Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-17-2013, 15:59   #1
dkf

Microstamping on Brass

Came across this today. Looks like Cali is moving towards requiring semi auto handguns to have microstamping on the parts (firing pin) to make traceable spent brass. Will be interesting to see how long it takes for the spent microstamped brass to show up.

http://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/ag...013-BOF-03.pdf

It may not be right to punish everyone in CA but I would like to see the gun companies actually stand up against Cali's BS laws and rufuse to sell any guns to California, LE included. This crap has a way of trickling down to other states and being pushed by the Antis.
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 16:10   #2
F106 Fan

There are very few 'new' guns being added to the roster so, as a practical matter, the microstamping won't be an issue for quite a while.

We already can't get any 'new' 1911s and we can't get Gen 4 Glocks and we probably have as much variety as we'll ever get.

The entire 'unsafe gun' thing needs to be overturned. I think the Second Amendment Foundation is working on it.

I wonder how they will handle aftermarket barrels?

Richard

Last edited by F106 Fan; 05-17-2013 at 17:28..
F106 Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 16:11   #3
oldman11

This is a backdoor effort to register handguns. They been trying to push this through for over 20 years. So far no one is buying it.
Old 05-17-2013, 16:41   #4
fredj338

IT's not technically feasible at the moment, a pie in the sky, liberal BS thing to force guns out of the state. The first time 10 diff micro stamped cases show up at a crime scene, that will be the end of that BS. So I want to commit a murder, I sweep up a bag full of 9mm, then shoot my victim w/ my 9mm & replacement bbl, capture or police my brass, toss the cases at the scene, throw the bbl in the ocean, done. They'll spend months sorting that one out.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 05-17-2013 at 16:42..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 16:59   #5
dkf

The examples of microstamping I have seen (firing pins) hardly had much depth to the lettering/numbering. A file or a stone should remove it and still leave the gun functionable. Not to mention how easy firing pins can be replaced.
Old 05-17-2013, 17:15   #6
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

Revolvers

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 17:30   #7
F106 Fan

The vast majority of guns used in crimes are stolen. The microstamp will show who USED to own the weapon but provide no information whatsoever about who did the shooting.

Richard
Old 05-17-2013, 17:41   #8
dkf

Quote:
Originally Posted by F106 Fan View Post
The vast majority of guns used in crimes are stolen. The microstamp will show who USED to own the weapon but provide no information whatsoever about who did the shooting.

Richard
I know the theory however we already have something that does that.... Serial numbers.(if the weapon is found) The forensic guys in ballistics like to think they are so great at matching brass to a gun so microstamping should not even be needed.

Being able to trace a gun back to "owner" via a serial number, microstamping and etc is basically a form of a registry. If an owner gets a gun stolen then it is up to them to provide the SN if they want the gun back.

Last edited by dkf; 05-17-2013 at 17:46..
Old 05-17-2013, 21:10   #9
F106 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf View Post
Being able to trace a gun back to "owner" via a serial number, microstamping and etc is basically a form of a registry.
Sure but in California, we already have handgun registration. There are some exceptions from back when face-to-face transfers were legal but that's been a long while.

I can't imagine a single crime being solved with microstamping. It's just another bit of harassment for shooters. It's kind of like the taggant in powder issue. Gun powder is made in train car quantities, presumably all tagged the same. Then it is canned and distributed. Thousands of cans of powder spread all over the country and the Feds figure to trace it via taggants? Nonsense!

Richard
Old 05-17-2013, 21:19   #10
ithaca_deerslayer

Are the police guns going to micro-stamp, too?
ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 21:52   #11
F106 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithaca_deerslayer View Post
Are the police guns going to micro-stamp, too?
Very likely!

I wonder what they are going to do with their brass? I doubt they are going to want to lose track of it.

If the brass is the part that gets marked (?), I wonder what happens when we reload free range brass? Overstamp?

Richard
Old 05-17-2013, 22:43   #12
shotgunred
reloading nut

Well if the fireing pin is going to do the marking then it is going to be on the spent primer.

The only way this would work would be if each box of brass was marked on the brass itself. Then each box would have to be sold with a regestery. You would then have to police up your brass and destroy it or turn it in.
and motivated by pride and vanity.
shotgunred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:53   #13
EL_NinO619
EX-Swage Monkey

These libs really are the dumbest thing walking this planet. I have come to the conclusion, I would rather hang out with a jihad terrorist strapped with a suicide vest than a liberal, at least I can try and talk sense into Akbar.

As Reloaders we should adapt the load to the gun, not the gun to the load.
EL_NinO619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 18:34   #14
vafish

The attachment says that the marking has to be in 2 places.

I'm guessing breech face and firing pin or 2 places on breech face would be easiest to manufacture.

Breech face should be easy to polish as would the tip of a firing pin.

They are also talking microscopic markings, so they can't be very deep. I'd be surprised if they lasted very long with steel case ammo like wolf.

posted from my stupid smart phone, please excuse any spelling mistakes.
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 19:18   #15
thetoastmaster
NOT a sheepdog!

Send a message via ICQ to thetoastmaster Send a message via AIM to thetoastmaster
Dremel tool and a bit of polishing rouge and no more micro stamp.

People are stupid.
And skill is more important than either,
The final weapon is the brain.
All else is supplemental.

- John Steinbeck

2+2≠4!
thetoastmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 00:11   #16
Paul53
Geezer Boomer

Wonder what the start up costs for a business to replace micro stamping numbers with phrases would be. I have several ideas, but the only one that wont get me an infarction would be "property of Diane Feinstein."

An out of state company, of course.

Last edited by Paul53; 05-19-2013 at 00:12..
Paul53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 00:35   #17
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

While we're at it, there should be a large stamp cautioning the user of the possibility of high temperatures known to occur with recently spent brass.
Zombie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 01:20   #18
Gunnut 45/454

dfk
Your pdf file has a virus! Thats typical antigun folks spreading viruses as well as there BS!!! Should have known better it comes from Komifornia!
Old 05-19-2013, 06:44   #19
dwhite53

Now this will be helpful, gang-bangers go to local range and pick up an assortment of various cases, all micro-stamped. Gang-bangers go out, do their drive-by, and toss a handful of empties into the street. Now, the police may have an ID on the car, maybe, but now they have, oh, 35 different micro stamped cases they'll HAVE to follow-up on.

Now with PD resources cut thin due to lack of funds, how much more expensive did this investigation just get? You could have cases included from shooters from Mt. Shasta to San Diego. I could see gang-bangers shipping cases from one area of the state to another just to help confuse things.

Micro-stamping, I've read, is a patented process. Whoever owns the patent can require royalties from gun manufacturers adding this technology to their guns. This cost doesn't affect the state though.

All the Best,
D. White

Last edited by dwhite53; 05-19-2013 at 06:47..
dwhite53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:28   #20
F106 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhite53 View Post
Micro-stamping, I've read, is a patented process. Whoever owns the patent can require royalties from gun manufacturers adding this technology to their guns. This cost doesn't affect the state though.

All the Best,
D. White
But that's the whole point! As of right now, there are two separate non-patented processes for microstamping. The patent issues was what held up the requirement for quite a while.

As to microstamping the case head, I don't think that's how it will work. There is so much engraving there already that I don't see how they can determine, for every case available, where to put the markings.

According to the WikiPedia, they want to mark the primer:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firearm_microstamping

Note that LE is specifically exempt. This is in direct conflict with the new legislation aimed at keeping 'unsafe' weapons away from LEOs as well as the general public. Don't know if it will pass, of course, but it has a lot of implications for backup weapons. MANY, MANY, LEOs have the Ruger LCP as a little hideout gun. With the new legislation, if it passes, those weapons could no longer be sold in California, PERIOD. Same with Gen 4s and every other weapon in the showcase marked LEOs only.

So, if it is the firing pin that microstamps the primer, how hard will it be to change out the pin? Are they going to be non-interchangeable?

This whole thing is just goofy!

EIDT: 'Unsafe' in this context simply means that the gun is not on the approved firearms roster. It has nothing to do with safety. Any gun that is not on the roster can't be sold to civilians and, at the moment, can be sold to LEOs. Thanks to 2 Sheriff's Deputies in Sac County straw-buying off-roster handguns (and AR-15s?) and reselling them to civilians, the newly proposed legislation will prohibit the sales of ANY 'unsafe' weapons to LEOs.

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.ht...&f=5&t=1328585

While I am on a rant, when Jerry Brown was attorney general, he determined that retired LEOs could not keep their purchased AR-15s (purchased after the 1992 ban) and would have to turn them in upon retirement. They could also sell them to other active duty LEOs or sell them out-of-state.

An extension of this, retired LEOs may also have to dispose of their off-roster handguns. The new legislation that prohibits sales of these off-roster handguns will probably address that issue.

Richard

Last edited by F106 Fan; 05-19-2013 at 17:02..
F106 Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 16:58   #21
gwalchmai
Lucky Member

Bad guy with a 610 and a handful of .40 brass he picked up after the LEOs practiced at the local range. Make a nice novel.
gwalchmai is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 17:04   #22
Paul53
Geezer Boomer

Dang it! I was planning all kinds of stuff to put on the firing pins, Chinese fortune cookie style. Some not so nice.

Paul53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 19:36   #23
Highspeedlane
NRA Life Member

A completely unworkable lib pipe dream. On its face it looks like a thin skinned effort to ban a particular class of firearms based on its "evil" characteristics.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:05   #24
minderasr
NRA Life Member

Can we just round up all these treasonous politicians and lock them up for breaking their oath to uphold and protect the Constitution of the United States? Enough is enough!

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
- Juvenal
minderasr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:13   #25
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul53 View Post
Wonder what the start up costs for a business to replace micro stamping numbers with phrases would be. I have several ideas, but the only one that wont get me an infarction would be "property of Diane Feinstein."

An out of state company, of course.