Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-29-2009, 20:19   #1
Cperez

Army Infantry, tell me about it plz

Been thinking about enlisting for a while, and was pretty interested in the being a Cav scout, but for at least the past month I've been really considering the Infantry. Ive been getting tons of anti infantry (safer) MOS talk from friends and family. Im not looking to be talked in or out of it, my mind is just about made up, I would like some of you guys with experience to weigh in. Experiences, training deployment choosing a post, etc... thanks for serving, and for anything you share.
Cperez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 21:27   #2
Cperez

anyonee
Old 03-29-2009, 21:30   #3
Javelin
Silver Membership
Got Glock?

If you like and enjoy a lot of physical outdoors stuff, training, sleeping, and fighting in the worst conditions imagineable, then Infantry is a good decision.

If you do not like pulling track and and mechanical motor pool stuff then stay out of the Mechanized Infantry such as 3rd and 4th Infantry (and anything Cav).

Though just know that when you get out that being Infantry will do nothing for you on the outside unless you were Ranger and maybe Blackwater (Xi..whatever) wants to hire you.

But Infantry is the top of the food chain and the Main Effort of the US Army. There is nothing wrong with it. Spent my time in the military as an Infantryman and I enjoyed it.

Disclaimer: This writer is not a lawyer. This product is meant for entertainment and fan or political fiction purposes only and writer accepts no liability. All material should be considered as infotainment only. Writer does not own any characters, topics or subject matter in this story. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is for entertainment only. If rash, irritation, redness, or swelling develops, discontinue reading immediately and consult your physician.
Javelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 21:42   #4
USMCSergeant

+1 for Javelin's post

If you decide to get out of the military after serving as an infantryman, finding a job will be a difficult process. It took me close to 7 months to find a job after my honorable discharge from the Marine Corps. I was very close to enlisting a second time when I finally received a callback from one of my applications.

The Army is a great service (Yes a Marine just complimented the Army) LOL..they offer many technical and high skill jobs that they will pay YOU to learn. When you get out in 2-4- or 20 years you have a skill that the civilian world needs and will pay for.

But if your heart is set on going infantry then so be it.. I was the same way, I scored well on the ASVAB and still chose to be a ground pounder. Nothing wrong with that!

Either way good luck!!
USMCSergeant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 22:08   #5
Cperez

Thanks guys, is there anything that makes an infantryman undesirable as an employee or is it simply that your skill sets dont apply directly to most jobs in the civilian sector
Old 03-30-2009, 00:26   #6
USMCSergeant

It is the skill sets issue. I'm sure that military service looks great to employers, but if another applicant has experience in the line of work you're applying for, then you dont have much of a chance in most interviews.

Then again, my service with the infantry was the best time of my life. I traveled around, made great friends, and went to work every morning knowing that I'm part of something special. You learn to fire lots of different types of weapons, and you shoot often. So... really it is up to you, if you want to go infantry and you're heart is set on it.. then do it. Also after your first enlistment is up you may have an oppertunity to switch your MOS. So you could serve a few years in the infantry and if it is not right for you, switch to something else. This is my experience though btw, I'm not sure if the Army does this or not.. and if your MOS is in high value at the time of your EAS it may not apply.
USMCSergeant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 01:01   #7
The Maggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cperez View Post
Thanks guys, is there anything that makes an infantryman undesirable as an employee or is it simply that your skill sets dont apply directly to most jobs in the civilian sector

In the civilian world, there are alot of characture traits that come from being a grunt that are great to have and hard to come by, these traits aren't on paper though and you dont get a certificate for them. I was trained to employ everything from the M9 up to the Javelin missle system in combat. Thats not something your local Best Buy usually cares about. Yes it is harder to get into a job when you leave but if I had to do it again I wouldn't take any other MOS.

Light Infantry>Mech. Infantry

The Maggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 22:14   #8
luv2brode

8 yrs infantry loved most of it
luv2brode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 07:12   #9
ssgrock3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cperez View Post
most employers have no idea what an infantryman does. When I got out I found that I was uniquely qualified to do almost nothing in the civilian world, I did have the mental and physical ability to do anything, but the skills I used in the infantry just did not directly correlate to many civvy jobs Didn't even really give me a leg up except in .gov jobs/post office
ssgrock3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 07:43   #10
hoosier#17

Nothing wrong with the Infantry. If you make it through then you can do most anything. Great comraderie and once you make it through AIT and see all the guys who couldnt hack it then there is definatlely a feeling of accomplishment. It would be a good 1st MOS and then move on to something else. You would be surprised how many employers will hire just on you being a veteran.
hoosier#17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 11:33   #11
Odin's Underlin
Odins Underling

Is the infantry what you really want to do? If you don't know for sure then don't do it. Have you done any research on your own? That is the best place to start then ask questions about the infantry. The infantry is much like any other MOS. There will be things you like and things that you absolutely hate about it. Do you like being cold, wet and hungry for long periods of time? Do you have a lot of self discipline? Can you carry a load on your back for long periods of time and distance? Could you carry someone else's load as well. Ask yourself if this what you honestly want to do.
Odin's Underlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 05:33   #12
Paraiso1

infantryman fight. Read this:

http://www.asamnet.de/~betheakr/creed.html

Read everything that you can about it, and know what you are getting yourself into.

Last edited by Paraiso1; 11-24-2012 at 18:30..
Paraiso1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 06:42   #13
ssgrock3

"Follow Me" is the Creed of the Infantryman! It may not transfer directly to a civvy job, the poster above hit the nail on the head, if you can be an infantryman, you can be anything you set your mind on. Infantry is one of the toughest jobs in the army. Our common task manual is about 5 times as thick as many other jobs, and that is what our privates have to know, let alone nco or officers. Infantry all the Way!
ssgrock3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:42   #14
GroovedG19
Laguna Blue AP2

Great link, Praiso1.
Have to burn that creed into my heart.I'm an 11X recruit.
In the United States, suppressors are viewed as sinister and as assassination tools.But in France, for example, suppressors are sold openly in stores without restriction or registration.In fact in France and Switzerland, you can be fined by law enforcement for discharging a firearm without a sound suppressor in certain locations. - Police Magazine August 2008
GroovedG19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:44   #15
deadday

But if you join the Cav you get a cool hat and spurs...Chicks dig the spurs....
There's one less tornado in Texas, a saddle is empty tonight...There's one hell of a cowboy in heaven, at the big rodeo in the sky. RIP LCpl Blake Wafford, Spc. Devon Gibbons, PFC Dean Bright, SSg Brian Craig. In the field we had a code of honor: you watch my back, I watch yours. Back here there's NOTHING.
deadday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:53   #16
Cperez

Thanks a lot guys, i've been doing a lot of research and im sold. I love being part of a team and a good challenge, I love the outdoors, working untill exhaustion and shooting. Im great at following directions and getting things done. I want to serve my country and and hopefully relieve some of the brave men who have been serving in the gwot. Thanks a lot for the words of wisdom guys, and again a big thanks for serving!
Old 04-01-2009, 10:54   #17
Cperez

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadday View Post
Im a hetero dude and I kinda dig the cool hat and spurs too lol
Old 04-01-2009, 13:17   #18
GroovedG19
Laguna Blue AP2

Seriously guys, that hat has to be the most stylish headwear in the US Armed Forces ever.Maybe I should've went Cav Scout just for the hat.

About those spurs though, they do make a good impact weapon.
In the United States, suppressors are viewed as sinister and as assassination tools.But in France, for example, suppressors are sold openly in stores without restriction or registration.In fact in France and Switzerland, you can be fined by law enforcement for discharging a firearm without a sound suppressor in certain locations. - Police Magazine August 2008
GroovedG19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 15:25   #19
Bren
NRA Life Member

If you want to do things that are interesting and exciting and get the discipline that will help you succeed with college and work later (and get a big bonus to pay for it), try Infantry. Infantry is the most flexible job in the Army, if you are in to be a soldier, rather than to train for something any POS could do in civilian life.

If you want something that might help you get some low-level blue collar job later, don't try the military. The civilian world isn't really looking for matching military qualifications - that's mainly a myth. It might get you some preference in law enforcement, but Infantry is as good as any for that. If you think you are going to get some technical job in the military and come out and walk right into great civilian jobs, you are fooling yourself - civilian jobs look for civilian education and certifications.
Old 04-02-2009, 15:27   #20
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadday View Post
I have a cool hat and I get to wear it every day and I'm Infantry (See avatar). I work with a LOT of cav scouts - in 2 years of doing that, I've only seen their stetsons hanging on walls.