SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-30-2013, 22:19   #1
freakshow10mm
10mm Advocate

Any advice for my uncle.

My uncle got an LCT press kit and started to load himself. He has reloaded for his 454 Casull on a friend's press so he's got the process down, he's just got his own equipment now.

Loading the .40 with 180gr Berry's and TG (yeah, I know, but let's not go there). Says he has inconsistent charges with the auto disk and even the Lee charge bar thing. He's trying to target 4.4 or 4.5gr of TG, but he gets anywhere from 4.1 to 4.7 and even a few at 5.0gr.

Here's what I sent him.:

Quote:
When are you measuring charges? Do you set it up, then test that or do you run a charge, dump it out a few times before you take measurements? That will have an effect on your charge. When I setup my powder measure, I take a minimum of 5 "charge and dump" where I charge the case and dump the powder back into the powder measure. This allows the powder to settle a bit in the measure. Then I do that for 10 more times and write down the weight, then average it out. TG meters well so it's surprising it's giving you issue. Do you have it with just TG or with other powders too? I'm trying to remember if I had issues when I had a Lee setup like yours. Do you notice any powder leaking around the disks at all? that seems to be a common issue too and could lead to the overcharging. Are you working the press the same way (firmness/power) every time? That can actually throw things off believe it or not.
I covered the basics, but am I missing anything? My uncle needs a 550 so bad but he can't afford it. That was my "real" answer, but this Lee stuff is all he can work with right now.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tku8YI68-JA
freakshow10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 22:29   #2
RMM

I have had problems with inconsistency with smaller charges (under 6 grains) with the adjustable charge bar but the disks have been very consistent for me. I am using the pro version of the auto disk.
Two things to look for: 1. Static buildup. I ran some graphite through the measurer before using it to alleviate this. 2. The lee powder through expanding die comes with a TON of oil inside of it. You need to take it apart and wipe it down or else the powder will stick and clump up giving inconsistent charges. I made the mistake at first of not cleaning it out, believe me when I say there is enough oil in there to give you headaches for hundreds of rounds.
Old 05-30-2013, 22:35   #3
Colorado4Wheel

With the LCT you have to pull the handle 4 times for each charge you weight. Not 1 not 2, 4 times. Just like when you load.

The adjustable charge bar sucks with light charges of TG. It just doesn't work well.

Try this instead.

Reloading

Reloading
Old 05-30-2013, 22:45   #4
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMM View Post
I have had problems with inconsistency with smaller charges (under 6 grains) with the adjustable charge bar but the disks have been very consistent for me. I am using the pro version of the auto disk.
Two things to look for: 1. Static buildup. I ran some graphite through the measurer before using it to alleviate this. 2. The lee powder through expanding die comes with a TON of oil inside of it. You need to take it apart and wipe it down or else the powder will stick and clump up giving inconsistent charges. I made the mistake at first of not cleaning it out, believe me when I say there is enough oil in there to give you headaches for hundreds of rounds.
Good advice. Static is a greater problem in some climates more than others and some of the gear does come with more oil than others so if you haven't seen either problem it's easy to overlook.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 22:53   #5
freakshow10mm
10mm Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado4Wheel View Post
With the LCT you have to pull the handle 4 times for each charge you weight. Not 1 not 2, 4 times. Just like when you load.
I've owned a LCT before. There is some travel where you can lower the case from the powder die and remove it from the shellholder to dump the powder back into the PM without indexing. It won't index before the case is clear of the dies.

That's a neat idea about a set screw for fine adjustments. Never thought of that.

Last edited by freakshow10mm; 05-30-2013 at 22:53..
Old 05-31-2013, 00:28   #6
zippyhuntin

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow10mm View Post
I've owned a LCT before. There is some travel where you can lower the case from the powder die and remove it from the shellholder to dump the powder back into the PM without indexing. It won't index before the case is clear of the dies.

That's a neat idea about a set screw for fine adjustments. Never thought of that.
Correct, but then you're not running the measure like you will when you're loading. Run the turret through a full cycle without a case in the shellholder, when you get back through the sizing die put a case in, do a powder drop and then measure your throw weight.
zippyhuntin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 04:11   #7
Murphy's Law

I can't add anything but to say you (freakshow) sold me first reloaded....a 550b which throws powder perfectly as verified with my electronic Dillon scale going on 8 years now. Thanks guy
Old 05-31-2013, 06:51   #8
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow10mm View Post

But you want the powder measure to swing around 4 times to properly fill the cavity each time.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:04   #9
unclebob

Use new or once fired cases. That helps in making sure you are not weighing other things besides power. Also make sure there is no media left in the case before throwing the charge. Like what has already been said cycle the press all the way around for each dump. Keep the powder measure at least half or more full of powder. Install a powder baffle.
What powder measure is he using?
GSSF Life Member
Old 05-31-2013, 07:52   #10
dkf

Before I even used my autodisk measure I took it apart and washed it with dish soap and water. Then dryed it making sure to get every spec of water. Swabbed it with a dryer sheet and then worked powder through it to get it carboned up. Powder can stick to a new measure pretty bad.
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:04   #11
freakshow10mm
10mm Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado4Wheel View Post
But you want the powder measure to swing around 4 times to properly fill the cavity each time.
I get what you're saying now. The short cycle I did was just to run powder through the measure to settle the powder.

Bob, he's using the Auto Disk.

Quote:
I use the chart to get close. Then I change the disk to get close to what I want . I usually throw throw 5- 6 more charges and check the weight. Usually within 1/10 of a grain. But the disks are not allowing me small enough adjustments. I am usually at the low end or the high end. So I bought the charge bar. Figured the micrometer adjustment would be better to make small adjustments. I try to use the same force and stroke to be sure the powder all goes in the case. I am so frustrated because now I have to take apart like 20 loads because I am unsure of the grains in each load. I will try again this weekend but not enjoying this very much.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:16   #12
ColoCG

[QUOTE=Colorado4Wheel;20336043]With the LCT you have to pull the handle 4 times for each charge you weight. Not 1 not 2, 4 times. Just like when you load.

The adjustable charge bar sucks with light charges of TG. It just doesn't work well.

Try this instead.

^^^ This^^^

As others have said:

Always cycle 4 times before weighing powder charges.

And the adjustable powder measure does not work consistently with light charges of low volume powders like TG. Although it does work OK with larger charges of higher volume powders.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:21   #13
Colorado4Wheel

The variation people are describing on a Auto disc that is clean and seasoned is a result of measuring a charge that was only cycled once vs 4 times when they are loading a round. The measure is accurate when used consistently. The diamond shaped adjustable insert for the measure is not as accurate with small volume charges (weight is not the issue) and it can bridge. I have had that happen with TG. Because the measure does move in a circle while the press is operated the powder in the measure is compacted a small amount by that movement. You need to be consistent with speed you move the handle to get the same compaction each time. In a static setting the Pro Auto Disc is just as accurate as any other volume measure with a similar design (which is most of them).

Last edited by Colorado4Wheel; 05-31-2013 at 09:30..
Colorado4Wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 17:43   #14
WiskyT
Malcontent

The PTE die is coated in oil. It took two doses of breakcleaner to get my buddy's new one clean and dry. It wouldd give your uncle fits if he didn't clean it well.

As for the accuracy of the autodisk, I haven't used TG, but I've used plenty of flake powder of various sizes. It is very accurate. The chrage bar thing is a bust, put it in a drawer where he will forget where it is. I can get repeatable charges with my AD and flake powders regardless of how I handle the measure. I can gently cycle it, or rap on it with a screwdriver handle. For those people that claim the Dillon measure is more accurate, remember, it works the exact same way as the Lee. It's just a bigger, more expensive version of the same thing.

If you uncle's throws are that far off, he needs to make sure the PTE is clean, his reading glasses are on, there are no air currents near his scale, and that his scale is a good one.

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 19:36   #15
countrygun

I can't help but wonder if the stability of the base might not affect the charge. I have a very stable bench but I am still curious.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote