SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-05-2015, 19:42   #1
Kentguy

New test - Rainier 230g PHP w/HS6

Greetings,

I have had some Rainier 230g PHP bullets sitting on the shelf for some time now and I finally got around to testing them out over some HS6 powder.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/105...ProductFinding

Just for comparison;

Hornady .45 AUTO "Custom" factory ammunition
230g XTP HP +P
Velocity - box listed @ 950 fps/my 6 shot average =887.6 fps
Standard Deviation = 6.58027
OAL - 1.230"

My data;

Case - Winchester
Primer - CCI LP #350
Bullet - 230g PHP (Rainier)
Bullet length - .645" (very consistent)
Bullet DIA - .451" (spot on!)
Powder - Hodgdon HS6 @ 8.0g
Powder range - 7.2g up to 8.0g (Speer)
Burn rate - #42 (Hodgdon burn rate chart)
OAL - 1.200"
Test gun - Glock G21 w/4.60" barrel
Velocity - 839.3 fps
Standard Deviation - 10.5767

Test firing was firm but not over-powering, re-acquisition of my target was fairly fast and I found no sign of over/under burn with HS6.

Accuracy test fired from a seated, gun rest position and standing free hand at both 10 & 20 yards. The test charge of 8.0g gave me outstanding accuracy from both positions and I'm a "fair" marksman but this round even made me look good!

I regret I could not do a penetration/expansion test my ballistic gel just would not cooperate.

This was a great bullet/powder combination, and at 839 fps, this should be a good home/self defense load.

Last edited by Kentguy; 02-06-2015 at 15:08..
Kentguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 08:35   #2
Kentguy

Just an additional note here on Hodgdon's HS6 powder.

Being a Spherical powder it does meter well and has a fairly good range of uses. It is at the slower end of the burn rate chart (#42 - Hodgdon burn rate chart) and seems to come alive at the mid to upper end of the suggested charge weight listed in your manuals. I have found this powder to be an excellent choice for most all of your HP loads using a longer barreled gun... like my G21, that has been my experience anyway.

I have tested .45 caliber loads using a range of different powders burn rates to see the different results from the same pistol. Here is a brief run-down;

Winchester WST (#18) - softest firing, cleanest powder
Hodgdon Universal #32) - Good all around powder
Alliant Power Pistol (#33) - Great for the 4th of July
Hodgdon HS6 (#42) - most accurate with variety of bullets

If you have not used HS6, I would suggest giving it a try. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. The ultimate test for you is not what it does in my Pistol but what it does in yours.

Keep reloading/testing and be safe out there.

Last edited by Kentguy; 02-06-2015 at 08:44..
Old 02-06-2015, 10:54   #3
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentguy View Post

I regret I could not do a penetration/expansion test my ballistic gel just would not cooperate.

This was a great bullet/powder combination, and at 839 fps, this should be a good home/self defense load.
I have no idea why you would want to use a cheap bullet designed for target practice as your Home Defense bullet choice. Just buy some XTP's or any other DECENT bullet vs this bullet that was never ever designed for what you seem to want to use it for.

Ignore Text Size....posting from a phone.
Colorado4Wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 14:23   #4
dougader

CCI LP primers are 300 or 350.

Great info. Thanks for sharing. I need to load up more 45.

FWIW, Speer also makes plated bullets. Their Gold Dot line, in particular. While I would - and do - use Speer GD or Federal HST for PD/HD, in a pinch I would not hesitate to use a PHP from Ranier or Berry. Montana Gold and Zero, however, do not expand worth a hoot.

"In St. Louis, armed Homeland Security agents monitored Tea Party members protesting the IRS. Good idea. When people think their government is out to get them, the best response is to send the government out to get them." -Fred Thompson

Last edited by dougader; 02-06-2015 at 14:27..
dougader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 15:06   #5
Kentguy

C4W... "I have no idea why you would want to use a cheap bullet designed for target practice as your Home Defense bullet choice. Just buy some XTP's or any other DECENT bullet vs this bullet that was never ever designed for what you seem to want to use it for."

Easy son... this was just a test with some bullets I had on the self along with some of my favorite powder. I normally use (and have posted test results) Hornady XTP bullets in all calibers. However in this test, I found that this "cheap" bullet as you put it, is more than capable of stopping any threat that might happen to you in your home.

I have read many of your posts and I do respect your experience, but please do not get the impression that I am saying that this is the only bullet out there that you should buy. Just one of several that I have tested.

dougater... "CCI LP primers are 300 or 350. Great info. Thanks for sharing. I need to load up more 45.
FWIW, Speer also makes plated bullets. Their Gold Dot line, in particular. While I would - and do - use Speer GD or Federal HST for PD/HD, in a pinch I would not hesitate to use a PHP from Ranier or Berry. Montana Gold and Zero, however, do not expand worth a hoot."

Thanks I love to tinker with this sort of thing.
Also thanks for pointing that out - Old eye & finger are a bad com-bo I used the CCI LPM primers #350 not #550 as I typed up above (made the correction).
I agree, I have been less than impressed with the expansion of some plated HP bullets, usually good accuracy, nice penetration though.
Love reloading & shooting .45's

Last edited by Kentguy; 02-06-2015 at 15:09..
Old 02-06-2015, 15:45   #6
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentguy View Post
Easy son... this was just a test with some bullets I had on the self along with some of my favorite powder. I normally use (and have posted test results) Hornady XTP bullets in all calibers. However in this test, I found that this "cheap" bullet as you put it, is more than capable of stopping any threat that might happen to you in your home.

I have read many of your posts and I do respect your experience, but please do not get the impression that I am saying that this is the only bullet out there that you should buy. Just one of several that I have tested.

dougater... "CCI LP primers are 300 or 350. Great info. Thanks for sharing. I need to load up more 45.
FWIW, Speer also makes plated bullets. Their Gold Dot line, in particular. While I would - and do - use Speer GD or Federal HST for PD/HD, in a pinch I would not hesitate to use a PHP from Ranier or Berry. Montana Gold and Zero, however, do not expand worth a hoot."

Thanks
Well you can shoot nearly anything with a 45 and not need expansion as it's a great size already. I just couldn't disagree more that it would make even a "decent" (for lack of a better word) SD bullet. It's super soft lead with a thin copper wash. For all you know it will just fragment up and not do it's job at all. Why even imply it could be a good choice. I would use a cast lead bullet before this type of plated bullet. People with less knowledge would read your post as an endorsement of these things for SD proposes. I feel the need to at least warn people about that.

Ignore Text Size....posting from a phone.
Colorado4Wheel is offline   Reply With Quote