barrel.
Are you using the wrong key? Scroll down the page. The light is supposed to come with five different keys to fit a variety of pistols.

http://www.streamlight-flashlights.c...FYVM5QodIHZpDQ
slewfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 23:56   #16
latenite

New Streamlight TLR-3

Hopefully I can get some info by reviving this thread. I'm interested
in the TLR3 because I made the mistake of buying a G21SF with a Picatinny
rail. It will not fit in the safariland holster made for the G21 with a rail mounted M3 or TLR1 light. It appears this light may be the answer to me
not having to sell the pistol and buy a SF with a standard rail. Does anybody
out there know for sure that this light is small enough to allow a 21SF with
a picatinny to fit in the holsters made for G21s with standard rails?

Last edited by latenite; 11-04-2009 at 00:17.. Reason: Spelling
latenite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 10:16   #17
ProGun3400

Quote:
Originally Posted by latenite View Post
Hopefully I can get some info by reviving this thread. I'm interested in the TLR3 because I made the mistake of buying a G21SF with a Picatinny rail. It will not fit in the safariland holster made for the G21 with a rail mounted M3 or TLR1 light. It appears this light may be the answer to me not having to sell the pistol and buy a SF with a standard rail. Does anybody out there know for sure that this light is small enough to allow a 21SF with a picatinny to fit in the holsters made for G21s with standard rails?
I had the same problem with a G21SF picatinny rail. Can't help with the light, bought the Procyon XT-1 for it that wouldn't fit. This holster was one of the few I've found that would fit that gun:
http://www.topgunsupply.com/blade-te...tiny-rail.html
A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are many people in this country who have lost it.
ProGun3400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 10:26   #18
Joshhtn
The eBay Guy

I have had a TLR-3 on my G22 for about 4-5 months now... LOVE IT!!... Controls are easy to reach (for me) and puts out MORE than enough light for any HD/SD situation IMO.

I had a TLR-1 for HD... FANTASTIC light!!!!!... VERY bright!!!... Too bright infact--- 135 Lumen at 2-3am (after you've been asleep for a few hours) will not only blind a BG but also yourself!

Joshhtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 20:55   #19
latenite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProGun3400 View Post
I had the same problem with a G21SF picatinny rail. Can't help with the light, bought the Procyon XT-1 for it that wouldn't fit. This holster was one of the few I've found that would fit that gun:
http://www.topgunsupply.com/blade-te...tiny-rail.html
I appreciate your response. I'm not sure I'm going to spend more $ in this
effort. I have an old M3 that is real snug in the holster. I may try to dremel
a little material from the safariland to make it work.

BTW The TLR3 did not fit. It's smaller but the squared angles kept it from going into the holster.

Thanks again...

Last edited by latenite; 03-13-2010 at 20:58..
latenite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 13:28   #20
electrohawk

I guess they are trying for a smaller unit for smaller guns?
electrohawk is offline   Reply With Quote