Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-10-2014, 22:48   #1
danattherock

223 crimped primers. Anyone used RCBS primer pocket swager combo?

Trying go talk myself out of the Dillon swager as I'm counting pennies as of late. Is the RCBS setup a good performer or should I go with something blue? Thanks for any comment. Starting to get a good collection of military crimped primers. A growing issue I can see. Time to get a swager.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/235...swager-combo-2

Dan

Last edited by danattherock; 08-10-2014 at 22:48..
danattherock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 23:43   #2
fredj338

Works fine but painfully slow. Drill or drill press, chuck this up, fast & simple.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/804...ProductFinding
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 01:21   #3
JP22

This video shows how to set up and use. I bought this and it works as fast as you can put a case in and pull the handle. It's all I have used so I can't compare it to anything else.

JP22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 04:22   #4
smokey45

I have one, it works. I much prefer the Dillon tool as it works better/faster and takes up less space on the bench.
s45
Old 08-11-2014, 05:47   #5
wct097

I have the RCBS model. Mounted on my $30 Lee Press as a dedicated swaging station on my reloading bench, it works fairly well. On that particular press, however, the "swaging head", for lack of a better term, likes to slide out of the press shaft slightly on the downstroke when removing the swaged brass. This requires a little push with my finger to get it back in alignment to swage the next piece. Minor headache.

That said, by the time I paid for the swaging die and an extra Lee press that doesn't work exactly perfectly with the die, I could have bought the Dillon tool. To be fair, I bought the spare press after the fact, having using the RCBS die on my old press and on a turret for a while previously.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:10   #6
Steve in PA

I've been using the RCBS swager for several years. It works fine. If I get a few extra dollars and I'm not buying bullets, primers or powders, I may check into getting the Dillon. I think RCBS also came out with something similar to the Dillon.
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps. Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945"
Steve in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 06:40   #7
SJ 40

The RCBs works fine but is much slower than the Dillon,let your budget be your guide. SJ 40
SJ 40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 07:42   #8
unclebob

Depending if you already have a SS press and how many you are planning on doing. I have both and I would say if you have 1000 or less to do I would probably get the RCBS over that the Dillon. When I was using the RCBS the case never came off the swager as easy as it shows in the video. I would have to slam the handle forward.
GSSF Life Member
Old 08-11-2014, 08:01   #9
bush pilot

Like the others have said, the RCBS works, it is much slower than the Dillon. Do you have a friend that has a Dillon you could borrow if you only have a small quantity to process?

Send me your wheel weights, do it for the children.
bush pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 08:52   #10
WeeWilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ 40 View Post
The RCBs works fine but is much slower than the Dillon,let your budget be your guide. SJ 40
Pretty much covers it.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:54   #11
naughtymoose

We are seeing brass prices lower than they have been for years...Lots of people offering brass processing services for .223 that will clean, deprime, size,trim, anneal and swage for a few pennies per case.
naughtymoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:12   #12
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan

Dillon Super Swager 600 FTW!
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
BLUE Kool-aid drinking team member
Boxerglocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 12:28   #13
sig357fan

I have used the RCBS in the past and as other have said it does work but mine didn't work nearly as well as it did in the video, lot more effort.

finally settled on a counter sink in a rechargeable drill to "debur" the primer pocket to remove just the crimp.

sig357fan
sig357fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 18:58   #14
sessumrd

I have one and it works ok, but it mostly sits on the shelf now that I got the Lyman case prep xpres
sessumrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 19:58   #15
danattherock

Thanks for the insights guys, do appreciate it. I need to research bulk 223 brass and see where that takes me. If I can find decent brass without crimped primers, it would influence my swager ideas.

Dan
Old 08-11-2014, 23:15   #16
oneuglygun

Most of the swagers work fine, but it is a slow process. I have gone to a tapered countersink in a drill and found I can do them much faster. I generally hold the drill on my left knee with a 5 gal. bucket on the floor. Very simple , just touch the case to the countersink and drop the case in the bucket, go to the next one.
oneuglygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 13:21   #17
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
I've been using the RCBS swager for several years. It works fine. If I get a few extra dollars and I'm not buying bullets, primers or powders, I may check into getting the Dillon. I think RCBS also came out with something similar to the Dillon.
RCBS makes a bench mounted unit sim to the Dillon, about $20 cheaper. I have one, works fine.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 00:00   #18
Taterhead
Counting Beans

That is what I use. I like it. It is mounted on my Rock Chucker. I just swaged about 500 223 cases yesterday. Went pretty fast.
Taterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 16:02   #19
Ceapea

Check this out...

The guy came up with some mods for the Dillon, but you get to see the basic operation. It starts around 1:20. I don't think that it gets much faster than this.
I bought one a few weeks back, it works great, but I think that a "guide" of some sort should be included (or maybe a concave "flat block", the part that holds the case at the right elevation/height) to center the case in the swager. I find that approx. 1/3 of my cases are off center and need to be adjusted so the pin can go into the pocket. And that's for large cases. My 223's go off center much more often than that. I kinda made my own for 223 cases. The self stick felt pads for chair bottoms, cut to the right size, work perfectly. And for the most part, they are reusable. I just need to come up with something similar for my 30-06 cases.

Last edited by Ceapea; 08-13-2014 at 16:04..
Ceapea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 16:22   #20
RonS

Yes, love it, it makes it easy. Did 500 7.62x51 cases the weekend after it came in the mail.

I put a tiny smear of Lee Case Sizing Lube on it every so often, not even enough to see, just because everything is better with lubrication.