Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-12-2002, 21:29   #1
Esox357

Buying German Shorthair Pointer

Greetings all. I plan on purchasing a german shorthair pointer for soley hunting upland birds. This will be my second gsp. I found a vet that is selling pups from a two time field champion. This fact alone is not that significant to me. He is asking 400 for the females and 350 for the males. He has sold all but two females and I think he has 5-7 males for sale. All the pupies are 6 wks old. I feel the price is a bit much since I purchased my first GSP (female) for less than half the price and she was great. I also know you get what you pay for. My question is does this price seem high to you. Would you buy the male over the female. Any secrets when selecting a pup? Thanks all for the input Esox357. P.S. Now if I can only think of a german name.
Old 09-12-2002, 23:08   #2
rfb45colt
safe-cracker

Price seems about right to me. They sell for about the same here. A hunting buddy bought one about 15 years ago (a male) and paid $250... and that dog was well worth every penny. With his GSP, and my two Setters, not a pheasant, quail, nor a grouse got by us undetected. Considering inflation, $350 for a male isn't bad at all.
Old 09-13-2002, 04:54   #3
TJC
"No Compromise"

Price does not seem bad at all. I just purchased a Drahthaar or German Wired Hair Pointer (all German line flavor). Price for her was $800. GSP's are going for about the same or more from a good, riliable, and noted breeder.
Good luck with the pup. We're at 17/18 weeks and she is testing my patience for sure. But I see a great dog coming down the road. The one she is going to replace is looking for a little easier year, but that won't happen until next year when the pup gets a bit more experience.
Member NJSCPA

"Trust in God, but carry a P7M8, Walther, Browning or Colt"
TJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 09:54   #4
Hihopoly

The initial cost of a dog is nothing compared to the time and maintenance/health costs over 10-15 years. One trip to the vet can be $hundreds. For a "working dog" buy for quality, even if the initial investment is a little more. Just my .02.

Woof? You there?
Hihopoly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 19:44   #5
safetyslug
Hogs Beware

Send a message via AIM to safetyslug
Congrats. Short Hairs make great bird dogs and even better friends. Now I could just teach my wife's Pomeranian to point. LOL
Old 09-14-2002, 07:21   #6
Esox357

Thanks all who responded. I purchased a male yesterday. I will start traing at about ten weeks old. I cant wait to get him started. Esox357
Old 09-14-2002, 09:30   #7
TJC
"No Compromise"

Esox,

Start your training right now. He is probably 6-8 weeks old, right? Start with the socialization training as some call it. Get him out to meet people and other dogs. Other GSP's if possible but any will do.
Also he is really not to young to start with the simple commands like sit, come, stay and kennel. The younger the better, he will learn quicker. But do remember, he is a puppy and must be allowed to grow as a puppy for at least a year.

Good luck.
Member NJSCPA

"Trust in God, but carry a P7M8, Walther, Browning or Colt"
TJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2002, 07:33   #8
Hucklebarry
Native

I'll second the "start training now" sentiment.

Those basic commands mentioned can be started as soon as you bring your puppy home. In addition to learning those commands, he'll also "learn how to learn." Just remember he's a puppy and has a very short attention span. Don't push him.

By the way, I have a 7 yr. old GSP named "Hans." He's by far the best dog I've ever owned. He's very intelligent and has the perfect disposition. The only complaint I have with Hans, if you can even call it a complaint, is that he acted like a puppy for a little over two years. He was very rambunctious, and didn't want to settle down to work.

Good luck with your dog,
Huck
Revelation 19:11 - And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Hucklebarry is offline   Reply With Quote