Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-15-2009, 07:03   #1
DLL9mm

Brown Bear 9mm ammo.

Has anyone used this ammo in their 9mm Glocks? I just ordered another 500 rounds. It worked great in my G17 and was pretty accurate. It was just a little dirty. Does is wear the extractor?
http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catalo...e/9mm-fmj-ammo
Old 03-15-2009, 07:19   #2
DannyR

Yup, steel cased ammo is tough on Glock extractors. When I have to buy ammo, I get Winchester USA, Blazer or American Eagle.
Bull Dawg #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
DannyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 09:20   #3
CableRouter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLL9mm View Post
Has anyone used this ammo in their 9mm Glocks? I just ordered another 500 rounds. It worked great in my G17 and was pretty accurate. It was just a little dirty. Does is wear the extractor?
My G19 is quite happy on a steady diet of Brown Bear. The money you save shooting the cheap stuff will more than pay for an $18 extractor when it comes time to get a new one.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper, Principles of Personal Defense
CableRouter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 09:32   #4
cdemarse
NRA Life Member

Send a message via AIM to cdemarse Send a message via MSN to cdemarse Send a message via Yahoo to cdemarse
Quote:
Originally Posted by CableRouter View Post
My G19 is quite happy on a steady diet of Brown Bear. The money you save shooting the cheap stuff will more than pay for an $18 extractor when it comes time to get a new one.
The problem I have is that its cheaper for me to shoot brass. I can get 100 value packs of WWB at my local wal-mart for $19. With tax thats still cheaper than I can find wolf of brown bear.

Oh well I guess I will just have to deal with it.

Edit* On the other hand I shoot a lot of Wolf MC threw my AR's with no problems.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:56   #5
Headcase_Fargone

Your WalMart has ammo in stock? Where do you live, Canada?
Headcase_Fargone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 10:15   #6
cdemarse
NRA Life Member

Send a message via AIM to cdemarse Send a message via MSN to cdemarse Send a message via Yahoo to cdemarse
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headcase_Fargone View Post
Your WalMart has ammo in stock? Where do you live, Canada?
Yes sir. I am in the greatest, most honest stat in the country...IL

I was just there yesterday(wal-mart) and they were running low on 9mm and 45. Had a couple boxes of each but I already have.....enough

Hell they even had the 100 round value packs of federal .223, they were $40.

I picked up some winchester value packs of 12 gauge slugs, buck, and birdshot.

And across the road we have a "farm store" called Big-R. They have ANY type of ammo you can think of in stock. About a dollar of two more than Wal-mart so prices are still good.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:18   #7
bluejdixon
Ammo Hoarder

*pokes his Canadian head in*

There is not a Walmart around me that carries ANY handgun ammunition.
Old 03-15-2009, 12:20   #8
lastevolution
"Senior" Member

I've fired several thousands of the stuff through my G17, G19, and G26 without a hitch.

Extractors aren't any worse for wear. I don't see how mild steel cases are hard on hardened steel extractors.
Old 03-15-2009, 12:21   #9
samuse

I've got about 2000 rounds of the Monarch Steel from Academy through several Glocks with no problems. I think it is the same stuff as the Brown Bear, Barnaul IIRC.

Quote:
You suck at...well, everything so far.
samuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 12:49   #10
DLL9mm

All my Walmarts have been sold out of 9mm, 40, and .45 for a while. Everytime they get a shipment, someone comes in and buy EVERY single box! SO I figured I would order 500 more rounds of Brown Bear to avoid the stress and hassle of dealing with Walmart. I know I could get WWB or Blazer for the same price(If I go to Walmart everyday) I know this ammo is accurate and reliable because I already have a few hundred rounds. I shot a lot of this in my 17 and it preformed fine. I took my 19 out today and shot 150 rounds of Brown Bear with no problems. I just want an honest opinion, Should I order a replacement extractor Just in case? I really don't want to have mine go out on me. Thanks for everyones help!
Old 03-15-2009, 13:05   #11
cdemarse
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLL9mm View Post
All my Walmarts have been sold out of 9mm, 40, and .45 for a while. Everytime they get a shipment, someone comes in and buy EVERY single box! SO I figured I would order 500 more rounds of Brown Bear to avoid the stress and hassle of dealing with Walmart. I know I could get WWB or Blazer for the same price(If I go to Walmart everyday) I know this ammo is accurate and reliable because I already have a few hundred rounds. I shot a lot of this in my 17 and it preformed fine. I took my 19 out today and shot 150 rounds of Brown Bear with no problems. I just want an honest opinion, Should I order a replacement extractor Just in case? I really don't want to have mine go out on me. Thanks for everyones help!
In you opinion how much dirtier was the bear than WWB?

Thanks
Old 03-15-2009, 13:38   #12
DLL9mm

They both are about the same in my opinion. I usually shoot about 100-200 rounds everytime I go to the range, and after when I clean them, I don't notice a whole lot of difference. The dirtiest ammo I have ever used would have to be Aguila. I bought a couple boxes of .45, and my g36 was filthy afterwards(50rds)
Old 07-07-2010, 09:19   #13
W.E.G.

Reviving this thread from 2009.

Brown Bear prices are down.

Is this stuff still running without issue in Glocks?
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:30   #14
DLL9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.E.G. View Post
Reviving this thread from 2009.

Brown Bear prices are down.

Is this stuff still running without issue in Glocks?
No issues at all in a G17 and a G19(about 1500rounds) Just a bad smell
Old 07-07-2010, 10:37   #15
cowboy1964

I shot 500 Brown Bear through my G26. No issues other than the bad smell it left behind. Had to thoroughly clean everything including detail stripping the slide to get it all out.

I use Silver Bear now. It doesn't have the bad smell and it's only slightly more expensive (like 50 cents a box).
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 13:33   #16
2afreedom

I have put several thousand of the cheapest steel-cased ammo I can find through my Glock 19. It has all of the original parts and has never had a hiccup. Any cheap practice ammo will be dirty-American, Russian, whatever. Buy the cheapest ammo you can find to punch paper and clean your gun regularly. Carry quality SD ammo. Test your SD ammo to be sure it cycles well in your firearm. Sleep well at night.
2afreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 13:35   #17
joemal

I've fired hundreds of rounds with this stuff....G17 still goes BANG
joemal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 14:12   #18
CitizenOfDreams

If you can get steel ammo cheaper than brass, go ahead. You can always buy a $20 extractor if you do manage to wear one out. Just don't use cheap Russian ammo for anything serious like self-defence or competition.
CitizenOfDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 14:47   #19
JK-linux

Not the best ammo in the world in that it can shoot pretty dirty and the steel is tougher on a firearm than brass. But, unless you plan to shoot 80,000 rounds through your carry pistol, just to say you did - your extractor should be fine. If your gun will shoot this reliably, go for it.
JK-linux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 14:52   #20
TwentyNizzo

Ive been buying Federal 115 gr FMJ from Walmart for $9.47/50. At that price it makes no sense for me to but the Brown Bear, although I am a fan of their 223. The only downside is that they limit me to 6 boxes of ammo.
TwentyNizzo is offline   Reply With Quote