Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-21-2002, 12:42   #1
Counter Strike

Browning BAR .308

I'm cleaning house and upgrading my firearms and am contemplating selling off a Winchester Model 70 (30.06) and Marlin 30-30 and puting that $ towards a Browning BAR in .308 (although the .06 is still in the running). Thoughts from anyone who has owned/shot/hunted with a BAR?
I'm leaning toward the .308 because of the availablity of military surplus ammo - I intend to hunt with premium loads.
Counter Strike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2002, 13:35   #2
m65swede

My BAR is in .30-06 and is a great hunting rifle. I actually tried to buy the BAR in .308 but they were out of stock at the time and I needed a rifle quickly (my deer rifle was stolen 2 days before the season opener while I was enroute by car to my hunting area).

That BAR is the softest shooting .30-06 I've ever handled. It wears a 1.75-5 variable power scope and is my preferred deer rifle for brushy areas. These rifles just "feel good" in the hand.

As far as caliber, choose whichever you prefer. There is little practical difference between the .308 and .30-06 unless you intend to hunt the largest game.

Matter of fact, if I were to buy a 2nd BAR, it would most likely be in .308 so my wife could comfortably use it. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

Swede
G21-Big Dawg #633, G17-Niners #633
Member NRA, Illinois State Rifle Assn, Varmint Hunters Assn
6.5mm Swedish Mausers and Varmint Rifles
m65swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2002, 13:01   #3
safetyslug
Hogs Beware

Send a message via AIM to safetyslug
Quote:
Originally posted by m65swede
My BAR is in .30-06 and is a great hunting rifle. I actually tried to buy the BAR in .308 but they were out of stock at the time and I needed a rifle quickly (my deer rifle was stolen 2 days before the season opener while I was enroute by car to my hunting area).

That BAR is the softest shooting .30-06 I've ever handled. It wears a 1.75-5 variable power scope and is my preferred deer rifle for brushy areas. These rifles just "feel good" in the hand.

As far as caliber, choose whichever you prefer. There is little practical difference between the .308 and .30-06 unless you intend to hunt the largest game.

Matter of fact, if I were to buy a 2nd BAR, it would most likely be in .308 so my wife could comfortably use it. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

Swede
What Swede said! I also have a BAR Stalker in 30.06. Love it. Accurate and easy to shoot. Also, VERY easy to clean.
Old 09-27-2002, 12:34   #4
bustedknee
Curmudgeon

I have 2 BARs. one in 7mm mag and the other is 338 mag.
We took 3 bears with the 7mm one spring.
They do soften the recoil somewhat and are good quality (Belgin).

I've seen the shorter, lightweight 308 and it looks like a good deal to me.

I've considered trading them off for something I could use more, but so far can't bring myself to do it.
bustedknee is offline   Reply With Quote